2009 NFL Draft - Day One - Official Thread

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Comments on the Bengals Day 1:

A very high risk high reward day for Cincy, guess I should expect nothing less. Andre Smith has a world of talent and can fit nicely in at RT for this team...if they can motivate him. Leadership in Cincy is shakey at best so this will remain to be seen if it can be done. But if it can, and he can play the way he did at Bama, they may have a heck of a player...they could also have a big bust...time will tell.

Rey Mags falls to round two, man I was not real high on him in the first, but you have to think he's worth the gamble there. Pairing him with keith Rivers could be a great due for years to come.....again, I have my reservations about him and field discipline and being where he needs to be, but he can bring a swagger this team needs.

Overall, high risk, high reward. i give the first day a solid B.

Coachnorm

Wish they would have left the whole thing alone, including the start time.

Interest in this event dropped last year, in what turned out to be one of the better drafts in a while in regards to talent.

This year, draft interest looks to have taken an even bigger dive in interest, and it won't be helped by the overall lackluster talent level.

Hard to believe I will actually be missing the entire day one of the draft, but I got no intention of sitting at home on a Saturday evening.

Our local sports radio guys spent All afternoon complaining about how this new time screwed married guys over. For married guys Saturday is date night/ family night if you have kids too. The earlier start at least gives then a shot at multi-tasking their way through and score some points during the day.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
I'd have preferred Oher to Harvin, but I'm sure the Vikes know what they are doing.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Eagles trade up for Maclin!!!

So instead of over paying for Edwards or Boldin....they take a young kid they can tie up for a long time at much less money........that is the eagles for ya.

I can't believe they went wr though...then again....they didn't really have a deep need for first round anyways.

Look for McCoy in 2nd round trade up to be Rb I bet.
Oh YES! Who called? Who called it y'all? Thats right Maclin AND McCoy!!!!:thrash::trampolin:thrash::trampolin:thrash::trampolin:thrash::trampolin:thrash:

Phicinfan

Administrator
On a side note, Jax getting both Monroe and Bettin is a nice Oline fix. Maybe they should talk to Detroit?

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I've been looking ever since day 1 ended, but can someone post what Pittsburgh received for the last pick in the 2nd round from Denver?

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I missed my first draft in years as I had to work, but it was on 3 radio stations, so I had plenty of draft coverage out in the field. Totally stoked on the Seahawks draft. Filled two big needs with two solid, great character players, plus added a 1st round pick in 2010 (Please suck, Broncos!). Curry is a great fit as Leroy Hill will take over as the pass rushing OLB. What a great, young LB corps with Curry, Tatupu, & Hill! The Unger pick was great as well. He can play C or G, which could push Spencer to guard.

Mike

Administrator
Our local sports radio guys spent All afternoon complaining about how this new time screwed married guys over. For married guys Saturday is date night/ family night if you have kids too. The earlier start at least gives then a shot at multi-tasking their way through and score some points during the day.

Look at this draft thread, compared to previous years. Scary, LOL.

Just now getting home, and yes, missed the draft (but won't miss Talladega :) ) Going to see who picked who now.

Runnik's Hambones

My friend, Teddy missed it because his wife set up 2 double dates on Saturday. He was texting me the whole time about how much he wanted to be watching the draft.

dukdown

Banned

<------------------- A+

Plus a 2010 1st rounder from Carolina for Niners 2nd rounder. Have to admit got a little stoked thinking they had gotten Everette Brown before I saw it was Carolina who had traded up to get it.

dukdown

Banned
Andre Smith will get his money, and eat himself into oblivion. At least DHB has the discipline of a track star, and has flashed on the football field. Having now a QB who can force the ball down the field should allow him to highlight his talents for stretching the field and making plays. Just because Oakland overdrafted him, doesn't mean he's going to be a bust. On the other hand, I guarantee 100%, and you can throw this in my face if I'm wrong, that Andre Smith is going to be a nightmare for whatever team he is on.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Andre Smith will get his money, and eat himself into oblivion. At least DHB has the discipline of a track star, and has flashed on the football field. Having now a QB who can force the ball down the field should allow him to highlight his talents for stretching the field and making plays. Just because Oakland overdrafted him, doesn't mean he's going to be a bust. On the other hand, I guarantee 100%, and you can throw this in my face if I'm wrong, that Andre Smith is going to be a nightmare for whatever team he is on.
OH, I will call you on this one...cause I don't buy it. From some late things I have read....A.Smith may just end up the best OT in this draft. Only time will tell though

dukdown

Banned
No, time has told. He's gonna get his money, and that's all he cares about. Once he gets paid, his job is done.

That's what he's shown me.

Arctic Dawgs

Look at this draft thread, compared to previous years. Scary, LOL.

Just now getting home, and yes, missed the draft (but won't miss Talladega :) ) Going to see who picked who now.

Chatbox is why this thread has a lot less this year. Not lack of interest in the draft

Arctic Dawgs

Also heard that Seattle removed the Franchise tag from Hill yesterday (making him a FA). So all they did was use a #4 pick to trade LBs

eta: Yup, they did

Last edited by a moderator:

ExperiencedRookie

Good pick for the Jets -- not really sure about the trade though. They gave up a lot to get Sanchez.
The Bengals got a guy to protect their QB. Something they needed badly.

I disagree. When I saw the names that NYJ traded to move up, I went HUH? Who?

I thought they raped Cleveland on that deal.