A.Smith or C.Kaepernick

Which 49er QB gives them the best chance to reach the 2012 SB ??

• Total voters

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, just for tickles and grins..

2012 stats.

A.Smith - 152 completions vs. 217 attempts. 1,731 yards, 70% completion rate, 13 TDs, 5 Ints, 4 fumbles, 76 yards rushing - ave. 24 attempts per game passing
C.kaepernick - 87 completions vs. 129 attempts. 1,073 yards, 3 tds, 1 Ints, 5 fumbles, 240 yards rushing, 3 rush Tds - ave. 25.8 or 26 attempts per game passing

A.Smith - ave 11.4 yards per pass
C.Kaepernick - 12.3 yards per pass

A.Smith - 6 wins, 2 loss and 1 tie(game he got hurt)
C.Kaepernick - 3 wins, 1 loss and 1 tie(game A.Smith got hurt and he came in)

So, nothing has really changed except the names, and better down field passing by Kaepernick.

Net, they have lost nothing, and are gaining experience for a young Qb.

efactor

Coming at you
Okay, just for tickles and grins..

2012 stats.

A.Smith - 152 completions vs. 217 attempts. 1,731 yards, 70% completion rate, 13 TDs, 5 Ints, 4 fumbles, 76 yards rushing - ave. 24 attempts per game passing
C.kaepernick - 87 completions vs. 129 attempts. 1,073 yards, 3 tds, 1 Ints, 5 fumbles, 240 yards rushing, 3 rush Tds - ave. 25.8 or 26 attempts per game passing

A.Smith - ave 11.4 yards per pass
C.Kaepernick - 12.3 yards per pass

A.Smith - 6 wins, 2 loss and 1 tie(game he got hurt)
C.Kaepernick - 3 wins, 1 loss and 1 tie(game A.Smith got hurt and he came in)

So, nothing has really changed except the names, and better down field passing by Kaepernick.

Net, they have lost nothing, and are gaining experience for a young Qb.

Good post.

However, far too indepth for the two idiots on the board to comprehend..................;)

jjtweeks

Makes perfect sense to me. Shows me that Smith is the better QB thanks for the info Phi.
You got to come up with something better than calling someone idiots. We are all going on hunches, it's just that my hunch has substance and history to it. Smith has a proven history. You guys are guessing more than me about Kap. What do you have to go on. And really I got a good part of the answer for me already in the Ram game. If you can't win a game against a sub 500 team when your defense holds the opponent to 9 points, and you give them 8 well thats giving your team the best chance to win right. Thats your point right?. Gives them the best chance? It's is a hunch to say smith could have won that game but if the defense would have held them to 9 points I would venture to say yes. You can refer to my post as idiotic but please don't refer to me as that. I try not to sink as low to name calling. Anyway I would beat Mud hands down at that

Phicinfan

Administrator
Makes perfect sense to me. Shows me that Smith is the better QB thanks for the info Phi.
You got to come up with something better than calling someone idiots. We are all going on hunches, it's just that my hunch has substance and history to it. Smith has a proven history. You guys are guessing more than me about Kap. What do you have to go on. And really I got a good part of the answer for me already in the Ram game. If you can't win a game against a sub 500 team when your defense holds the opponent to 9 points, and you give them 8 well thats giving your team the best chance to win right. Thats your point right?. Gives them the best chance? It's is a hunch to say smith could have won that game but if the defense would have held them to 9 points I would venture to say yes. You can refer to my post as idiotic but please don't refer to me as that. I try not to sink as low to name calling. Anyway I would beat Mud hands down at that

Please take the opportunity to explain to me how A.Smith is better. C.Kap has almost equal stats in 3 less games, with a higher yards per attempt, and more rushing yards.

So again, please explain to me why A.Smith is better. Or please go and re-look at the stats, and return to reality.

Thanks

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
2 Straight games without a TD pass isn't exactly anything to write home about. At the very least an honest person would admit that thus far Cap hasn't done any better then Smith and when he loses one more he'll be worse in the W-L rankings and he is going to lose.

By worse I mean the same number of losses in less games started. I've started to realize that I need to paint pictures here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Administrator
2 Straight games without a TD pass isn't exactly anything to write home about. At the very least an honest person would admit that thus far Cap hasn't done any better then Smith and when he loses one more he'll be worse in the W-L rankings and he is going to lose.

By worse I mean the same number of losses in less games started. I've started to realize that I need to paint pictures here.

This is blatently wrong.

First he has four games out of 5 with a TD. Rushing not passing in 2 but still TDs.
Secondly, he has almost surpassed in 4.5 games what A.Smith has done in 8.5 games.

So I say again, how is he not better?

Maybe, just maybe, you two should step away from the he was injured and not lost his job stance and simply look at the numbers.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Mud:
2 Straight games without a TD pass

PhiCin:
This is blatently wrong.

PhiCin:
Rushing not passing

Mud: :
2 Straight games without a TD pass

LOL! Fact is, PhiCin, my statement it is the truth.

PhiCin:
Secondly, he has almost surpassed in 4.5 games what A.Smith has done in 8.5 games.

I can see your points PhiCin but can you see that he has almost lost more games as QB for the 9ers as Smith did and he's done it in less games? Give it until the end of regular season and I'll readily admit that the youngster surpassed my expectations if he hasn't got a record that includes as many or more losses as Smith in less games played than Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
Why are people stuck on this right and wrong way to do things? This is the nfl it's a business people get cut and fired all the time. It sucks but this isn't new. Find a new sport to follow if this bothers you.

Also didn't see anyone say how wrong it was for Baltimore to fire Cam Cameron.

Can we get pass the record smith has vs kaps record. people act like thats the only way to tell how things will turn out. Like efactor said I think harbaugh knows a little bit more then us.

jjtweeks

For me personally, the Kap in for Smith doesn't bother me a bit the way it went down(just think it was a bad call). I am posting to what the thread ask(who gives the niners a better chance) I just can't seem to see it and the more games that go on the less I even see it. Some of my posts were bits of sarcasm because people(myself included) were referring to stats and it's obvious who has the better ones but that is besides the point. Who gives them the best chance, I admit I have no Idea, but my money is on Smith. Absolutely right that Harbaugh knows what he is doing but people make mistakes and that is my view. To be honest I think Kap will be a better QB than Smith could be but I fail to see that he gives them a better shot this year.

jjtweeks

I feel that Smith was the better fit with this season's niners and could take them further do to being the lead QB longer and knows the system better. I think Kap needs time to play with the team but not when they are in the middle of a playoff run. I would think totally different if the niners weren't going to the playoffs

Phicinfan

Administrator
Mud:

PhiCin:

PhiCin:

Mud: :

LOL! Fact is, PhiCin, my statement it is the truth.

PhiCin:

I can see your points PhiCin but can you see that he has almost lost more games as QB for the 9ers as Smith did and he's done it in less games? Give it until the end of regular season and I'll readily admit that the youngster surpassed my expectations if he hasn't got a record that includes as many or more losses as Smith in less games played than Smith.

my blatently wrong was on the whole thought of he is equal to or worse than Smith.

He has almost surpassed Smith's stats in almost half the time. where he is weak in passing tds, he has tripled in rush tds.

I will add what difference does it make if he loses this week adn doesnt' rest of season? lets compare that once they have played the same number of games

cctekguy

Staff member
Sorry guys, I can't help using a Danny White comparison to express my point of view.

White was a very good QB. Over a 6 year span the Cowboys were 12-4, 11-4, 6-3 (strike season), 12-4, 3-3 (injured) and 10-4.

In 1980 the Cowboys made it to the NLCS and lost.

In 1981 they made it to the NLCS and lost.

In 1982 (strike season) they made it to the NLCS and lost

In 1983 they lost in the wild card round.

In 1984 (without White for most of the season) they did not make the play-offs.

In 1985, they made it to the divisional play offs and lost.

Seeing a pattern? Lots of wins, lots of play-off appearances, no conference championships and no super bowls.

I think Harbaugh knows that Smith is a good QB but that he is not a champion.

Landry wasted 6 years having "good" seasons with White. When White was finally replaced the championship talent on the team was gone.

Harbaugh knows that championship window will only be open for a short time and that he won't be satisfied with "getting close". He might be throwing away some very good seasons but NOW is the time to reach for the brass ring and he's not gonna let his mediocre QB stand in the way of that.

bobbeaux

For me personally, the Kap in for Smith doesn't bother me a bit the way it went down(just think it was a bad call). I am posting to what the thread ask(who gives the niners a better chance) I just can't seem to see it and the more games that go on the less I even see it. Some of my posts were bits of sarcasm because people(myself included) were referring to stats and it's obvious who has the better ones but that is besides the point. Who gives them the best chance, I admit I have no Idea, but my money is on Smith. Absolutely right that Harbaugh knows what he is doing but people make mistakes and that is my view. To be honest I think Kap will be a better QB than Smith could be but I fail to see that he gives them a better shot this year.

finally getting back to the thread question . . . smith has gone thru some growing pains while also not having much talent around him . . . they finally get him some decent wr's and crabtree finally starts playing up to his potential . . . he was having a great year, imo, and got injured . . . i can understand thinking kap is the future and let's get him some experience and he'll most likely get at least one game of experience in the playoffs . . . but back to the question of this thread . . . who gives them the best chance to reach the super bowl . . . i believe smith's past experience especially in the playoffs would give them the best chance . . . when the game speeds up in the playoffs, we'll probably see kap having the deer in the headlights . . . and again, this is imo . . . ;)

efactor

Coming at you
Games don't speed up in the playoffs. Not like he won't be playing big games in the next two weeks. This time of the season is extremely intense. If you don't think the game with Seattle will be intense, you obviously haven't followed either of these teams. Last game they played was as physical of a game as I have seen this season. Bordering on the old Steeler-Raven intensity.

I understand it is vogue to use the word great for any slightly above average performance these days, but Smith hasn't been even close to great even under the lowered standards of the word. If he had been great, the change wouldn't have been made. Not like Harbaugh hates Smith so much that he would sabatoge his team in order to screw his over. He wants to win and has made the decision (with all information at his disposal) that Kaepernick gives them a better chance.

If you actually watched the games and not Sportscenter highlights, you know the kid has played well. He gets blamed for the loss to the Rams, but again, if you watched the game, you would be privy to this information:

-The safety caused by his throw out of bounds should not have been a safety. Accoreding to the "rules expert" Perriera, he explained that the out of bounds extends out on this call, so essentially, there is no out of bounds. The point that the ball hit the ground, regardless of where it went out of bounds is where the pass should be spotted. It was clearly several yards past the line of scrimmage, so no safely should have been called. Not sure why there was no review (maybe it couldn't be in the wonderful world of NFL replay), but Kaepernick was clearly making that point to the ref after the safely was called. He knew the rules and made the right play. It was called wrong. Nothing he could do about that.

-He did make a bad pitch on the play the Rams got the defensive TD, but it wasn't so bad that Ginn couldn't have handled it. My god, he is a professional, so some of it is on him. Some of it is on the SF OC for calling such a lame play in that situation. Mistake by the kid, but not all on him.

-He came back and led the Niners to what probably would have been a game winning TD right before regulation. Problem is, Delanie Walker dropped perhaps the easiest TD pass of the year. Perfect pass, with perfect touch right on his hands. The kid did everything humanly possible on his part. Anyway, they get a FG instead and the Rams tie it up with a FG in regulation.

Just saying, if you only look on the surface, easy to blame him for the loss, but if you watched the game, you would know that isn't the case.

As a fan, I don't care who QBs if they win. I would love for Smith to have justified the #1 pick and all the money they wasted on him, but he never will. Average at best and anyone who actually watches him knows it. His coach sure does.

bobbeaux

Games don't speed up in the playoffs. Not like he won't be playing big games in the next two weeks. This time of the season is extremely intense. If you don't think the game with Seattle will be intense, you obviously haven't followed either of these teams. Last game they played was as physical of a game as I have seen this season. Bordering on the old Steeler-Raven intensity.

I understand it is vogue to use the word great for any slightly above average performance these days, but Smith hasn't been even close to great even under the lowered standards of the word. If he had been great, the change wouldn't have been made. Not like Harbaugh hates Smith so much that he would sabatoge his team in order to screw his over. He wants to win and has made the decision (with all information at his disposal) that Kaepernick gives them a better chance.

If you actually watched the games and not Sportscenter highlights, you know the kid has played well. He gets blamed for the loss to the Rams, but again, if you watched the game, you would be privy to this information:

-The safety caused by his throw out of bounds should not have been a safety. Accoreding to the "rules expert" Perriera, he explained that the out of bounds extends out on this call, so essentially, there is no out of bounds. The point that the ball hit the ground, regardless of where it went out of bounds is where the pass should be spotted. It was clearly several yards past the line of scrimmage, so no safely should have been called. Not sure why there was no review (maybe it couldn't be in the wonderful world of NFL replay), but Kaepernick was clearly making that point to the ref after the safely was called. He knew the rules and made the right play. It was called wrong. Nothing he could do about that.

-He did make a bad pitch on the play the Rams got the defensive TD, but it wasn't so bad that Ginn couldn't have handled it. My god, he is a professional, so some of it is on him. Some of it is on the SF OC for calling such a lame play in that situation. Mistake by the kid, but not all on him.

-He came back and led the Niners to what probably would have been a game winning TD right before regulation. Problem is, Delanie Walker dropped perhaps the easiest TD pass of the year. Perfect pass, with perfect touch right on his hands. The kid did everything humanly possible on his part. Anyway, they get a FG instead and the Rams tie it up with a FG in regulation.

Just saying, if you only look on the surface, easy to blame him for the loss, but if you watched the game, you would know that isn't the case.

As a fan, I don't care who QBs if they win. I would love for Smith to have justified the #1 pick and all the money they wasted on him, but he never will. Average at best and anyone who actually watches him knows it. His coach sure does.

wow, all of that over my post? . . . again, just giving my opinion . . . we all know what yours is . . . ;)