Zeke?

hikeNbike

So premise is I got the exact pick I didnt want in the draft 4. The good news is one guy ahead of me often picks a qb in the first round though he didnt last year. Assumin Barkley, Kamara, and NcAffrey are off the board. Would you risk Zeke.12 team league 1 point ppr start 1 qb 2 rbs 3 wrs 1 te and and a flex. My choices are really Zeke, Hopkins, Adams, Johnson or maybe do I dare take Kelce? Seems like a little too early for a TE. I've drafted a qb once or twice in this league but even when the qb balled out hasnt been enough to overcome the deficiencies in other areas and I do have some questions if Mahomes can repeat last years numbers. After Bell last year its conceivable that Elliot could sit out?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Zeke has returned to the city of Dallas this weekend. Deal isn't done yet but most expect it to be. Of those you named most have an issue of their own. DJ apparently hasn't got any sort of an "O" line, Adams has a prickly, hobbled QB, too early for Kelce leaving Hopkins as your only "safe" choice. Roll the dice and grab Zeke. He gains nothing by sitting out.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Honestly if you go Adams or Hopkins could you trade down and get better value? Taking a Wr that early is a waste in value ...

As for Zeke - I think he plays at some point, holding out all year gets him absolutely nothing. Then again, coming back gets him nothing either, he won't accrue a whole season now. So not sure what effect this will all have.....

Kelce in the first is ridiculous, I know I have seen him go there but it is ridiculous.
Actually I don't think D. Johnson is that big a risk, as he will get a ton of dump off passes in PPR league.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Too me, it would come down to DJ or taking the risk with Zeke. If I'm drafting today... I'd personally take DJ. But that could cha GE quickly with positive news out of Dallas.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
While I know that Zeke's mind ain't screwed on exactly like mine I'm trusting that his eyes haven't failed him. If he's in Dallas he shouldn't have any trouble seeing what Pollard is doing. He gains nothing and unless he's a complete idiot he'll decide that over $1.5M per game week is enough.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Here is the thing, and if I am wrong, then someone please correct me.

Zeke has two years left on his rookie deal - the final year on the contract and the option year. For him to accrue a full season this year to go toward FA in 2 years he had to be in camp by August something or other. He missed that date.

So if he does not hold out til he gets a new deal, then he will not accrue a season this year, and Dallas then gets him for another year added on. Again, this is not confirmed, but I thought that was what was written.

So he HAS to get a new deal, and thus HAS to continue to hold out. Now, how big a deal is another thing. Dallas might be willing to pay him more, for a year or two extension...but they cannot pay him as a top Rb as they also have to pay Cooper and Dak.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Phic... I heard the same thing, just not sure when that date was/is. If he doesn't report by that date, past or future, he won't accrue a year towards FA. Puts your chips all in. You don't give up year towards Ufa unless you are willing to hold on until ya get the deal. If that date is past, he is all in on the hold out at this point. If it's not, that is the date to watch.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Just looked it up, the date was Aug 6...hes all in boys. If he eventually gets a deal, it's a non issue... But he has to get the deal now... He backed himself into a corner here.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Yes and no. His option year is next year and if he plays for the Cowboys next year he still gets the status he desires. He only needs one more year whether it is this year or next. Either way he isn't playing anywhere but Big D unless the Cowboys kick his dumb ass out of town. $30M he has turned down. He's an idiot.

Walter34

The question is whether his option year also gets moved out?? I don't know the answer.

I see it this way
1. Dak is a mediocre QB (somewhere between 12-18 in current rank and potential) and wants to be paid more than the top 5 QBs. Ludicrous
2. Amari is somewhere in the same 12-18 rank for WRs and seems to think he is in the same company as the top 5. Ludicrous
3. At least Elliot is a top 5 at his position and all RBs are underpaid during their short and most valuable years. They have the shortest careers and by the time their rookie deal is done, they are too old with too many miles to get the real money. At least I can see his position but that is the life of a NFL RB. Look at Jordan Howard - very productive making peanuts and now he is traded for a 6th rounder and in a committee. Never got paid and probably never will. Momma - don't raise your boys to be RBs.

Either way, Jerry is screwed as he can't afford all of his talent on a team that is destined for 8 or 9 wins every year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yes and no. His option year is next year and if he plays for the Cowboys next year he still gets the status he desires. He only needs one more year whether it is this year or next. Either way he isn't playing anywhere but Big D unless the Cowboys kick his dumb ass out of town. $30M he has turned down. He's an idiot.
that isn't correct. IF he holds out all year, they can roll the current year over I believe, so the option year gets pushed out a year. I agree with Miller, he is all in on this move

Phicinfan

Administrator
The question is whether his option year also gets moved out?? I don't know the answer.

I see it this way
1. Dak is a mediocre QB (somewhere between 12-18 in current rank and potential) and wants to be paid more than the top 5 QBs. Ludicrous
2. Amari is somewhere in the same 12-18 rank for WRs and seems to think he is in the same company as the top 5. Ludicrous
3. At least Elliot is a top 5 at his position and all RBs are underpaid during their short and most valuable years. They have the shortest careers and by the time their rookie deal is done, they are too old with too many miles to get the real money. At least I can see his position but that is the life of a NFL RB. Look at Jordan Howard - very productive making peanuts and now he is traded for a 6th rounder and in a committee. Never got paid and probably never will. Momma - don't raise your boys to be RBs.

Either way, Jerry is screwed as he can't afford all of his talent on a team that is destined for 8 or 9 wins every year.
Thank you, I have the same concerns...
To me I don't break the bank on Prescott, when he played well, it was due to O-line and Zeke, and Cooper, not himself. I would rather roll the dice on drafting another Qb or some potentially really good FAs(Brees, Rivers and so on).

Cooper, I just don't buy him, he had a great year for Dallas last year, but he is very hot and cold to me. I think all the latest deals have probably priced him out ....

Zeke - he is a huge talent, and deserves the money, but if you tie him in look at what happened to LA Rams, with Gurley. Like it or not, Rb can and really is a plug and play in the NFL right now. BUT, I would rather see them spend on Zeke, than Dak.

ExperiencedRookie

Thank you, I have the same concerns...
To me I don't break the bank on Prescott, when he played well, it was due to O-line and Zeke, and Cooper, not himself. I would rather roll the dice on drafting another Qb or some potentially really good FAs(Brees, Rivers and so on).

Cooper, I just don't buy him, he had a great year for Dallas last year, but he is very hot and cold to me. I think all the latest deals have probably priced him out ....

Zeke - he is a huge talent, and deserves the money, but if you tie him in look at what happened to LA Rams, with Gurley. Like it or not, Rb can and really is a plug and play in the NFL right now. BUT, I would rather see them spend on Zeke, than Dak.
Something to remember about Cooper..

Dude is still crazy young. He’s only a few months older than Calvin Ridley. He has only just now hit the beginning of peak years

Phicinfan

Administrator
Something to remember about Cooper..

Dude is still crazy young. He’s only a few months older than Calvin Ridley. He has only just now hit the beginning of peak years
He has been in the league 5 years. I am tired of waiting for his "peak" years. Thanks no thanks

ExperiencedRookie

Ju Ju blasted off at 20 and has outproduced cooper
So...one guy?

I’m sure there are a couple others. All of them are probably elite studs. There’s 50 dudes for every Juju example that took time to develop.

Keep in mind, Cooper has been playing with Derek Carr & a few games with Dak. Juju gets Big Ben in a prolific offense.

hikeNbike

So I ended up with Mcaffrey as third puck went Mahomes. To answer questions above I couldnt trade down. Not an option to trade picks in this draft. Would have likely taken Hopkins if I was forced to choose. League specific I get but having to start 3 wrs versus 2 rbs plus not feeling comfortable with Zeke possibly missing a few games even if he does report and having to draft Pollard a little early to prevent being swiped likely would havr swayed me.