1st 2010 NFL Mock Discussion Thread

Runnik's Hambones

Went Parish Cox with the 2nd selection for the Bucs. He's the best corner on the board and the moment Ronde decides to retire we'll need a good corner to play opposite Aquib.

Other option here DT since the Bucs went with Eric Berry in the 1st, however I decided to take the best overall player I felt that was left on defense, which happened to be CB.

MNJHNSN

Although there are bigger needs elsewhere with the Chiefs i.e at LB for starters, GRESHAM is way too big a talent not to pick here. TE is a definite need for the Chiefs and will greatly aid the passing attack and Gresham will develop into a more complete blocker with proper coaching.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Although there are bigger needs elsewhere with the Chiefs i.e at LB for starters, GRESHAM is way too big a talent not to pick here. TE is a definite need for the Chiefs and will greatly aid the passing attack and Gresham will develop into a more complete blocker with proper coaching.
:banghead: FOCK! I was shocked to see him drop...and was looking for him for Cleveland to be a Winslow replacement! Dammit!

Oh, nice pick by the way! :thumbsup:

MNJHNSN

:banghead: FOCK! I was shocked to see him drop...and was looking for him for Cleveland to be a Winslow replacement! Dammit!

Oh, nice pick by the way! :thumbsup:

I couldnt believe he got out of the first round. Too big a talent to let slide any further!!!!!!

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Runnik is worried someone is going to draft Josh Freeman. Dont worry bro, your QB of the future is already safe and on your Bucs roster :)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Gresham is a great pick. I considered him at 21 with Cincy. Nice fit for a team who needs more weapons.

efactor

Coming at you
With all the information available on the internet, I honestly feel I (most Outlaws) could draft as well (if not better) as the SF front office through the first 3 rounds, and assuming I had coaches input on what they felt were the detailed needs of the team for the later rounds, probably through the entire draft.

A few examples of obvious mistakes by the team over the years that I hated at the time of the pick, so no hindsight involved:

Jim Druckenmiller: WTF were they thinking? Guy could pull a truck. How the fock does that equate to being an NFL QB? He was horrible. This was also at a time when they were a good team, so even more perplexing.

Dexter Carter: The team was in arrogance mode coming off a title and felt they could waste a 1st rounder on a 3rd down back/KR. What they needed was help on the O-line since several of their players were getting older.

Mike Rumph: Couldn't cover and they drafted him as a CB. Guy was a safety and not worthy of a 1st rounder. Another WTF reaction when they called his name.

Then the biggest WTF ever was last year and thank god it wasn't SF this time and allowed a potential great player to fall to us, but when the Raiders selected DHB, I don't remember a single positive response from any one watching or posting on the web, even Raider fans. It's like everyone knew he didn't run good routes and had suspect hands except the team drafting him at # 7. This pick is generally attributed to Al Davis, but come on, someone else in the organization had to have a similar opinion.

Just saying...........

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Jim Druckenmiller: WTF were they thinking? Guy could pull a truck. How the fock does that equate to being an NFL QB? He was horrible. This was also at a time when they were a good team, so even more perplexing.

No Shit.... I couldnt believe that pick......

Dexter Carter: The team was in arrogance mode coming off a title and felt they could waste a 1st rounder on a 3rd down back/KR. What they needed was help on the O-line since several of their players were getting older.

Good one here....

Mike Rumph: Couldn't cover and they drafted him as a CB. Guy was a safety and not worthy of a 1st rounder. Another WTF reaction when they called his name.

Ive never really got this one either....

Then the biggest WTF ever was last year and thank god it wasn't SF this time and allowed a potential great player to fall to us, but when the Raiders selected DHB, I don't remember a single positive response from any one watching or posting on the web, even Raider fans. It's like everyone knew he didn't run good routes and had suspect hands except the team drafting him at # 7. This pick is generally attributed to Al Davis, but come on, someone else in the organization had to have a similar opinion.

Just saying...........

Oh yes....Im saying in 2 more seasons we are calling this THE worst 1st round WR pick of all time.

efactor

Coming at you
Detroit selects... Mike Williams/Charles Rogers.

'Nuff said.

Forgot about Mike Williams. Another WTF reaction when the Lions took him at 10 (despite Mel Kipers love of him). Guy was way slow for an NFL WR and he had sat out a year. A horrible pick.

While he ended up being a bust, initially to injury and then to attitude, Charles Rogers was a consensus top 5 pick in that draft and had all the tools to be a great NFL player. Can't really fault the Lions on that pick. Just didn't work out.........

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Fair point, but the Lions set the blueprint all thru the late 2000's on how NOT to draft in order to build a team. When you're perennially picking in the top-5, you shouldn't ever go with an offensive skill player unless it's a no-brainer franchise QB. If you're winning 0-5 games every year, the problems almost always lie on the O-line and/or the defensive front-7. Skill positions and talented d-backs are almost always readily available in the 2nd-4th round range.

dukdown

Banned
Sorry, can't help but chime in on Bill Walsh's final task of finding the QB of the future for San Francisco, and after losing out on Chad Pennington, took Giovanni Carmazzi. A local boy who went to the same high school as Barry Bonds ended up going in that same draft with the 199th pick - Tom Brady.

Taking Alex Smith over a player who spent his entire career with a Joe Montana practice jersey under his regular jersey, Aaron Rodgers, is a bit questionable also.

Finally, for recent history, taking Kentwan Balmer, and leaving local collegian DeSean Jackson, who was only being trained by Jerry Rice, could be considered a head scratcher.

efactor

Coming at you
Sorry, can't help but chime in on Bill Walsh's final task of finding the QB of the future for San Francisco, and after losing out on Chad Pennington, took Giovanni Carmazzi. A local boy who went to the same high school as Barry Bonds ended up going in that same draft with the 199th pick - Tom Brady.

Taking Alex Smith over a player who spent his entire career with a Joe Montana practice jersey under his regular jersey, Aaron Rodgers, is a bit questionable also.

Finally, for recent history, taking Kentwan Balmer, and leaving local collegian DeSean Jackson, who was only being trained by Jerry Rice, could be considered a head scratcher.

Spot on. The big decision of Smith over Rodgers was especially funny when Rodgers fell as far as he did. They did try to trade down, but no takers.

You could write a book on Niner first round busts, which is kind of strange considering how much success they had. Since 1984, here are some of their 1st round failures:

Todd Shell, Terrance Flagler, Keith Delong, Dexter Carter, Ted Washington, Dana Hall, JJ Stokes, Todd Kelly, Jim Druckenmiller, RW McQuarters, Reggie McGrew, Mike Rumph, Kwame Harris, Rashawn Woods, Alex Smith (still some hope) and Kentwan Balmer (still early). Thank god they did pretty well in the subsequent rounds, but that's some serious first round suckage........:shake: