SO Members Mock Draft Disscussion Thread

bobbeaux

the texans fill a need for a b/u to rb steve slaton in clemson's james davis (5'11" 218) . . . i was looking for a back that was a little bigger than slaton that would be more effective in short yardage and as a change of pace, but also a back that could takeover if slaton were to go down . . . i was initially looking at rashad jennings and andre brown as prime targets, but am happy picking up de kruger in the 3rd and waiting for the 4th to fill this need . . . ;)

rb's currently on houston's roster prior to this pick:

steve slaton 5'9" 201
ryan moats 5'8" 210
chris brown 6'3" 220

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
And this is why at this point in the draft my personal belief is if there is someone you must have, take them what may be perceived as early to assure you get him and don't end up thinking "damn you" on draft day ;)
Yep, I got burned by this. I fully targeted TJ Lang for Philly this round. Actually planned to take him last round..but felt third was too early. Now I have to go to plan Z for Philly, as I continue to see my hopefully late round targets go early before me. :banghead:

bobbeaux

with the texans 2nd pick in the 4th, i was looking at OL & CB . . . they seem to be happy with the way the OL is coming along as the team had the same 5 starters along the line for the 1st time last season . . . RG has been viewed as the weakest link and an upgrade there would be prudent, but i felt there was solid value available in the 5th.

db barnes will provide much needed depth at cb and possibly fs as well.

bobbeaux

was looking at de here mostly, but was intrigued by this guy while doing research . . . he's a bit undersized for now, but seemed like a nice option in the slot eventually . . . the titans could really use a 1st round wr, but in this draft there wasn't much value at that position by the time it got to me . . . cb either . . . was looking at de David Veikune very hard with this pick . . . also undersized, but could actually play in the rotation at olb right now and grow into a de to replace the aging starters . . . ;)

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I was totally ecstatic with my 4th round pick. In fact, I had to recheck the selected players list twice to confirm that DeAngelo Smith wasn't selected yet. I actually almost selected him with my 3rd round pick. I was all q'd up to take a DT that I've been tracking when I realized he was still on the board. I'm a big fan of CB/S hybrids and he fits the bill perfectly. Ideally I would groom him as a coverage safety to eventually replace Ryan Clark, and a fine complement to Polamalu. At worst, I have a similar player to my 3rd round pick, Sherrod Martin, and can choose between the 2 as to who fits best at CB and who to move to safety.
I've seen DeAngelo Smith commonly carrying a late 2nd/early 3rd round grade, so at worst I got solid value here in this slot with a BPA type.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
And we are done! Thanks to everyone for their part in this. A special thanks to RH, AD, and JMS for their time in making this go very smooth!

Looking forward to draft #2, sign up if you are interested in knocking out 2 or 3 rounds before draft day.