Question?

ExperiencedRookie

When he was drafted out of Miami he had knee issues, at least once, and it was then he had a slow start. Obviously eventually got better.
McGahee was productive, but never what he was in college in the pros. My point exactly.

Net, Gurley MAY be what we was, or he MAY not be. I get some in dynasty are willing to roll dice to get that. ME....give me a Gordon, in a great system for him, as a sure fire solid #1, then I can build around him and not have to wait...and see IF...
I thought the same thing about Montee Ball a few years ago. A highly drafted RB out of Wisconsin, in a great system, playing with a great QB. Cant miss, right??

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I thought the same thing about Montee Ball a few years ago. A highly drafted RB out of Wisconsin, in a great system, playing with a great QB. Cant miss, right??
Good point, its a crap shoot for sure, but I will still take Gordon over Gurley everyday even twice on Sunday.....too risky for me for a high pick like that.

ExperiencedRookie

Good point, its a crap shoot for sure, but I will still take Gordon over Gurley everyday even twice on Sunday.....too risky for me for a high pick like that.
Wanna know how dumb I was about rookie drafts? In that same year, I held pick 1.05 in my first ever rookie draft and I got Montee Ball. I told the 4 idiots who picked in front of me how dumb they were for letting me get Montee Ball at 1.05. I had him ranked as the #1 rookie in that class, and had been trying to trade up to 1.03 to pick him after I saw the first 2 guys pass on him.

First 4 picks were 1.01 Leveon Bell 1.02 Tavon Austin 1.03 Corderelle Patterson 1.04 Eddie Lacy. The 2 guys who took RB in front of me haven't let me forgot about how I ranked Montee Ball ahead of Lacy and Bell. Turns out...Im the idiot.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Wanna know how dumb I was about rookie drafts? In that same year, I held pick 1.05 in my first ever rookie draft and I got Montee Ball. I told the 4 idiots who picked in front of me how dumb they were for letting me get Montee Ball at 1.05. I had him ranked as the #1 rookie in that class, and had been trying to trade up to 1.03 to pick him after I saw the first 2 guys pass on him.

First 4 picks were 1.01 Leveon Bell 1.02 Tavon Austin 1.03 Corderelle Patterson 1.04 Eddie Lacy. The 2 guys who took RB in front of me haven't let me forgot about how I ranked Montee Ball ahead of Lacy and Bell. Turns out...Im the idiot.
yes, but you were on par with the two who took WR ;)

You have to go with your gut, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I have found that the back may not be all that, but the system CAN make the back. Ball for all his hoohah was in a pass first system, SD will want to run to protect Rivers, as Denver will run more this year to protect Manning IMO.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Yeah, did you like my sneaky little politician play there? LOL. Im such a coward.

ODB is probably the most likely to disappoint among the top WRs though. Whether its from his situation changing a little bit, or even not averaging that same insane PPG last year and his owners not getting everything they hoped for.
Well I don't think anyone can expect the same ppg.... Just insane.... BUT.... Do know what WR's you consider the top, but ö think there are others more likely to disappoint than ODB.

Here is an example.... Not that I think he will bust bit loom at Dem Thomas. Pure stud...BUT..... Change in offense... Aging QB... Would anyone be shocked if he landed outside the top 10?

Here's another....Cal Johnson is Megaton... He is a STUD...BUT... Is age catching up? Is his health starting to fail him?

There are questions on anyone.....

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
When he was drafted out of Miami he had knee issues, at least once, and it was then he had a slow start. Obviously eventually got better.
McGahee was productive, but never what he was in college in the pros. My point exactly.

Net, Gurley MAY be what we was, or he MAY not be. I get some in dynasty are willing to roll dice to get that. ME....give me a Gordon, in a great system for him, as a sure fire solid #1, then I can build around him and not have to wait...and see IF...
Gore had serious knee Injuries in college and it took several years for him to get past.....

I really don't see how one can say Gurley appears to be more of a special prospect than Gordon.. ...both look like they could be pure studs. Gordon...outside of the Buckeyes shutting him down in the championship game, this guy was just remarkable last year, despite those knowing he was the the whole offense.

I likr Gurley, I really do... But I can't help but remember how great Nick Chubb looked in his place and how Great Gordon looked as well. Just more risk with Gurley, I'll stick with Gordon.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Serious question.... Hoe many live games that Montee Ball played in did u watch? Second serious question... Same for Gordon, how many games?

As one who watched many of both, I don't think there is a question who is the more talented back from a pure talent stamdpoint...bit u would have to watch both to have an option those questions.

ExperiencedRookie

Serious question.... Hoe many live games that Montee Ball played in did u watch? Second serious question... Same for Gordon, how many games?

As one who watched many of both, I don't think there is a question who is the more talented back from a pure talent stamdpoint...bit u would have to watch both to have an option those questions.
Saw them both play. Big 10 is huge here in Nebraska country. I remember both of them (among every other Wisconsin RB) running wild all over NU.

efactor

Coming at you

Gore was drafted in 2005 and he split carries with Kevin Barlow and finished his rookie year with 600 yards rushing. They realized Gore was the much better back and made him the bell cow in 2006 and he finished with 1695 yards rushing. I wouldn't call that a "slow start".

Also, comparing Gurley to Lattimore is a huge stretch to make your point. Lattimore was taken with a compensatory pick in the 4th round as a lottery ticket. Horrible injury. Gurley was taken at 10 overall after a very extensive examination.

Gordon may end up being the better player, but your comparisons to Gore and Lattimore are way off base. Gore has never had an issue with his knee since he was drafted and Lattimore should have never been drafted because the injury was soooooooooooo severe.

Last edited:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Saw them both play. Big 10 is huge here in Nebraska country. I remember both of them (among every other Wisconsin RB) running wild all over NU.
I think Gordon is a much more talented and dynamic runner.... As a Nebraska fan you should have a certain Gordon performance scarred in your memory ;)

ExperiencedRookie

I think Gordon is a much more talented and dynamic runner.... As a Nebraska fan you should have a certain Gordon performance scarred in your memory ;)
First of all, I hate Nebraska football. The fans here are what make it so annoying. All of them still think NU is the best program in the world like its 1994.

Secondly, while I do remember the Gordon performance, I actually have a NU/Wisc game that I much prefer.

M. Gordon 9 216 24.0 1 TD
M. Ball 21 202 9.6 3 TD
J. White 15 109 7.3 4 TD

That's ALL in one game back in 2012 when Wisc blew out NU by 40. Hilarious!

ExperiencedRookie

Well I don't think anyone can expect the same ppg.... Just insane.... BUT.... Do know what WR's you consider the top, but ö think there are others more likely to disappoint than ODB.

Here is an example.... Not that I think he will bust bit loom at Dem Thomas. Pure stud...BUT..... Change in offense... Aging QB... Would anyone be shocked if he landed outside the top 10?

Here's another....Cal Johnson is Megaton... He is a STUD...BUT... Is age catching up? Is his health starting to fail him?

There are questions on anyone.....
Yeah, I try not to focus on "health" as a question about a player unless they've proven to be made of glass over and over. I don't think Cal has quite been bad enough to weigh health too heavy for him

Im not a big DT fan, but I wouldn't worry about his production going to crap, especially with Julius gone.

No worries about Julio. Even less about Dez. AJ feels pretty darn safe to me too