1st 2010 NFL Mock Discussion Thread

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I'm not sure about Pierre-Paul being a 1st rounder after only one season of real production. As I've discussed over past couple years with the Tampa contingent, I REALLY love the "other" USF DE/LB who has 4 years of film to watch, and I think he'll wind up being one of the best value picks of this entire draft since his stock has gradually slipped over the past 2 years..
I won't totally disagree here. Still, I got to see this kid play first hand against UC, and was totally blown away on his speed rushing skills. That is an absolute pure fit for Philly. Trent Cole part Duex.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I think in the real draft Philly will have a very real scenario of choosing from J. Hughes or Kindle in their spot, both of which I like a little better than Pierre-Paul, at least from a track record and value standpoint.
With all that said, I love P-P's upside (insert joke here), and this would be a great situation for him to develop around a veteran defense without getting thrown in to the snake pit too early.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Really like the Cody to SD pick. Go watch highlights of the playoff loss to the Jets if you have doubts about the Chargers' run defense. I'd like to see him shed maybe 15-20 lbs, though.

MNJHNSN

Sorry guys, posted in wrong thread but what is the hold up here. Lets make a pick for him. I think the Jets are in need of a WR1

Last edited by a moderator:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Please don't drop names of undrafted players.. It's kind of been an unwritten code every year when we do this.

Miscreants

Sorry for the delay. Was at a party for the game last night. Didn't check the thread until I got on my lunch break today.

efactor

Coming at you
I like the Golden Tate pick. Solves two needs at WR and KR. He was on my wish list for SF in the 2nd round but kinda knew he wouldn't fall.

Which brings up a point. Depending on how the first round falls, I think SF takes a look at trading down out of the 17th slot. If Haden or McClain are there at 13, I think they take them and then draft an OT at 17. If not, I think they take an OT (Davis, Campbell or Buloga) at 13 and then try to trade into the 25 range and grab Tate. They need another exposive receiver as well as someone to return kicks. Makes sense to me anyway.

DearbornDolfan

I'm not sure about Pierre-Paul being a 1st rounder after only one season of real production. As I've discussed over past couple years with the Tampa contingent, I REALLY love the "other" USF DE/LB who has 4 years of film to watch, and I think he'll wind up being one of the best value picks of this entire draft since his stock has gradually slipped over the past 2 years..

Jason Pierre-Paul has been consistently rated as the best DE prospect in this draft since the various mock/scout websites have seriously started doing their thing for the off-season. An advantage over Selvie that he has is that his production has been more than sacks, it's been forced fumbles and interceptions. He's also the better natural athlete and that lends him towards conversion to the 3-4 OLB.

In hindsight I should've selected Pierre-Paul and let Hughes go in order to see if he would slip to my spot in the second round. Oh well.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Earl Thomas over Mays was a no-brainer. In most 3-4 schemes, all 4 of your DB's in a standard package need to be quick pass defenders as opposed to run supporters. We happened to luck out with Polomalu in that he's adept at just about any role he's asked to fill. I think Mays will end up being a LB at some point anyway unless he sheds some weight. As for Thomas, he's a true centerfielder and ballhawk, which is what we need badly, so things like Chris Chambers (Chiefs game) being left alone to catch a game-cinching bomb don't happen anymore. I think he's alot closer to Eric Berry in the overall Safety rankings than he is to Mays.
In the interest of full disclosure though, I heart Bryan Bulaga and that's the guy I desperately wanted with this pick. The next 2 rounds will probably be O-linemen, unless some obvious talent really drops.
Agree with you on Thomas over Mays for the Steelers. Like I said, Mays is not a fit for all schemes, but in Zommer's he's a fit. Thomas would be a nice fit in Pittsburgh.

I disagree on him being a LB though. I think you will find he very fast for his size. Weight and speed will nto be as much of an issue as just normal ball skills and recognition which weight doesn't impact either.

Runnik's Hambones

I couldn't agree more on Wes' assessment of Mays vs Thomas. However, I'm interested to see their 40-times lined up. I read that Mays and Thomas both run a 4.5.

Also, I don't know if Jason Pierre-Paul will be all that good in the NFL.

I selected Chad Jones for the Saints. They were 26th in the league this year against the pass and I wanted to grab Patrick Robinson but Eric grabbed him for the vikings. Chad Jones is a good S from the NO area. He's quick and has the ability to step up and make hits like Sharper.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I couldn't agree more on Wes' assessment of Mays vs Thomas. However, I'm interested to see their 40-times lined up. I read that Mays and Thomas both run a 4.5.
estimated 40 times on nfldraftscout are:
Mays: 4.47 (231 lbs)
Thomas 4.45

Should be interesting to see what they both run.

DearbornDolfan

The Cody pick looks horrible now that I've seen his weight in picks. He looks like one of those stereotypical fat slobs with an uncontrollable addiction to greasy, fatty foods. At least Tiger Woods' addiction kept him in shape for his job ;)

DearbornDolfan

What's worse is that his reported weight two weeks ago was 355. That says a lot about the guy's dedication when he balloons like that just before the most important job interview of his life and he HAS to know his weight is going to be an issue.

Hell, it's one thing when you have guys like like Haloti Ngata and Paul Soliai, naturally Somoans predisposed to being big like that but carry it relatively well and work hard to keep their weight in check, but Cody's not like that. You can tell just by looking at the guy that he's not meant to carry more than 320. That's not a guy you draft in the first round, especially when the team runs a 3-4 and depends on the NT to be there for three downs.

Runnik's Hambones

Personal pictures of Jason Pierre-Paul:
IMG_0337-1.jpg

IMG_0338-1.jpg

He is hands down the worst interview I've ever done. Why? Cause he's dumb as a box of rocks. The guy is... horrible to listen to.