Question?

ExperiencedRookie

I think this is an interesting topic and I'm enjoying the banter, so let's keep it going.

Favorite rookies for this year and going forward in a dynasty:

Obviously we all like Gurley and Coopers talents. Can't deny Gordon's situation. Outside of those top guys though, who are some sneakier candidates to be really productive players?

I like that Perriman in Baltimore simply because he should get a lot of opportunities to see the field. I'm also really high on Tevin Coleman

ExperiencedRookie

How about DeVante Parker I know his foot is hurt but he should get a lot of looks for the Phins.
I don't know what to think of that kid. Landry is a solid WR, and now they have added Stills as well. Parker would need to get onto the field and play pretty solid in order to get opportunity.

I don't really know much about this kid though. He must be pretty talented to go in the first round for sure.

JScott

Administrator
I think Yeldon is being overlooked some. Not the pedigree of Gurley, but he has a similar situation to Gordon, just not on as good of a team. But with the pieces JAX has put in place (Robinson, Lee, Thomas, Bortles) I think there's reasons to be optimistic on Yeldon's future.

ExperiencedRookie

I think Yeldon is being overlooked some. Not the pedigree of Gurley, but he has a similar situation to Gordon, just not on as good of a team. But with the pieces JAX has put in place (Robinson, Lee, Thomas, Bortles) I think there's reasons to be optimistic on Yeldon's future.
I think Yeldon and then get the chills as I'm reminded how awful that run game was last year. There were a lot of people who thought that Gerhart was going to be solid in 2014, and then he was simply terrible. Jacksonville scares me. Yeldon smells like Bishop Sankey

JScott

Administrator
I think Yeldon and then get the chills as I'm reminded how awful that run game was last year. There were a lot of people who thought that Gerhart was going to be solid in 2014, and then he was simply terrible. Jacksonville scares me. Yeldon smells like Bishop Sankey

I told anyone that would listen that they were nuts for valuing Gerhart going into last year. In most cases though, that was for Redraft. Give Yeldon a year or two, while JAX starts improving and I think he'll show why he's not Sankey. Just don't expect much in 2015. But I do think JAX sticks with him, unlike TEN seems to be doing with Sankey.

ExperiencedRookie

I'm with you there. I wanted nothing to do with Gerhart. There were people who thought he could be a good dynasty play last year though, the same as people seem to think about Yeldon this year.

bodey24

Staff member
Not disagreeing but Sammy Watkins was in the same position. Do you pass on Gurley or Gordon to take Watkins, knowing what you know now?

Young studs WRs are gold now, especially since Julio and AJ, but who since them has elevated to true stud level, not the promise/hype of a stud? Everyone's chasing the next young stud WR but I haven't seen many reach expectations.
Sammy Watkins isn't the same type of wr and didn't have coopers talent IMO. But that pretty much makes my point. Watkins had an ok rookie season and he's still being drafted early second in dynasty startups. You wrs with potential hold their value a lot longer than rbs do. If a rb has a mediocre rookie season they lose a lot more value. In dynasty's I would rather take the chance on hitting on a 21 year old wr who could be a stud for the next 9-10 years. Wrs have more value than rbs which is why so many are drafted in the first round of dynasty startups.

I know what you are saying but I've never been high on Watkins but in startups he's being drafted earlier than gurley and Gordon.

ExperiencedRookie

Sammy Watkins isn't the same type of wr and didn't have coopers talent IMO. But that pretty much makes my point. Watkins had an ok rookie season and he's still being drafted early second in dynasty startups. You wrs with potential hold their value a lot longer than rbs do. If a rb has a mediocre rookie season they lose a lot more value. In dynasty's I would rather take the chance on hitting on a 21 year old wr who could be a stud for the next 9-10 years. Wrs have more value than rbs which is why so many are drafted in the first round of dynasty startups.

I know what you are saying but I've never been high on Watkins but in startups he's being drafted earlier than gurley and Gordon.
I like your logic. Good input and it's hard for me to argue against it.

I'll play Devils advocate though and say that finding the next Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, MJD, etc etc is far more valuable than the next Julio simply because of the demand and scarcity at the RB position.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I will add in Langdon for Chicago. Forte won't be there forever, and he is a similar type back who is excellent catching the ball.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
But can Gurley and Gordon catch the ball like those rbs? From what I've read they aren't strong in the passing game.
Gordon actually was pretty good for Wisconsin in receptions. He is the perfect fit for SD, and I would take him way before Gurley.

bodey24

Staff member
I like your logic. Good input and it's hard for me to argue against it.

I'll play Devils advocate though and say that finding the next Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, MJD, etc etc is far more valuable than the next Julio simply because of the demand and scarcity at the RB position.
You would think that would be the case but I don't think it is. Look at LeVeon Bell he is clearly the best young RB in the game. However, he is not going number 1 in most dynasty startups. I just started one last week and was able to get him at 1.7. There were 9 WR's taken in the first round, along with Bell, Gronk, and Luck. Usually I do not draft any position other than WR in the first round but decided to change it up for this dynasty league. The best teams I have built in dynasty leagues I have built around WR. In almost all of my startups this year I haven't drafted my first RB until round 5. Evans and ODB has great rookie seasons and OBJ is going number 1 in most drafts and Evans is a top 5 pick. If cooper and Gurley/Gordon turn out to be great Cooper will still be drafted earlier than both rbs. Lacy has been solid his first few seasons and isn't being drafted until the early 2nd.

ExperiencedRookie

You would think that would be the case but I don't think it is. Look at LeVeon Bell he is clearly the best young RB in the game. However, he is not going number 1 in most dynasty startups. I just started one last week and was able to get him at 1.7. There were 9 WR's taken in the first round, along with Bell, Gronk, and Luck. Usually I do not draft any position other than WR in the first round but decided to change it up for this dynasty league. The best teams I have built in dynasty leagues I have built around WR. In almost all of my startups this year I haven't drafted my first RB until round 5. Evans and ODB has great rookie seasons and OBJ is going number 1 in most drafts and Evans is a top 5 pick. If cooper and Gurley/Gordon turn out to be great Cooper will still be drafted earlier than both rbs. Lacy has been solid his first few seasons and isn't being drafted until the early 2nd.
Dynasty format is a HUGE factor too. If you play without a salary cap or anything that forces teams to have to release players, or even any kind of contract years, then RBs are far more important.

However, if you're playing in a straight up dynasty where you get to own a player for their entire career, then WRs is where you'll get the most value. Obviously their careers are longer