Report - Favre to remain retired

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I totally agree with this.

Favre isn't a bad person or anything, I think he is just going through some sort of mid-life crisis and, like most men at a certain age, is at a crossroad in his life. However, he is tarnishing his iconic image by putting his fans, his family and his career through this garbage disposal. It's quite sad.

Instead of a new sports car he wants to kick the Packers a**es with Minn

Remote Controller

I tend to agree with most all of what I find above, but am in the camp where I want Thompson's head on a platter, and him out of Green Bay. That 4 win season last year was not Rodgers fault at all, and I was damn happy for him. I blame the teams performance on Thompson. Rodgers single handedly carried that team to start the season, but the team seemed to not be inspired. When Driver says before the season that if they can do this to Brett they can do it to anyone of us, it makes me think they were all looking over their shoulder.

This is not very popular wherever i post it, but all I can do is post my thoughts, feelings and opinions. I would love to see Favre march into Lambeau and stick a win right up MY teams ass, and watch Thompson squirm in his box seat. I have been told repeatedly that I must not be a Packer fan. All I can do is assure you I am. I'm just not a fan of Thompson.

ExperiencedRookie

Instead of a new sports car he wants to kick the Packers a**es with Minn

You know, Brett could totally pick up Madden 09, move his likeness to Minnesota, put the settings on rookie, and just smash the living f*ck outta Green Bay! His family could all sit around and cheer him to his easiest victory of his career.

The game would open with Sidney Rice taking the opening kick off to the house. Brett would then realize that if special teams takes it to the house, he doesn't get any glory. Every kick or punt return from this point forward is being fair caught.

The defense rolls out on the field now, and Brett giggles as he smashes Jared Allen around the corner, doing his very best to hit Aaron Rodgers with as much force as possible. Problem is, Green Bay keeps running the ball, and Jared is WAY off assignment. Finally a 3rd down comes up, and here comes Jared. Brett gets him past his blocker and mashes that hit stick forward with incredible intensity. He nails Rodgers and his fans erupt!!

Green Bay punts and of course, Brett hits triangle to fair catch. Time to get that offense working and show Green Bay what they got rid of.

Brett rolls out and decides to call a run play first, a little pitch to the outside to soften the defense up. He snaps the ball and takes off with Adrian. Holy crap!! Adrian busts it. Gets right to the outside and punks out the safety. Brett can't believe it. Adrian could take it to the house, but instead, Brett runs out of bounds with him.

It's almost the end of the 1st quarter and he hasn't even forced the ball into ridiculous coverage yet. Adrian Peterson is not getting a TD.

From there it goes just as his fans all hope for. Brett never calls another running play again. He runs the same deep route to Berrian over and over and over. He tries his best to toss the ball as far as possible, showcasing his incredible arm strength.

The game ends in a colossal blowout and Brett has found his vengeance. His family all jump in the station wagon and head to KFC to celebrate.

And he lived happily ever after...

GBG

Loser
LOL.

Too many Packers fans have their tongues soldered to Brett's crusty ass.

No way. It has nothing to do with Favre. It has everything to do with not wanting the Pack to lose a game....... (even if it is just so Favre can stick it to TT.......which I could give two shits about.)

ExperiencedRookie

No way. It has nothing to do with Favre. It has everything to do with not wanting the Pack to lose a game....... (even if it is just so Favre can stick it to TT.......which I could give two shits about.)

In RC's case, Im going to speculate that it has everything to do with him having the most overblown and disgusting man crush on Favre that this forum has ever witnessed.

Remote Controller

You, sir, are not a Packer fan.
Well that would be false. From Bart through Brett, and including Rodgers. I'm a Pack fan through and through. I knew I would get this reaction from you though, that is why I prefaced my statement. This is how I feel. I feel it would be the best thing that could happen to the Pack, to get this guy tossed, and that is what it might take. I won't even respond to ER's post, as I see no reason to apologize for liking one of the greatest Qb's ever. I'm sorry you don't like how I feel about that one game in lambeau, but i assure you it's the truth. I also assure you I am a Packer Fan with a strong opinion on Thompson. favre wavering the past 4 years has bothered me too. I wish he would have just retired last year. Being my age though I guess i understand how he feels when someone tells you you can't do anything anymore and that you are washed up, but then in the same breath he tells you that he is afraid to play against you, and he is going to put a poison pill in a contract to avoid playing a washed up player. yes, they didn't want to just release him and get nothing, but i swear they could have gotten more for a washed up Favre from minnesota. There will always be disagreements here, but that doesn't mean, cut and dried, that either of us are right. I do know that I love the Pack ,and want Thompsons head. You have every right to disagree with my stance, and to give yours, but you can't tell me I'm not a packer's fan and be right.

ExperiencedRookie

I'm curious what the sins of Ted Thompson are.

What did this guy do that was so terrible that a Packers fan would not only root for his head on a platter, but root for the team to lose just so he looks bad?

Remote Controller

Sadly, he was a step up from Sherman, but it was a small step. I felt when he should have been trying for another Super Bowl, he instead always seemed like he was trying to build. I realize you have to do that, btu i felt his first big mistake was the year he grabbed Rogers. This is nothing against rodgers and he panned out great.......4YEARS later. I wonder who their real target was that year. I can virtually guarantee you that they had no scenario of Rodgers being available. That whole draft fell to the wayside if you ask me, and that was a key draft in another Super Bowl run year. Then to show his support for Rodgers, last year he grabs Brohm and Flynn. The brohm pick could have also been used better, and i doubt that was a plan going into the draft. It seems those two key picks could have been handled better then simple knee jerk reactions. I laid out my feelings on how I felt he botched the favre situation. I mean if he was all done and the team had to move on, then why stipulate where he might play so he doesn't embarass you. Favre has made many mistakes through all of this and GBG hit on it with the whole midlife crisis thing, but it was real to brett. When you are approaching 40 and a pro athlete, or you are approaching 50 like me, and somebody tells you you don't have it anymore, you tend to buck that contention. Then when you have teams you would like to play for wanting you, that feeling gets reinforced. Then the guy who says you are washed up and he doesn't need you anymore plants a pill in a contract to avoid you. That tends to even reinforce it more. I wish brett would have rode off into the sunset last year. He didn't, and I can understand why. You can say anything you want about manlove for brett, and i won't argue with you over it. There is more to it then that but you can have fun with making fun of it. This is just how I feel about the whole thing.

ExperiencedRookie

RC, I understand that this is a touchy subject for you, so I will walk carefully.

Through that entire explanation, this is what I gathered.

Ted Thompson made some strange draft picks.

Ted Thompson handled the Favre situation poorly.

Now you're calling for his head and taking the side of a player who doesn't even play for YOUR team anymore. All the way to the extent of wanting to see your team lose.

I have to say, this is a bit overboard.

You could ask any Outlaw who is passionate about an NFL team, and they'll tell you how in X-year our GM screwed up a draft pick. Hell, we'll probably tell you how our team botched a draft pick EVERY YEAR.

You don't understand the Rodgers pick, but now it comes to fruition and it was an incredible pick. Then they take Brohm and you question that too.

I don't get how any of these picks are that awful. They're looking towards the future and planning for Brett's retirement, whenever he may decide to do it.

Well, as it turns out, Brett couldn't hang it up and the team was ready to move on. They NEEDED to get Rodgers on the field so they could finally find out what they had in him, and make sure they could shore him up for the future. The longer Brett stayed, the more this was in jeopordy. So instead of just letting his crusty ass hold the team hostage for another year, and possibly screw up the future of the franchise, they GAINED a draft pick for him. They gain nothing by letting him do his offseason thing and then end up retiring.

As a Packers fan, you should love the fact that they put a "No NFC North" clause into that trade. Did you want to see Brett get moved around and get back into your division?? Seriously?

It appears that it was a good idea, because Brett was hell bent on getting his revenge. It was a genius move that sidetracked Brett for a year in NY, and kept him from getting his shot.

It was a fantastic business move by Thompson that will gain positive results for many years to come. We'll never even know just how amazing this deal was for them because we can't be sure what the flip side of the coin is.

Remote Controller

RC, I understand that this is a touchy subject for you, so I will walk carefully.

Through that entire explanation, this is what I gathered.

Ted Thompson made some strange draft picks.

Ted Thompson handled the Favre situation poorly.

Now you're calling for his head and taking the side of a player who doesn't even play for YOUR team anymore. All the way to the extent of wanting to see your team lose.

I have to say, this is a bit overboard.

You could ask any Outlaw who is passionate about an NFL team, and they'll tell you how in X-year our GM screwed up a draft pick. Hell, we'll probably tell you how our team botched a draft pick EVERY YEAR.

You don't understand the Rodgers pick, but now it comes to fruition and it was an incredible pick. Then they take Brohm and you question that too.

I don't get how any of these picks are that awful. They're looking towards the future and planning for Brett's retirement, whenever he may decide to do it.

Well, as it turns out, Brett couldn't hang it up and the team was ready to move on. They NEEDED to get Rodgers on the field so they could finally find out what they had in him, and make sure they could shore him up for the future. The longer Brett stayed, the more this was in jeopordy. So instead of just letting his crusty ass hold the team hostage for another year, and possibly screw up the future of the franchise, they GAINED a draft pick for him. They gain nothing by letting him do his offseason thing and then end up retiring.

As a Packers fan, you should love the fact that they put a "No NFC North" clause into that trade. Did you want to see Brett get moved around and get back into your division?? Seriously?

It appears that it was a good idea, because Brett was hell bent on getting his revenge. It was a genius move that sidetracked Brett for a year in NY, and kept him from getting his shot.

It was a fantastic business move by Thompson that will gain positive results for many years to come. We'll never even know just how amazing this deal was for them because we can't be sure what the flip side of the coin is.
I have not seen anything fantastic out of Thompson, unless it is fantastic in your estimation to have drafted Flynn, and Brohm last year in case the knee jerk reaction from over 4 years ago didn't pan out. That's called using a shotgun to kill a squirrel. I also wonder if it was brilliant to sidetrack for a year, somebody who was washed up, when he clearly could have gotten more for favre out of minnesota. That would have been more brilliant. Get more for a player.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExperiencedRookie

I have not seen anything fantastic out of Thompson, unless it is fantastic in your estimation to have drafted Flynn, and Brohm last year in case the knee jerk reaction from over 4 years ago didn't pan out. That's called using a shotgun to kill a squirrel.

It's just a couple draft picks man. Good lord. You're acting like he should be crucified because he made selections that you don't agree with.

I don't see nearly enough evidence from you to justify your "crucify Thompson" stance.

I was expecting you to go into great detail about how he really dropped the ball on something that I had never heard of before.

Remote Controller

It's just a couple draft picks man. Good lord. You're acting like he should be crucified because he made selections that you don't agree with.

I don't see nearly enough evidence from you to justify your "crucify Thompson" stance.

I was expecting you to go into great detail about how he really dropped the ball on something that I had never heard of before.
If you really wanted to understand why I felt the way I did you would have read that I pointed out just 2 of his mistakes, "in my estimation". (that means that's the way I felt about them) I said nothing about those being the only two mistakes. I really don't need to keep re-explaining why I feel the way I do. I simply feel that way, and that is reason enough for me. I feel Thompson let another title run, run down his leg. I feel the packers would be better served with a new GM. It's an opinion I have a right to, and you questioning that right is just for the sake of arguement.

Sadly, he was a step up from Sherman, but it was a small step. I felt when he should have been trying for another Super Bowl, he instead always seemed like he was trying to build. I realize you have to do that, btu i felt his first big mistake was the year he grabbed Rogers. This is nothing against rodgers and he panned out great.......4YEARS later. I wonder who their real target was that year. I can virtually guarantee you that they had no scenario of Rodgers being available. That whole draft fell to the wayside if you ask me, and that was a key draft in another Super Bowl run year. Then to show his support for Rodgers, last year he grabs Brohm and Flynn. The brohm pick could have also been used better, and i doubt that was a plan going into the draft. It seems those two key picks could have been handled better then simple knee jerk reactions. I laid out my feelings on how I felt he botched the favre situation. I mean if he was all done and the team had to move on, then why stipulate where he might play so he doesn't embarass you. Favre has made many mistakes through all of this and GBG hit on it with the whole midlife crisis thing, but it was real to brett. When you are approaching 40 and a pro athlete, or you are approaching 50 like me, and somebody tells you you don't have it anymore, you tend to buck that contention. Then when you have teams you would like to play for wanting you, that feeling gets reinforced. Then the guy who says you are washed up and he doesn't need you anymore plants a pill in a contract to avoid you. That tends to even reinforce it more. I wish brett would have rode off into the sunset last year. He didn't, and I can understand why. You can say anything you want about manlove for brett, and i won't argue with you over it. There is more to it then that but you can have fun with making fun of it. This is just how I feel about the whole thing.

I'm a Lion fan but having family from Wisc. and it being my moms team I liked them even when they had Magic Man at the helm. I never thought Sherman or Thompson did anything so terrible but I admit they were never people I focused much on.

I disagree with you on the Rodgers pick. Favre was old then and no one knew how much longer he was going to play. Picking Rodgers was perfect because they figured he had 1-2 years to learn behind Favre and be ready when the great one retired. To blame them then for not seeing Favre's flipping and flopping on the retirement question seems a bit unfair.

I did not DIS-like the Brohm pick since they needed quality depth behind Rodgers and there wasn't much on the market - Couch was brought in to see if he could bounce back but couldn't. I was a little surprised by the Flynn pick but considering I have seen him ranked ahead of Brohm on different depth charts the investment appeared worthwhile. They have 3 solid young QBs and that is now a position they will not have to worry about for some time (unless they go elsewhere to start at the end of their contracts). That is important since early on there were questions about Rodgers holding up.

As for mishandling the Favre issue - there is enough blame on both sides and although I don't hold it against him my guess there is more on Favre's shoulders than people are recognizing. I know I was one who had the impression he was holding the team hostage each off season with his I'll get back with you on what my decision is going to be in a few months. The 1st year I was more than willing to overlook since I wanted him back as much as anyone. But then he made that a yearly ritual and I do not blame the organization for deciding to move on.

Remote Controller

I'm a Lion fan but having family from Wisc. and it being my moms team I liked them even when they had Magic Man at the helm. I never thought Sherman or Thompson did anything so terrible but I admit they were never people I focused much on.

I disagree with you on the Rodgers pick. Favre was old then and no one knew how much longer he was going to play. Picking Rodgers was perfect because they figured he had 1-2 years to learn behind Favre and be ready when the great one retired. To blame them then for not seeing Favre's flipping and flopping on the retirement question seems a bit unfair.

I did not DIS-like the Brohm pick since they needed quality depth behind Rodgers and there wasn't much on the market - Couch was brought in to see if he could bounce back but couldn't. I was a little surprised by the Flynn pick but considering I have seen him ranked ahead of Brohm on different depth charts the investment appeared worthwhile. They have 3 solid young QBs and that is now a position they will not have to worry about for some time (unless they go elsewhere to start at the end of their contracts). That is important since early on there were questions about Rodgers holding up.

As for mishandling the Favre issue - there is enough blame on both sides and although I don't hold it against him my guess there is more on Favre's shoulders than people are recognizing. I know I was one who had the impression he was holding the team hostage each off season with his I'll get back with you on what my decision is going to be in a few months. The 1st year I was more than willing to overlook since I wanted him back as much as anyone. But then he made that a yearly ritual and I do not blame the organization for deciding to move on.
This type of arguement I can deal with. I just see it differently, and it's the only way I can explain the big fall the team took when the Qb Rodger's was a shining star.

ExperiencedRookie

This type of arguement I can deal with. I just see it differently, and it's the only way I can explain the big fall the team took when the Qb Rodger's was a shining star.

My arguments are garbage then?

[/QUOTE]If you really wanted to understand why I felt the way I did you would have read that I pointed out just 2 of his mistakes, "in my estimation". (that means that's the way I felt about them) I said nothing about those being the only two mistakes. I really don't need to keep re-explaining why I feel the way I do. I simply feel that way, and that is reason enough for me. I feel Thompson let another title run, run down his leg. I feel the packers would be better served with a new GM. It's an opinion I have a right to, and you questioning that right is just for the sake of arguement .[/QUOTE]

Maybe I missed something, but I've never heard you explain why you feel the way you do. If you pointed me to a thread or a quote, I would gladly re-examine it myself. I've always known you as a strong Favre supporter and Packers fan, but I don't know where you're coming from with your die hard Favre support, and your crucify Thompson stance.

As far as the title that Thompson let run down his leg, which year was this? What did Thompson do that caused the team to miss out on a Super Bowl? I don't remember anything like this. This would help explain why Thompson is hated.

I'm not going back and forth with you on this for the sake of argument, I just want you to make me understand. Telling me about a few drafts picks and stomping your feet and saying "It's my opinion" just isn't enough.

Remote Controller

My arguments are garbage then?
This is the only part I read. (above)
yes they are, if they are only intended for that purpose(which that is your purpose). I have explained my feelings repeatedly. If you don't agree with them, i don't care. His response left room for me to own my opinion and disagree with it. I respect that!!