Question?

The Bandon Boy

Getting ready to do a rookie draft in a dynasty league. Standard scoring. I have picks 1.1,1.2,1.4,1.5 (yes I sucked last year made trades looking to this year) so my first 2 picks was going with Cooper and either Gurley or Gordon. Which rb should I take. I have Andre Williams rb Danny Woodhead and Joesph Randle.

The Bandon Boy

Guess I could do that and take 2 wr with picks 4 and 5. Never crossed my mind. What 2 wr would you take? I like DeAndre Parker and Nelson Agholor or Kevin White

ExperiencedRookie

I'm actually not a big fan of this years crop of WRs. Agholor is probably in the best shape as far as targets go.

Dorsett is probably my favorite just because of his situation. TY has contract talks coming up, and after Indy pays Andrew Luck, they might not want to be giving a ton to TY. Plus, Andre is a short term play for Indy at WR.

I kind of like Lockette is Seattle as well. The talent at WR is so crappy in Seattle, it doesn't take much to rise to the top. Kid was a gamer at K St.

There's one other rookie who is probably my favorite to be a stud, and that's Tevin Coleman. ATL is a nice system with other solid offensive pieces, but no real competition at RB. This kid led FBS in total yards last year.

ExperiencedRookie

The raiders have actually turned the corner in my opinion. Carr has potential, and he now has targets plus this RB is kind of exciting. I like Cooper the best of the rookie WR crop.
Yeah, Cooper is hands down the best, but is he AJ Green good? That's what it's going to take for him to be a fantasy star in my opinion.

I don't mind Carr at QB, and Crabtree is an ok option, but not great. No TE and I'm not getting terribly excited about Latavius at RB. I guess I'm just holding on to the stigma that Oakland is a fantasy wasteland.

ExperiencedRookie

Mychal Rivera was a top 15 TE last season with really no other threat on offense and Carr in his first season.
Ok, let's take a close look at this kid. I'm assuming by your logic here that you're a believer in more weapons is better. Jason Witten's stats are better because of Dez, Antonio Gates are better because of Keenan Allen etc etc.

Rivera had 99 targets, 58 receptions, 534 yards, and 4 TDs. In standard scoring with 0.5 PPR he was tied for 15th in scoring among fantasy TEs. So when you say "Top 15" it's by the skin of his teeth.

His 58% reception rate is trash. No argument about it. Dude ranked 9th in targets among TEs but was tied for 13th in receptions. His yardage ranked him as the #17 TE. None of this is good. The guy was getting a lot of opportunity, but wasn't doing much with it.

Maybe life was hard because the other offensive weapons were no good. I can see that. Would explain the low number of TDs I guess. I just don't see this guy as someone who strikes fear into the heart of a defensive coordinator.

JScott

Administrator
Your current RBs would dictate Gurley and Gordon with the first two picks. That likely means giving up Cooper (1.03) and getting White + ? with the 4th and 5th.

Any chance of making a deal from 1.05 to 1.03? Or even 1.04 to 1.03? Because I do think Cooper will be worth it.

The Bandon Boy

Yes he is. He said he likes the 2 rb and Cooper. I have tried to trade him many times. He isn't moving.

My wr are Cecil Shorts,Allen Hurns,Brandin Cooks and Marqise Lee. Like I said before my team is bad but I am trying to go young.

JScott

Administrator
If there's no way to get the 1.03 then I think there are 2 options given your players:

Gurley, Cooper, White, Yeldon

Or

Gurley, Gordon, White, and trade the 1.05 for a later pick (where you take a 2nd tied WR) and a 1st next year.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Gotta agree, you take Gurley and Gordon, and then take best Wr next, or next two. You obviously need the help, so get the talent while you can. White and Agelor(sp?) are solid there.

bodey24

Staff member
Young stud wrs are gold in dynasty leagues. No way I would pass on Cooper for a rb. I would take cooper, gurley and then white at 1.4.

JScott

Administrator
Young stud wrs are gold in dynasty leagues. No way I would pass on Cooper for a rb. I would take cooper, gurley and then white at 1.4.

Not disagreeing but Sammy Watkins was in the same position. Do you pass on Gurley or Gordon to take Watkins, knowing what you know now?

Young studs WRs are gold now, especially since Julio and AJ, but who since them has elevated to true stud level, not the promise/hype of a stud? Everyone's chasing the next young stud WR but I haven't seen many reach expectations.