1st 2010 NFL Mock Discussion Thread

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Could they have gotten a better straight up WR yes. But Tampa needs a guy who is good at a whole lot because they suck, and McCluster fits the bill.

MNJHNSN

Could they have gotten a better straight up WR yes. But Tampa needs a guy who is good at a whole lot because they suck, and McCluster fits the bill.

I dont agree. Why would you draft a jack of all trades who is not outstanding in any one area, in the 2nd rd when you could get an elite WR and take care of some of the other needs later in the draft?

mills

I'm curious as to what WR you are considering more "elite" that should be drafted instead.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I dont agree. Why would you draft a jack of all trades who is not outstanding in any one area, in the 2nd rd when you could get an elite WR and take care of some of the other needs later in the draft?
Please tell that to Detroit. I am sure the fully agree with you :rolleyes: ;)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I'm curious as to what WR you are considering more "elite" that should be drafted instead.
to that point, as I pointed out when I took Bryant for Cleveland, this is not a good or deep Wr draft. Not really. There are however some that will fill mutiple rolls like PR and KR as well as Wr. Those guys value will be seen as higher in this draft IMO due to that flexibility.

Runnik's Hambones

I completely disagree that there are better WRs on the board. I'm refraining from calling out names for the sake of the draft, but IMO, Dexter McCluster can bring so much more to a team than any of them. There really is only one other person I had in mind to draft other than him but I think Dexter will translate to the NFL best. Look at what Percy Harvin brings to the table (when he doesn't have a headache), DeSean Jackson, and even Sammy Stroughter. Dexter McCluster is going to be a dangerous weapon wherever he ends up, and I pray that the Bucs get him.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
McCluster is a very interesting prospect and when teams see his 40 times, he will likey rise to the 2nd where he was taken here....BUT, and it's a HUGE BUT.....he's 5'6!!! That is not small, that is TINY!!!! He is explosive and he will get you some big plays....he is also tough for his size....but damn that is a mini-me type guy. He makes DJax look like a giant!

Now I am not saying he won't suceed b/c of that, but he gives me great concern due to this. But he sure is fast, get him in space and he can do damage.

Did I mention that some of the linemen in this league take dumps that are bigger than him???

bobbeaux

i'm not thrilled with this wr class at all . . . lots of slot & possession guys, but very few if any i would call elite . . . myself, i would shy away from mccluster because of his size, but then again his size hasn't hampered him in the senior bowl practices . . . given all of that, he is a risk, but with the various options he can bring to a team, he may be a worthwhile risk to many teams . . . ;)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Its all in how you use him.

Darren Sproles - 5-8 182
Dexter McCluster - 5-8 165
Napoleon Kaufmann - 5-9 185
Warrick Dunn - 5-9 187

The only difference I see in him and all these backs is he is about 15lbs lighter than they are. A true NFL weight program will put another 10-12 lbs on that frame and maintain 95% of his speed. Im not worried about the guy and I think its a great pick.

MNJHNSN

I have been scolded twice for either implying or directly saying names so I cannot do the third time. This guy is a VERY poor man's Desean Jackson. The WR class as I see it is not that weak and I do not see how anyone can say that MCCLUSTER should go where he went. I love the debate that this has stirred.

Last edited by a moderator:

MNJHNSN

I completely disagree that there are better WRs on the board. I'm refraining from calling out names for the sake of the draft, but IMO, Dexter McCluster can bring so much more to a team than any of them. There really is only one other person I had in mind to draft other than him but I think Dexter will translate to the NFL best. Look at what Percy Harvin brings to the table (when he doesn't have a headache), DeSean Jackson, and even Sammy Stroughter. Dexter McCluster is going to be a dangerous weapon wherever he ends up, and I pray that the Bucs get him.

Runnik your Bay area blinders are awe inspiring. I am confident that there will be at LEAST 4-5 other WR who will have a more successful career than this little little man. I hope he proves me wrong but he is TINY......... I think he will have a very limited role wherever he falls and is a late third round talent at best and may be available in the 4th. He would be a good fit with TB coming out of the 4th round.

Runnik's Hambones

You have got to be kidding me. A poor man's DeSean Jackson? Are we talking about the same DeSean that runs some of the worst routes I've ever seen? The same DeSean who only scores because he's faster than everybody (which, btw, McCluster is fast as well).

Watch film, MNJHNSN. You'll see that McCluster is the real deal. He runs crisp routes, has unbelievable vision, and can make nearly anybody miss. He does an amazing job of curling up before hits to not get hurt and his one of the most dangerous WRs in open space that I've ever seen.

Seriously, if you can find it, look up film of Dexter McCluster destroying Monte Kiffin's TN defense this year. He made them look childish.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I read he was 5'8", either way, small.
your right, not sure why I thought 5'6...he is 5'8...165!! as you said, eith way, small!! But 5'8 is much different than 5'8, but 165 man, he needs some weight, a still wind might blow him over. Good thing it wasn't too windy in Mobile.