SO GM Mock Draft #2 Discussion Thread

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
so why in the world did no one pick ayers until just now? isnt he projected as the top pure DE in the draft (unless you consider orakpo a pure DE) and a likely top 15-20 pick?

deuce4321

Driller
The Jets found themselves in the same exact spot as Mock 1. We addressed QB in round 1 and wanted to address WR in round 2 but felt the remaining ones were a reach at this spot and that Meredith had fallen too far and is IMHO the best player on the board remaining. Ryan has addressed Defense so far in the offseason so lets address offense with the draft. Meredith is ready to step in and play right now on the offensive line and had played both the tackle and guard position in college. I know i will get docked my grade at the end of the draft for getting him but he is way too good to pass up. If nothing else he may be good trade value.

bobbeaux

so why in the world did no one pick ayers until just now? isnt he projected as the top pure DE in the draft (unless you consider orakpo a pure DE) and a likely top 15-20 pick?

from nfldraftcountdown

Weaknesses:
Does not have elite speed...Isn't super explosive...Marginal instincts and awareness...Undisciplined at times...Below average strength...Not a sack artist and will have to develop a more varied repertoire of moves...Does not always play with proper leverage...Inconsistent motor...Work ethic has been questioned...Ran into some trouble off the field...Minor durability concerns...Underachieved early on in his career...Just 1 year of starting experience...Wasn't overly productive.

i think he's overrated as compared to others in this draft class, but i don't believe this is a very good year for the DL as a whole . . . ;)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Re: Ayers

I have seen Ayers as a bottom of the first to mid of the 2nd rd guy. This is towards the bottom of his range, but not out of the question. As far as being the top pure DE, no where close IMO, and have not seen him refered to as this by anyone, even if you take Orakpo out of the mix. Tyson Jackson is ranked higher by most than him and I put him right there with Michael Johnson from GT, another guy who could go in the same range.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
i love lesean mccoy. think hes just as good of a pick or better than the RBs headed into the first round.
If this would actually happen for Cleveland they would have to be doing a backflip! McCoy is a first round talent and in the right spot could be as productive as any back in this draft. Cleveland would have to be damn happy with this draft up to this point if this was the real deal: Curry, Nicks, and McCoy!! WOW!

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
just curious miller, why did you draft mccoy over.... well, you know, any other RBs out there you might have selected? :)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I believe that McCoy is the best game changer left at RB. He has it all and is a dynamic runner who can be an every down back. IMO there is a big 3 at RB, and he rounds it out. I see a drop off after McCoy.

jmsmith1

I believe that McCoy is the best game changer left at RB. He has it all and is a dynamic runner who can be an every down back. IMO there is a big 3 at RB, and he rounds it out. I see a drop off after McCoy.

I completely agree except that there is one other very good back out there. There is an elite top 4, and he has been slated as being a better prospect than McCoy in some circles.....he's another big east kid.

Runnik's Hambones

Jmsmith1, while I like how Louis Murphy fits with Philly, I think they have a bigger need. You're right, they got Stacey Andrews and Eben Britton, so the OL is set for now, I think they have another hole at LE. A DE here would have worked as well.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
I know that selection should give a little bit of a buzz. Donald Brown is the top RB on my board, in my opinion, the best all around back in this draft. He has the complete package and is not the injury worry that the earliest guys are (to me), and he is a motivated, hard worker, who just continues to impress and get the job done. He actually reminds me a good deal of Chester Taylor, which is not a coincidence.

Many may say WHY would you take a rb of all positions for the Vikings? Well I don't believe in the patchwork idea of trying to make weaknesses adequate and having a big old mediocre team. I would rather take a strength and make it even stronger. Yes, I could've reached for a B-prospect receiver here or a C-prospect quarterback. But Taylor's contract is up after this year and he'll definitely be gone. Picking Brown is a pick for Minnesota's present and future. Keeping Adrian Peterson fresh and having a good workhorse type available for the inevitable injury time he'll miss is absolutely vital on this team. And Brown is a guy that can play in the backfield with Peterson at the same time and give opposing defenses nightmares. Heck, that could even set up a few wildcat sort of plays.

Anyway... :)

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
I would say too that there were a few other guys on my short list that have all gone in the last few picks: OT Meredith, S Chung, DE Ayers, CB Smith, S Moore, QB Freeman.

All of those are at more urgent need positions, but I saw a dropoff at the position after each of them. There was really only one other player left that I gave consideration to here, a very solid 2nd starter type player at a need position, but I felt the upside with Brown was too good to pass on.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I'm with RH....I understand you have a man crush on D Brown, and if this was a team that was not built to win now, I'd have less of an issue. Thing is this team is built to win now and that selection does nothing for the team this year. Long term ,nice value, but you just drafted a 3rd string RB this year with your 2nd pick. I think there are plenty of guys left who can have a more immediate impact on this years team.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
its not like the window is closing. the whole team is fairly young and in tact with the only exceptions really being pat williams and antoine winfield, both gone after this year in all likelihood.

i dont have a man crush on brown. i dont think theres a game changing RB, i just think hes a good all around back who learns well and fills what will be a glaring need once taylor is gone after this season. there is not a QB or WR on the board right now that changes this year's team imo. id rather take a 1st round value at a future need spot than reach for a 3rd or 4th round value right now. donald brown turns minnesota into an A++ run team with a great defense against the run and pass. there is no player in the draft that can fix the abysmal passing game. better off setting the team up to run 40-50 times a game and go old school.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
RH or miller, PM me the names of a couple guys you'd have taken instead here, just out of curiosity.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
if you don't think he's a game changer, why do you rank him as a rd 1 talent? If your looking for a solid all around b/u I think those can be found in the 3-5th rounds pretty easily, no?

I'd rather have seen them address DT or OT needs at this point in the draft. There are players there that can help both now and in the future.