SO GM Mock Draft #2 Discussion Thread

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i think beanie wells is the only real game changer, and only if he somehow (and doubtfully) stays healthy.

but thats not a huge knock. i cant think of more than about 5-10 game changing (franchise) RBs in the NFL. that doesnt mean the rest arent worth having or even worth a 1st round pick. nothing wrong with a steady pass-catching, blocking, run hard RB. seemed to work well this year for guys like willie parker, thomas jones, michael turner, etc.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think it's safe to say Thomas Jones and Michael Turner changed games this season....and that Parker has done this in the past as well. Game Changer and Elite are different to me. I'm not saying you have to get an Elite back, but I do think for me to spend a first on a position that you can easily fill later in drafts he should at least be in that game changer class....

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i mean game changer as in a franchise back, a type of guy defenses have to specifically game plan around because of a unique skill set.

adrian peterson
brian westbrook
chris johnson
reggie bush
maurice jones-drew

those 5 really stand out to me. id also say guys like frank gore, steven jackson, and clinton portis are on the list when playing at 100%. tomlinson isnt anymore but obviously was for a long time.

thomas jones is not a game changer or a game breaker. hes a durable, usable, hard running back that ran behind a great blocking system. do you think teams had to plan specifically for jones? if anything, i bet they planned around leon washington. ditto san diego with sproles and not tomlinson causing the issues.

anyway, getting too far off topic here. the point is, theres nothing wrong at all with a good workhorse do-it-all type of back. just doesnt mean he has to be someone you have to carefully game plan around. but i think adding a guy like that to someone you already have to game plan around (peterson) for 40 carries a game would be awfully difficult to defend for four quarters.

Runnik's Hambones

I'm a fan of that pick, Beermuts. Their LBs are getting nothing but older. Good idea to start getting fresh legs ready to take over. Another thought would be OG...

Runnik's Hambones

I was adding depth to the DTs in Carolina. The NFL teams that are able to consistently put fresh legs in the game are the ones that succeeding more and more. This will help Carolina maintain pressure on the QB and plugging holes so that Jon Beason can remain a monster at MLB.

bobbeaux

aren't we on a 12 hr clock? . . . the understand it was Easter weekend, but the Giants are pushing 24 hrs . . . OL Andy Levitre, Oregon St or DT Alex Magee, Purdue would be good selections.

on a side note, i've got to leave around noon to go to an out of town meeting tomorrow . . . i was hoping not to have to leave my picks with anyone . . . ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
you can send me a list if you need to. if you have reasoning, send that too and i can post it.

im guessing when miller shows up, he'll probably put in a pick for mutts, make his own pick, and then yours will go in.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Love the Vaughn and Kruger picks. Those were 2 of the guys I was referring to as really good value when my pick was up.
Vaughn's been one of the rising stock type guys since the combine and I commonly see him going around the mid-2nd round timeframe. Kruger brings a high character, high motor guy to Cincy who doesn't have a ton of DE experience but not alot of tread on the tires either. Both these guys have their best football in front of them, IMO.