Where will Manning land and why?

DearbornDolfan

According to what's going around the Fins news wire, Manning specifically does not want to play in the NFC because he doesn't like playing his brother. He also, apparently, does not want to play any more cold weather games than he has to; which means NYJ and Seattle are out. The final piece of the puzzle is that Manning wants to get this over with ASAP and I think Ross is the only guy that will give Manning whatever he wants provided he checks out medically.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not going to happen, if it would have, they would have re-done his deal and not alienated 1/2 their fan base. Sorry, this has no chance of happening, but I bet you have fun dreaming it up ;)

If it is possible, the team Manning lands with goes without questioning why.

If it is legal, the one team in the NFL ready for Manning will sign him to a brand new contract.

They would have had to pay that 28 million because they don't trust him.
By releasing Manning, the Colts will keep him.

And in the end it will achieve a goal they could have only dreamed of achieving - Every team in the league that chased or chases PM is no longer chaste in how they feel about their current QB situation. Plus, it sends those teams into a false mode of cap calculations and draft reconfigurations.

He's gonna land with the Colts because that was the plan all along.
Leaving those who got tricked into chomping at the bit, looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Think about it. He has a team he can play for. And he can play for whatever dollar amount he wants.
A team built around him that didn't make one move to change that fact during the season.

Question - what team in the NFL is built by Peyton Manning specifically for Peyton Manning?
Answer - the team he will play for, that's why

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
According to what's going around the Fins news wire, Manning specifically does not want to play in the NFC because he doesn't like playing his brother. He also, apparently, does not want to play any more cold weather games than he has to; which means NYJ and Seattle are out. The final piece of the puzzle is that Manning wants to get this over with ASAP and I think Ross is the only guy that will give Manning whatever he wants provided he checks out medically.
I won't argue with you on whether Philbin does or does not want him. I do agree that Seattle is still in play per what was posted above.

I see due to stadium or weather the following options for Manning:
Miami - but I think Flynn who can be had cheaper maybe long term might fit better
Arizona - would have to deal Kolb, or make this a really heavy incentive deal
San Fran - west coast, good weather
Jacksonville - no mention to this point, but they got Gabbert petty cheap, and was old regime, so they could use that as an excuse. But need WRs bad, so a Wayne deal may help seal this.

for close to winning:
San Fran
Kansas City - but outdoors and cold weather team.....
Seattle - young defense is getting better, and they have rb set up. Need OL help and Wr help

I don't know if there is a mortal lock here. I think Miami is a target due to Qb desperation, and solid showing last year. Just not sure of the fit. Nor would I agree that Indy runs a WC offense.

DearbornDolfan

Insofar as any team runs a West Coast Offense, Indy did. Yeah, they focus on the intermediate and deep passes more, but then again every WC team has their own variation. Stretch was THE staple of Indy's run game and that sort of zone running is pure WC.

As for Seattle, their winters can be nasty and there's no getting around the fact that it's an NFC team. New York's nice in the summer as well, but their winters suck as much as Rhode Island's. All Manning has to do is take Gooddel aside and whisper into his ear that if Miami has to play on the road in the winter months, he'd really like it to be in the south or in a dome, but he'd really prefer to avoid road trips during the winter if at all possible. If you think the Commish won't do what Manning wants, I'd like some of what you're smoking.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
As for Seattle, their winters can be nasty and there's no getting around the fact that it's an NFC team.

If a constant light drizzle is nasty, sure. But Seattle isn't cold. It rarely snows here, and when it does, the city shuts down. If rain is an issue, wouldn't that rule out more rainy Miami?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Denver Post reports that Broncos officials will meet with free agent Peyton Manning on Friday night in Denver.
Writes Broncos beat reporter Mike Klis, "this is getting serious, folks." The meeting in Denver is Manning's first official free-agent visit, so the Broncos are absolutely getting aggressive. Whether Manning and his representatives -- who also rep in-place Broncos starter Tim Tebow -- will have as much interested is to be determined. Klis reports Manning wants to "make a decision by Tuesday," the formal start of free agency. One source told the Post that Manning will also make official visits to the Cardinals and Dolphins. So the three favorites to sign Manning have emerged: Denver, Arizona, and Miami.
Source: Denver Post

deuce4321

Driller
Let's explore Denver. If they land peyton do they trade away tebow? Tebow can't run a Peyton offense if there is injury.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Let's explore Denver. If they land peyton do they trade away tebow? Tebow can't run a Peyton offense if there is injury.
They will have to. No way would Tebow ever be able to do what Manning does. Nor, would you tailor an offense Tebow can do for Manning. If they sign Manning, then you have to assume Tebow is trade bait...for what ever they can get. Or convert to rb or wr. It isn't a bad move, as fans won't mind loss of Tebow to gain a Manning. But don't you need another Qb then...if Manning has issues?

Phicinfan

Administrator
According to one local radio source, the KC Chiefs have offered a contract to Manning. This is unconfirmed, but it is being reported.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
They were the only team to offer up a contract on Thursaday according to reports. However it doesn't look like KC is on the short list of 3. Miami is said to be losing ground.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Radio Station in Austin is offering a free round of golf if you guessed the right team (naturally only like 20 people could enter). Sadly, I missed on the Broncos and had to take the Chiefs.

DearbornDolfan

I don't buy the "Miami is losing ground" talk. It's based on an unrealistic expectation that Miami would be first to talk to him and would then offer a deal he couldn't refuse [/godfather]. I think what's really happening is that Denver, Miami, and Arizona were the three teams that contacted his camp and ballparked contract numbers. Peyton's now going around to see what teams are really willing to offer, both from a contract perspective and from a control perspective. I'm not sure if the other two teams are willing to let Peyton be the coach on the field like he's always been, but Miami is judging from Philbin's comments on the QB position in general.

jjtweeks

Crazy stuff if he goes to Broncos. Definitely will be a good team with him though. Tebow could be moved to TE and play a role as 3rd string QB. Could be like Jim Jensen of the Dolphins in the 80's .. play a little of everything. Still say manning ends up with the Phins or Cards

Phicinfan

Administrator
I think Miami has another FA Qb in mind. Have just heard that Washington has scheduled a meeting as well, I don't see that happening at all, no way Manning plays for the Rat and faces his brother twice a year.

xqj47alpha

Banned
Manning playing for the Chiefs would be alright with me. Not gonna happen.
Manning playing under Elway? I find it highly unlikely 7 is looking to nearly triple 18's legacy in the grand scheme of things.
Miami would be an option if only they were an original NFL team.

Peyton can control one thing, his own legacy.
And no QB legend ever got larger by leaving his team.

he won't play in the nfc.

He's staying with, or er, uh, going to sign with the Colts.
Word is that's his best fit

Last edited by a moderator: