Question?

ExperiencedRookie

With injury I like him better as both. I don't think you come back completely from this if your Gurley. I think Gordon is the better value.
That was my initial reaction following the NFL Draft as well. I guess I had too many people hype me up on Gurley since then.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
That was my initial reaction following the NFL Draft as well. I guess I had too many people hype me up on Gurley since then.
I get it, he was incredible in college, but this isn't college, and he will be slowed by the knee for who knows how long,. Take Gordon, and RUN!

In fact with the picks listed, I might go Gordon, top 2 wrs, then pick up Yeldon on the other side.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not sure Cooper is this sure fire stud... One, he plays for Oakland.... Who is the last WR to make a difference in Oakland? Also, Cooper had a great year last year, but was pretty inconsistent the year prior before Lane arrived at Bama. I don't see that type of coach in Oakland, can they keep his mind in the game?

As far as the Watkins vs Cooper debate.... I like Watkins better as a ling term prospect more than I like Cooper. I think there are better WR's that will come out of this draft... The issue will be who.... ODB sure wasn't the top WR this time last year, and he was a flat out stud. I think this year will be similar.... Just a matter of finding out who that guy is...

Maybe it's Parker. Kid has the talent and seemed to come back from the foot injury. I like him as a sleeper big time difference maker.

ExperiencedRookie

Not sure Cooper is this sure fire stud... One, he plays for Oakland.... Who is the last WR to make a difference in Oakland? Also, Cooper had a great year last year, but was pretty inconsistent the year prior before Lane arrived at Bama. I don't see that type of coach in Oakland, can they keep his mind in the game?

As far as the Watkins vs Cooper debate.... I like Watkins better as a ling term prospect more than I like Cooper. I think there are better WR's that will come out of this draft... The issue will be who.... ODB sure wasn't the top WR this time last year, and he was a flat out stud. I think this year will be similar.... Just a matter of finding out who that guy is...

Maybe it's Parker. Kid has the talent and seemed to come back from the foot injury. I like him as a sleeper big time difference maker.
Interesting take. Maybe it is Parker. Tannehill seems to developing well.

As far as ODB, I think it was a whirlwind for a perfect "breakout" scenario. He was hurt and slated to miss games when everyone was drafting last year. He also seemed to be buried on the depth chart behind Cruz and everyone's favorite breakout candidate Rueban Randle.

Then BANG..Cruz goes down, ODB comes back, and Randle is merely average. The ground game was also incredibly ineffective, and next thing you know, Eli is forcing it to ODB constantly!! The only reason he's in the position to make "the catch" is because of Eli's need to throw the ball into bad spots.

Will ODB continue to be this freak if Eli has someone else to throw the ball to? Will he continue to get force fed the ball if the running game gets going? Guess we'll see.

I like Agholar and Dorsett as my rookie WRs to watch personally. Dorsett is prob more of a future/dynasty play.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Interesting take. Maybe it is Parker. Tannehill seems to developing well.

As far as ODB, I think it was a whirlwind for a perfect "breakout" scenario. He was hurt and slated to miss games when everyone was drafting last year. He also seemed to be buried on the depth chart behind Cruz and everyone's favorite breakout candidate Rueban Randle.

Then BANG..Cruz goes down, ODB comes back, and Randle is merely average. The ground game was also incredibly ineffective, and next thing you know, Eli is forcing it to ODB constantly!! The only reason he's in the position to make "the catch" is because of Eli's need to throw the ball into bad spots.

Will ODB continue to be this freak if Eli has someone else to throw the ball to? Will he continue to get force fed the ball if the running game gets going? Guess we'll see.

I like Agholar and Dorsett as my rookie WRs to watch personally. Dorsett is prob more of a future/dynasty play.
Are you saying you think ODB is poised to bust this year?

ExperiencedRookie

Are you saying you think ODB is poised to bust this year?
I don't know if I'd quite go that far, but it certainly wouldn't blow my mind.

Opportunity and targets is half the battle to being productive. I don't think anyone thought that Kelvin Benjamin's tape was incredibly impressive, but his stats were really nice because of all the targets and opportunity.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't know if I'd quite go that far, but it certainly wouldn't blow my mind.

Opportunity and targets is half the battle to being productive. I don't think anyone thought that Kelvin Benjamin's tape was incredibly impressive, but his stats were really nice because of all the targets and opportunity.
Nice job on hedging that One ;)

Targets are definitely a huge part of determining production. As far as ODB, not sure I see too much changing in terms of targets. Cruz Will take a few... But also free up some space as well. I think hes a pretty safe bet for a top 5 WR season.

efactor

Coming at you
Beckham is going to be a monster. Closest thing to Jerry Rice I have seen, since well, Jerry Rice. The total package.

Giants will move him all over the field and get him the ball. Eli is no dummy.

Last edited:

efactor

Coming at you
I get it, he was incredible in college, but this isn't college, and he will be slowed by the knee for who knows how long,. Take Gordon, and RUN!

In fact with the picks listed, I might go Gordon, top 2 wrs, then pick up Yeldon on the other side.

It isn't college for Gordon either :cool:

While I think Gordon will be a good RB, Gurley can be something special. In dynasty, I'll take that gamble. Rams wouldn't have taken him at 10 if the knee didn't check out and they are working on their OL. Patience is called for here.

Phicinfan

Administrator
It isn't college for Gordon either :cool:

While I think Gordon will be a good RB, Gurley can be something special. In dynasty, I'll take that gamble. Rams wouldn't have taken him at 10 if the knee didn't check out and they are working on their OL. Patience is called for here.
Not disagreeing, but ask San Fran how that worked out for them.

ExperiencedRookie

Nice job on hedging that One ;)

Targets are definitely a huge part of determining production. As far as ODB, not sure I see too much changing in terms of targets. Cruz Will take a few... But also free up some space as well. I think hes a pretty safe bet for a top 5 WR season.
Yeah, did you like my sneaky little politician play there? LOL. Im such a coward.

ODB is probably the most likely to disappoint among the top WRs though. Whether its from his situation changing a little bit, or even not averaging that same insane PPG last year and his owners not getting everything they hoped for.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Ahhhh yes. If you remember correctly though, he was nowhere near the prospect that Gurley is though. Lattimore was a 4th round gamble. Gurley was the 10th overall player off the board
Knees are knees, and that was a bad, bad injury Gurley had. Don't care how great you are, it slows you down. Look how long it took Gore to get up to speed.....

ExperiencedRookie

Knees are knees, and that was a bad, bad injury Gurley had. Don't care how great you are, it slows you down. Look how long it took Gore to get up to speed.....
It hasn't always destroyed careers. It didn't seem to even phase AP. And I know I know, everyone seems to think that somehow AP doesn't qualify because he has super human genes or something, but a knee is a knee is a knee.

Also, I have to believe that these NFL scouts and doctors know far more than any of us. If the compilation of information on his injury still has him not only being the top RB selected, but also in the first 10 picks, I have to lean towards the side of optimism. St Louis could have easily taken Gordon instead, but they didn't.

bodey24

Staff member
Lattimore and Mcgahee have had the two worst looking knee injuries I have ever seen.

ODB will produce monster numbers when he's on the field. However, I think his hamstrings will always hamper him and cause him to miss a couple of games each year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
When was his big knee injury and how long did it take?
When he was drafted out of Miami he had knee issues, at least once, and it was then he had a slow start. Obviously eventually got better.
McGahee was productive, but never what he was in college in the pros. My point exactly.

Net, Gurley MAY be what we was, or he MAY not be. I get some in dynasty are willing to roll dice to get that. ME....give me a Gordon, in a great system for him, as a sure fire solid #1, then I can build around him and not have to wait...and see IF...