Report - Favre to remain retired

GBG

Loser

I couldn't believe he said this:
"I think it’s despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good. Here’s an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasn’t about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favre’s of the world so much, they think it’s about them. He goes to New York and bombs. He’s 39 years old. How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year (playing for) the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers. I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail.”

As the writer says, that's a Limbaugh-on-Obama level of hatred right there.

GBG

Loser
Are there any Viking fans on this Board? If so, I would like to hear thier opinion on what they think of Favre possibly being a Viking.

Anyhow, this is pretty much the sentiment that I am told via my Vike friend of how the Purple People Eaters feel about the situation:

Does anyone believe the Minnesota Vikings wouldn't be better with Brett Favre? Of course some do but I don't, his pre-madonna motivation to reign the Vikings to a Superbowl simply to spite his former GM is going to carry him far enough. That type of attitude isn't for the Vikings. We need a team made of selfless leaders and selfish role players. Our Quarterback Tavaris Jackson needs to simply develop himself as a passer, stop trying to be a runner, and become a leader. Our wide receivers need to stop being scared and get hungry. The fear of being hit isn't enough for them to run fast, the motivation should be the touchdown. The end zone dance should be their highlight.

No questions should be asked of Adrian Peterson, he's the quintessential Vikings player if we are focused on winning a championship. He will ignite our team by his humble legs and polite footwork. He won't crush opponents unless you are trying to crush him and he'll dodge, deke, and discomfort by making you looking stupid, when possible. We don't ask for a team of winners all the time but when the game is on the line we expect there to be a decision made that keeps the team churning.

Brett Favre doesn't do that, he loses his cool, the nerve of Johnny B Good doesn't hold up when the wind is whipping and the linebackers are grunting. He is afraid of the hit, the stress, even his own mind will fail him. His arm hasn't given up but his mind is self-destructive. Look at his attempt to retire, he doesn't know what to do so he spends more time in limbo. The limbo prevents him from being the great player he used to be, he is choked up with fear of being great again. He is made to be the mid-level winner.

A Superbowl isn't special if you play for nearly twenty years and only win 1. While many players never win, we aren't talking about average players. We are discussing the elite crop so the stakes, limits, and expectations are higher. Brett Favre just doesn't seem to live up to the standard he has created for himself. Except that we all expect him to choke. So when a Minnesotan asks me about Brett Favre, I always reply, "Let him drowned another team, I don't want T.O. and I don't want Brett Farve. We should have gone after Matt Cassell."

Ref.

Are there any Viking fans on this Board? If so, I would like to hear thier opinion on what they think of Favre possibly being a Viking.

I don't think a Lion fan can ever be considered a fan of Minny or GB but I am about as close as possible. With Min it goes back to Fran T. and my mom is from Wisc so there has always been a soft spot for "her" team (except for 2 weeks each season).

I think you are looking at this to narrowly and focusing more on the breakdown last season in NY than you should. Jackson still has potential but has never had a qb in front of him of the caliber Brett still is. The real value of bringing Favre in is having him start the season as the starter if your assessment of his decline presents itself move TJ into the starting lineup and see if that is the wake up call Brett needs. Like or dislike his tactices Favre is a leader and with the upgrade in talent between Minny and NY should be enough to prevent the NY scenario from repeating itself.

That type of attitude isn't for the Vikings. We need a team made of selfless leaders and selfish role players. Our Quarterback Tavaris Jackson needs to simply develop himself as a passer, stop trying to be a runner, and become a leader.

The source of Favre's personal motivation isn't the issue it should be that he is motivated. His attitude through his entire career is of a competitor who does not back down. That is what you want TJ exposed to because that is what will truely prepare him when his time to step up arrives.

Brett Favre doesn't do that, he loses his cool, the nerve of Johnny B Good doesn't hold up when the wind is whipping and the linebackers are grunting. He is afraid of the hit, the stress, even his own mind will fail him. His arm hasn't given up but his mind is self-destructive. He is made to be the mid-level winner.

Favre has not operated from fear but from a competitiveness that forces passes... We are talking about the Ironman here. The personnel already on the roster is more than enough to prevent him from taking it upon himself - I think that is a large part of why he has become fixated on Minn. If Favre does start to mentally lapse bring TJ in and reign Favre in or proceed without him.