Fantasy Football Ethics

ExperiencedRookie

There are a lot of spots in fantasy football that either toe the grey line or cross it. I think we almost always know the difference between right and wrong.

Collusion is always wrong! We all know that. Then there are happenings that don't break a single league rule, but are clearly dirty.

For example, here is a situation that played out in 1 of my leagues last year. Player A has Peyton on a bye and tons of WRs. Player B has 2 active QBs, but 2 WRs on a bye. Player A sends a WR to Player B for a QB, and the next week they trade the exact same 2 players back to eachother. This is 100% flat out cheating in my opinion, but they both adamantly argued that they didn't break a single rule.

We all know situations like this, cause well, we're fantasy football junkies. I'm about to tell you another story and I want you to be the judge. There are a lot of details that aren't typical for a regular redraft league..just something to keep in mind.

12 man dynasty with hard salary cap, 21 player roster, 3 player taxi squad for players in their first 3 years in the NFL. In other words, you can store a ton of players.

This year we did an offseason auction for all free agents. Our commissioner was worried that people would intentionally drive the prices up on players that they didn't really want. This is common auction strategy in my opinion, but whatever. He put a rule in that any player acquired in this auction would need to be rostered all season and full salary be paid even if they went on IR, got suspended, etc etc. So in other words, if you tried to drive the price up on a player and then you accidently got him, you're stuck with him.

Fast forward to week 4, and this is where the ethical and moral question comes into play. I'm sitting at 3-0 and I've been the high scorer of all of the first 3 weeks. My team looks unstoppable, but my opponents have been putting up ENORMOUS games against me and I've just barely been sneaking by. My division is insanely tough and I can't afford to ever mail it in.

My opponent in week 4 is a divisional foe. His QBs are R Wilson (bye), McCown (hurt), and Locker (questionable). Heading into Sundays waiver period Locker becomes more and more questionable. I'm 99% sure he's going to pick up a QB as an insurance policy.

Both he and I have our defenses on a bye. The Ds on the wire are all pretty terrible, but Miami is available in a salty matchup with Oakland. I send him an email offering a waiver wire truce: neither of us will use the waiver wire heading into the weekend. He rejects this truce on the grounds of my roster being loaded and knowing I don't want to drop anyone. Fair is fair, and I'm fine with it. So be it, off to the wire we go.

I go and look at what QBs he'll have to choose from and notice that Fitzpatrick is the ONLY starting QB available. So what do I do?? Instead of picking up a defense, I focus my efforts on Fitzpatrick to block him from having a QB insurance policy.

Sunday morning the waivers process, and as it turns out, I out bid him on Fitzpatrick and he picked up the Miami D.

After the announcement is made that Locker is out for the game, I send him a trade offer of Fitzpatrick for a 2017 1st round pick. Apparently this didn't sit well with him. He sends me an email spazzing out about how he hates me and will be quitting the league next year. He then goes on to moan to the commissioner about me and how I'm ruining the league.

The commissioner then jumps down my throat with a bunch of BS about how that move was unnecessary. His argument is that I was a 58 point favorite, and it's just ridiculous to be pulling moves that piss people off. I explained to him that I was a 62 point favorite in week 2 and won by 2.5. Nothing is certain!

Sunday action kicks off and my opponent has no QB. Apparently my block was so disheartening that he didn't even bother to put the Miami D into his lineup. I score 165 and it really looks like my move was truly unnecessary. Going into Monday nights game I have an enormous lead! Had I sat on my hands and let him pick up Fitzpatrick, he would have likely started the Miami D as well, and would have an extra 34 points.

MNF starts and he has Charles and Kelce going. Suddenly these 2 players start having HUGE games. The commissioner is paying close attention and is doing the math. Once Kelce has a TD and Charles has 3 he figures out that the score would be 162-155 with 7 minutes left in the game.

This is where the "have to keep a player acquired in the FA auction" comes into play. The commish notices that I dropped the ARI D for Fitzpatrick, and realized that technically I should not have been allowed to do so. So what does he do?? Mid game he pulls Fitzpatrick off my roster and puts him into my opponents starting lineup. Them without even checking the waiver system to make sure this dude would have still acquired the Miami D had he been able to pic Fitzpatrick up originally, he slides that D from the bench into his starting line up. Literally trying to F me out of a win if Kelce and Charles can get 7 more points.

Please Outlaws, weigh in here. Is my move to block him at QB a dickish one or is this dude a cry baby? Is my commissioner way out of line?

jjtweeks

First of all offering a waiver wire truce to me is %100 collusion even if you think it only affects the parties invovled. That is where the whole thing went wrong. The goal is to win by playing by the rules and it's not your fault he didn't prepare to fill in his QB spot. No the move was not dickish and dude is a bit of a crybaby and commissioner is out of line if the waiver process followed league rules. So with that being said, the message to try a "Truce" was dickish to the league as a whole and seems to be the center point of all this drama.
Thats just my 2 cents
Beacuse to me, by that message, you were possibly changing the outcome of a game/roster that could affect many others in the league.

Last edited:

ExperiencedRookie

First of all offering a waiver wire truce to me is %100 collusion even if you think it only affects the parties invovled. That is where the whole thing went wrong.
If he accepts the truce, none of the rest of this mess even happens.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's collusion. No more than 2 guys getting together and making a trade. Coming to terms on a roster move that benefits both parties involved

jjtweeks

i hear ya, thats just my view and sometimes they are far off from others. a trade though is between 2 rosters, a truce involving waivers includes everyone, thats kinda how i look at it but maybe collusion wasn't the right term but still don't like it =).

ExperiencedRookie

i hear ya, thats just my view and sometimes they are far off from others. a trade though is between 2 rosters, a truce involving waivers includes everyone, thats kinda how i look at it but maybe collusion wasn't the right term but still don't like it =).
Hahaha. Fair enough.

Also..does the truce really involve the waiver wire?? If say that neither team using the wire involves it far less than both teams going and picking players up. Just my spin...trying to make this look 100% clean. ;)

I've got a bit of a reputation as a sneaky SOB in fantasy circles. Today I proved that I'm not a total bastatd though. Some dude that I barely even know screwed up with a trade offer. He offered Tony Romo and Percy Harvin for nothing in return.he forgot to punch in the players he wanted to trade for. Total mistake. I rejected the trade and told him he might want to be more careful.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
First the trade back and forth you first mention isn't cheating, its collusion. The commish should have stepped in.

Second, you bidding on a QB, to block another team from having a Qb is not cheating, its playing the system. He could have bid higher if he needed it that bad. Now, trying to get a first round pick is being a bit of a jerk.....but hey, that too is part of the game. He could have countered instead of being a big baby.

Its part of the game the whole strategy. You play to win, and position yourself to be up on others and have an advantage.

Why the commish steps in and does anything is crap as well.

The commish has no right to go in and change lineups. Not sure what excuse he used, as it wasn't that clear to me. But it was crud. IF the Fitzgerald move of your was illegal, it does not give the Commish the right to assign Fitz to the other owner, AND put the def in his lineup. Worst case Fitz goes back to FA and no one gets him that week.

This is crap, and basically not sure you should stay in this league if the Commish pulls stuff like this.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
For example, here is a situation that played out in 1 of my leagues last year. Player A has Peyton on a bye and tons of WRs. Player B has 2 active QBs, but 2 WRs on a bye. Player A sends a WR to Player B for a QB, and the next week they trade the exact same 2 players back to eachother. This is 100% flat out cheating in my opinion, but they both adamantly argued that they didn't break a single rule.
Hell they didn't, that is collusion and I'm assuming collusion is against the rules..... Sharing rosters is a pillar both collusion!

No gray area there, that is as blatent as they come.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Ok, on the rest.... WW truce was simply dumb.... Sorry, play by the rules and let others run their team and u do the same.

Blocking the QB was genius, not cheap, not dirty, just a great strategic play..... But if you dropped a player illegally to do it.... Then that move has to be reversed.

If the other team would have got Fitz and it was obvious he would have started.... No issue with putting him in.....

However, the guy DID NOT START MIAMI..... He was on his roster and he did not start him... No way the commish should have ever put them in and I'd be done with him as commish.... One of the more bullshit things I have ever seen a commish do.

ExperiencedRookie

An owner in 1 of my leagues hit a new low today.

Last Thursday we worked a deal for me to trade him Steve Smith for LeVeon Bell.

He has Alfred Morris and Lamar Miller as his other 2 RBs. Miller was on a bye last week. He says to me "I want to do this deal, but I need Bell for this week to get me a win. We'll trade next week". He then offers his hand to me to shake on it in front of 3 other people.

The weekend plays out and Alfred Morris has a crap game against Sea. He posts a new trade comment on the website "sorry I can't do this deal anymore. I can't trust Morris to be my lead RB". He doesn't hit "reject" on the trade, just posts the comment.

Well by this time I had already picked up Blount for a handcuff because I'm expecting Bell to be on my team. I passed over picking up Hillman, Andre Williams, etc etc.

Now here I sit with PT, Alfred Blue, and Blount as my RBs, and PT is on a bye. I posted this to him on the trade comments, hoping he'll have some kind of conscience and go through with the trade. I'm not real pleased.

I get it..nothing is certain, but when you verbally agree to something and offer your hand up to shake on it, you are a giant douche if you go back on it.

cctekguy

Staff member
I still don't know what a waiver wire truce is but everyone else seems to think you were a giant douche for offering it.

Now a guy backs out on a trade and you're playing the "morals" card?

Just sayin...

ExperiencedRookie

I still don't know what a waiver wire truce is but everyone else seems to think you were a giant douche for offering it.

Now a guy backs out on a trade and you're playing the "morals" card?

Just sayin...
Waiver wire truce: You and I are playing eachother this week. We both only have 1 team defense, and both of ours are on a bye. We both agree to not go to the waiver wire to pick up a replacement defense.

I still don't think it's that shady. Certainly not more shady than some dude verbally agreeing to a trade, shaking on it in front of 3 people, waiting for me to make roster moves expecting the trade and missing out on other RBs on the waiver wire, and then telling me that he's welching on the deal.

cctekguy

Staff member
Ok, well the waiver wire truce sounds kinda stupid. Surely there was one of you that stood to gain more than the other from it (just a guess here, but YOU maybe?)

Secondly, If you and I made a deal...and shook on it...on T.V. ....in front of 6 million people and just prior to the deal the guy I was offering got his head blown off in a hunting accident. You would still go through with the deal? Because you're such an honorable fellow?

Yeah, exaggerated, for sure, but it's really exactly the same.

I think you would do exactly what the other guy did. Say "Hell No" and keep your player.

Not trying to be ugly ER and not saying I am any less guilty of the same moral crimes but it's advisable that we stand in someone elses shoes before we assign titles like "Giant Douche".

ExperiencedRookie

Secondly, If you and I made a deal...and shook on it...on T.V. ....in front of 6 million people and just prior to the deal the guy I was offering got his head blown off in a hunting accident. You would still go through with the deal? Because you're such an honorable fellow?

Yeah, exaggerated, for sure, but it's really exactly the same.

I think you would do exactly what the other guy did. Say "Hell No" and keep your player.

We had an injury clause going into the weekend. If either Smith or Bell suffered an injury during the weekend, the deal was off. Not letting this guy off on a technicality here. If Steve Smith did so much as stub his toe on Sunday I wouldn't expect this guy to trade for him.

Absolutely nothing changed besides Alfred Morris having a junk game against Seattle. Not sure why you or anyone else for that matter would support this type of behavior. It's f'ing bush league. You give your word as a man and shake on something, you go through with it. I'm certainly not going to be painted as the villain here while getting bent over.

bodey24

Staff member
A waiver wire truce is a lot more shady than shaking on a trade and then deciding against it. Until he hits the accept button nothing is set in stone. After watching Alfred play he wasn't comfortable making him his #1 Rb which is understandable. Or maybe he just realized trading Bell for Steve Smith is a terrible trade for him. Shaking on a trade is stupid IMO anyway. You guys should have accepted the trade on the site and just let the commish know not to process it until after this week, that way there is no way either of you can go back on it.