A.Smith or C.Kaepernick

Which 49er QB gives them the best chance to reach the 2012 SB ??

• Total voters

jjtweeks

Kap and Smith can sit together and they can each watch a loss of theirs with 2 screens and smith can watch that NFC championship game last year where he threw for 2 scores, had no turnovers, rushed for 42 yds at 7 per carry while Kap can watch his game against the Rams (regular season at that) where he had 1 score, nice rushing avg and yds, a defense that held the opponent to 2 FG's (and still couldn't win), called for a safety, a turnover that got returned for a td.:wink:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I'm not at all sure that it isn't "E" that's in denial here. That grudge he habors against Smith has clouded his entire football history. He's not by himself though because the coach out there has threw away over a half century of tradition and how things are done seeking a savior for as team that didn't need saving. 2 losses under Smith I remind you.

efactor

Coming at you
Kap and Smith can sit together and they can each watch a loss of theirs with 2 screens and smith can watch that NFC championship game last year where he threw for 2 scores, had no turnovers, rushed for 42 yds at 7 per carry while Kap can watch his game against the Rams (regular season at that) where he had 1 score, nice rushing avg and yds, a defense that held the opponent to 2 FG's (and still couldn't win), called for a safety, a turnover that got returned for a td.:wink:

You mean the NFC championship game where Smith was 0-13 on 3rd down and couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half? That game? Yeah, he was spectacular, so spectacular that SF tried to sign Manning in the off season. No special skills and no confidence. They win that game easily with with even an average QB.

Smith could also watch the first Ram game at home where he left down by 10 points and then Kaepernick came in and almost pulled it out (Niners win if Akers makes a 41 yarder).

Smith sucks and Kaepernick is a star on the rise. Time to go to the guy who can make plays over the guy who you game plan to not lose the game.

efactor

Coming at you
I'm not at all sure that it isn't "E" that's in denial here. That grudge he habors against Smith has clouded his entire football history. He's not by himself though because the coach out there has threw away over a half century of tradition and how things are done seeking a savior for as team that didn't need saving. 2 losses under Smith I remind you.

I just feel dumber every time I read one of your posts on this subject. What half century of tradition are you talking about? Smart coaches play the guy they think has the best chance to take them all the way. Very simple concept. Harbaugh gave Smith every shot to show he could be the guy, but probably just saw that "deer in the headlights" look that evokes zero confidence in the guy that is supposed to lead your team, one too many times. Good call.

For the most part, you seem to know your football, but man, you are so far off on this subject. Smith is not the guy to take them to the next step...........

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Few NFL players have lost their starting job to an injury (yes some have) and even fewer QB's have had it happen. I can think of zero QB's that took their team to the conference championship game the year before and was in the midst of a great year being benched when he was injured. Do you know any QB with that kind of recent success that was benched "E"? Only in San Francisco.

Remote Controller

Few NFL players have lost their starting job to an injury (yes some have) and even fewer QB's have had it happen. I can think of zero QB's that took their team to the conference championship game the year before and was in the midst of a great year being benched when he was injured. Do you know any QB with that kind of recent success that was benched "E"? Only in San Francisco.

And my contention is that doesn't matter if the Coach feels his team is better off with the change. Why should he be tied to History that doesn't mean squat as far as his team is concerned?

efactor

Coming at you

OK, I'll give it one more try.........

He wasn't having a great season. His TD to INT looks good because he takes no chances. You can't look at QB rating as the end all be all of greatness. Everyone who watches SF knows what he is. At best a game manager and you need more than that this year. Their defense and special teams are not playing to the level of last year so they are going to need to score more points come play off time. This move was based on that fact.

Drew Bledsoe was replaced and he was a much more established QB than Smith ever thought of being. And he was replaced by a rookie 6th round pick, not a 2nd year, 2nd round pick. Joe Montana was replaced by Steve Young when he could still play, and Alex Smith is no Joe Montana.

Yes, this move takes a lot of stones on the part of Harbaugh because if they don't go to at least as far as last year, he will take a lot of criticism. Now that criticism will be misplaced and based on flawed logic, but criticism none the less.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
He wasn't having a great season.
Two losses, count 'em! 2 losses in spite of "their defense and special teams not playing to the level of last year." Two- which put his won/loss record for the year in the top 7% or so at the time. Football is about winning isn't it and that's what he was doing. You can keep your potential, just win baby. BTW, it isn't exactly clear cut to the public as a whole if you check the poll results here on the forum. Untill you can change the W's he put on the board into L's you won't change my opinion. It matters not to me if the newbie turns out to be a super star. IMO and that's all this is, the move was tacky, bucked tradition and was unjustified.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Two losses, count 'em! 2 losses in spite of "their defense and special teams not playing to the level of last year." Two- which put his won/loss record for the year in the top 7% or so at the time. Football is about winning isn't it and that's what he was doing. You can keep your potential, just win baby. BTW, it isn't exactly clear cut to the public as a whole if you check the poll results here on the forum. Untill you can change the W's he put on the board into L's you won't change my opinion. It matters not to me if the newbie turns out to be a super star. IMO and that's all this is, the move was tacky, bucked tradition and was unjustified.
Let me say this. Do you know the definition of insane? Its to keep doing the same thing over and over, and expect something different to happen.

So why would they stay with Smith?

Let me put it another way.

Kap did not do enough to beat out A.Smith for the start of the season correct? So they start A.Smith, have a good season, not great. Please note sir that if you look at the teams offensive stats it wasn't the passing winning them games. Then A.Smith gets hurt. So they have to play Kap. He does exactly what they hoped for, he is poised and it allows them to open up the offense.

A.Smith was successful since San Fran tailored the offense for him to not lose. I just don't see why that escapes you?

jjtweeks

So what you are saying basically, is the Pats should sit Brady if they end up in the superbowl against the Giants again. Now that's insane

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I just don't see why that escapes you?
It doesn't escape me, I see the appearence in the NFL title game, I plainly see only 2 losses with him under center this season.

You know PhiCin et al I can't understand why youngsters can't understand that there's a right way and a wrong way of doing things. I guess it's the "me" generation coming out. Not once and nowhere have I said that Smith has the most talent, biggest arm or fastest feet. Got it yet? Not once. What I have said is they were winning with Smith and for anyone that doesn't understand the W's and L's the W's are good- the L's are not. Before the season ends the newbie will have as many or more L's in less games played then Smith had. Keep up now, W's are good- L's are bad. Right is right and wrong is wrong. We'll never know how the season would have played out with Smith at QB but we're sure going to see how it goes with the new kid on the block.

Remote Controller

Sux when you stick something out there for someone to knock over the fence.
...but Mud, I truly feel you two continue to whiff. Not one point you make has a thing to do with the Coach Coaching his team. It's just emotional sentimental blather in my opinion. I'll leave it there, and you can have the last word. I don't want this to this to disinegrate any further. I understand what you are saying, just feel that ain't the way for a Coach to coach.

Arctic Dawgs

Didn't Dilfer get cut right after winning the Superbowl ??

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
...but Mud, I truly feel you two continue to whiff. Not one point you make has a thing to do with the Coach Coaching his team. It's just emotional sentimental blather in my opinion. I'll leave it there, and you can have the last word. I don't want this to this to disinegrate any further. I understand what you are saying, just feel that ain't the way for a Coach to coach.

Hey RC, no problems here. Sure the coach has the right to do what he desires but clearly doing what one desires does not make it the right thing to do as the extreme example posted by JJ above plainly showed. I guess I'm just too old school for today's times.

efactor

Coming at you
It doesn't escape me, I see the appearence in the NFL title game, I plainly see only 2 losses with him under center this season.

You know PhiCin et al I can't understand why youngsters can't understand that there's a right way and a wrong way of doing things. I guess it's the "me" generation coming out. Not once and nowhere have I said that Smith has the most talent, biggest arm or fastest feet. Got it yet? Not once. What I have said is they were winning with Smith and for anyone that doesn't understand the W's and L's the W's are good- the L's are not. Before the season ends the newbie will have as many or more L's in less games played then Smith had. Keep up now, W's are good- L's are bad. Right is right and wrong is wrong. We'll never know how the season would have played out with Smith at QB but we're sure going to see how it goes with the new kid on the block.

This whole post is pure nonsense...........

Right and wrong way to do things? Are they supposed to stick with someone who they don't feel gives them as good of a shot to win because it's wrong to replace him. That's idiotic.

Then you try to justify your foolishness by saying it's the "me" generation. No, it's logical thinking. We are probably close to the same age and Harbaugh is in that age group as well. That has nothing to do with it.

The really amazing part is when you tell others to "keep up". Focking priceless.............