SO Members Mock Draft Disscussion Thread

bobbeaux

15. Houston - I would not take Matthews in the first 20 picks. I think this is a huge reach and Houston has spent alot of picks on defense and are running out of time to put it all together. I'd personally have gone for a DE/OLB hybrid maybe, but Matthews is too high here and is only rising because of concerns that Cushing is on roids.
QUOTE]

i'd actually prefer houston trades down, but we aren't having trades in this mock, soooooooo . . . cushing has injury concerns and matthews improved his stock more from the senior bowl and the combine . . . his uncle, bruce matthews just signed on as a trainer for the texans as well.

after signing fa de antonio smith, the need for de has become less and i'm not thrilled with the hybrids anyway . . . there are quite a few 3-4 de/lb's, but not so many 4-3 de's . . . i believe there would be better value in the 2nd round for a 4-3 de . . . just my opinion . . . ;)

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
12. Broncos - I dont like the Jenkins pick here. First, you just signed Brian Dawkins at safety, and with Jenkins lackluster speed, he projects to safety. I think you would have been better served to have taken Vontae Davis here. While Davis has some work ethic issues, a young energetic coach should be able to fire him up.
First, congrats on the little one.

Now Dawkins shouldn't stop the best corner from being taken because he's 36 years old playing a high impact position. And taking into account Renaldo Hill being anything but special, if the worst case for Jenkins is to become a safety... that need will be there for us very soon. If he runs slow at his pro day, I'll concede I just drafted our future safety, but I'm suspicious of the multitude of slow times ran at the combine.

lemmer

Was going back and forth between Brandon Pettigrew and DJ Moore, with the Falcons losing Foxworth to the Ravens, corner is a major need but just think with Pettigrew sitting there, Matt Ryan will be lick his chops for another weapon.

Runnik's Hambones

I agree that corner is a whole for Atlanta now, but you can focus on that in the next rounds. Brandon Pettigrew was a huge pick! As a Bucs fan, this pick scares the living hell out of me.

jmsmith1

Atlanta - the thing with pettigrew is that he is such a freak athlete, i could see atlanta using him at TE, H back in the wildcat, even a FB in goal line downs. and there are solid corner prospects in round two. nice pick.

New England - I like the Sintim pick here as well. with sending Vrabel to KC, a necessity of getting younger at LB became an immediate need. Could have seen Laurinitis go here as well.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I love the fit of Jerry in Indy, in the real draft I expect him to be gone in the first 20 picks, so to get him this late is mad value.

jmsmith1

Miami - Alphonso Smith is a great get especially this late. I think this kid is top 20 talent. Bill Parcells would be proud of you!

Baltimore - I love this pick. Im all for the hometown kids getting to play in the pro team of their back yard. Heyward Bey is a dynamic reciever that I have thought would be the #2 WR on the board. I actually like him better than Hicks, but I have him in a virtual tie with Harvin. Love this kid. And the fact that he will be able to play right in Maryland would be awesome.

Indy - Getting Peria Jerry at #27 is probably the steal of the round so far. This kid is flying up draft boards and war rooms. In my personal mock, I have Detroit taking him at #20, after Curry/Offensive Tackle overall at #1. This kid immediately takes some of the double teams away from Freeney and lets Keaiho get after it. Not to mention that Indy is in a league where they need to be able to stop the run....Jags, Tennessee, Houston.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
18. Chicago - The Unger pick, I guess Im a little confused on. First, I think Alex Mack is the better of the OC in the draft. But all I've read is that the Bears are enamored with the DE/OLB from Northern Illinois...Larry English. I think Mack is the better player here and Unger, while talented, is a reach that you could get in the second round.
I disagree. The Bears can be enamored with a defender all they want, but until they do something with the offense they will never be any more than a 7-9 win team.

Look at the offensive line there. With the possible retirement of John Tait, they need a guy who can play tackle. Unger's versatility makes this possible. He also lists as a center, IE, a guy who can be developed behind Olin Kruetz. The health of OT Chris Williams is also a concern. Unger also wouldnt be there in 32 picks. In a deep class at the position, a WR will be.

The draft, mock or otherwise, is not about what the "sexy" pick is, it is about what the team needs. Looking at this Bears football team, Unger's ability to answer numerous questions on the offensive line made him the attractive pick to me. Why pay the money for a guy who can only play center when I can pay the money for a guy who can play any position I need him too, not to mention be an immediate contributor as opposed to Mack sitting behind Kruetz.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well, another tough one for Philly.

Dire need at Safety and OT...but to me the talent doesn't reach this high. So I have another need with the loss of Buckhalter, and the lack of production from Booker. I love McCoy. He is all the Eagle like in a great Rb and even better reciever. Has to work on blocking...to protect McNabb...but I think this is a great fit for Philly.

mills

The Atlanta Pettigrew pick is spot on. That's exactly what they need to bring that offense to the top. Heyward-bay pick was also money for the Ravens who need that deep threat. Good stuff guys.

bobbeaux

Value wasn't there for DT for Tenn who have been adding talent there thru early rounds of the draft in previous seasons . . . they added Jovan Haye for depth thru free agency.

Value also was no longer there at WR and they picked up Nate Washington thru free agency.

They've been getting by at MLB which needs an upgrade and might become exposed with the loss of Haynesworth . . . Laurinaitis was the best value and need to fill . . . ;)

bobbeaux

Was going back and forth between Brandon Pettigrew and DJ Moore, with the Falcons losing Foxworth to the Ravens, corner is a major need but just think with Pettigrew sitting there, Matt Ryan will be lick his chops for another weapon.

good pick, but LB is a huge need with the loss of brooking and probably boley . . . i still like the pick though . . . ;)

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Arizona should be looking at DE to replace Smith, cornerback to eventually replace Hood, and running back. Since they aren't addressing RB so far in free agency...

Anyway, Brown comes as a slight reach with some bust factor. A perfect combination for the Cards front office.