What QB are you targeting as your Back-up?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So what QB do you want as your back-up? Last year I targeted newton in a few leagues as my back-up to a top QB and ended up with gold. So who is the b/u QB you covet the most this season?

cctekguy

Staff member
For the 3rd year in a row I will probably target Bradford.

No luck so far but, by golly, one of these days.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
For me it depends if I have a top QB or not. If I don't, someone like Cutler will be high on my b/u QB list. Flacco is another one I would target as I know what I am getting there. Not spectacular, but solid. Dalton is another one.

If I have a solid QB in place and I'm looking to swing for the fences at back-up, I like Sam Bradford and Robert Griffin III.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Dalton for cincy, Fitzgerald in Buffalo, Roethlisburger in Pittsburg(think he could have a heck of a bounce back year...).

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
In general Fitzpatrick and Cutler could provide a big return on investment.
If I draft my QB1 high then I can wait for a Palmer or Smith.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
In general Fitzpatrick and Cutler could provide a big return on investment.
If I draft my QB1 high then I can wait for a Palmer or Smith.

My answer was quick. Key to me is who your #1 Qb is. If you have a qb that is an injury risk like Vick or Romo then you have to move earlier to get a solid backup that can get you pts consistently. If you have a guy like Manning's (before injury for Peyton), Brady or Brees who never seem to miss time...then you can wait later and snag someone with less upside. Makes sense since you probably gave up a first or 2nd to get Brees, Rodgers, Brady or so. So waiting til last minute to get back up lets you make up for loss of early Rb or Wr grabs.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Ha, you guys are naming all my potential starters in my keeper league. It worked last year and barring injury will again this.

Coachnorm

Some nice ones named, so far.

Houston Texans QB Matt Schaub (foot) will be 100 percent when training camp begins in late July. Schaub is healthy after Lisfranc surgery on his right foot last November.

gizzil

not one bite on mc knob? ahh well... if you can get schaub and cutler as backups for sure!

gizzil

well... in a league anywhere maybe so... but in chicago everyone picks bears early. Also im thinkin this is cutlers bust out year, and should be in the top 12 qb's...

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
well... in a league anywhere maybe so... but in chicago everyone picks bears early. Also im thinkin this is cutlers bust out year, and should be in the top 12 qb's...
anywhere you are, a local league is going to favor the local team in drafting and push them higher than they normally would be taken. per FF calc, Cutler has a current ADP of 9.3 which makes him on average the 14th QB off the board.

I was wrong on Schaub though, and may have to rethink this. Schaub has a current ADP of 10.2 and the 15th QB. Sorry norm, had no idea he was think far down the list. I know the injury risk, but if you can get him this late I see no reason not to roll the dice on him! He can be a top 5 scoring QB when he and AJ are healthy.

Escrow

I usually do not draft a backup QB until the last 3 rounds.....nor do I draft one earlier than round 5....last year I got Stafford in the 8th....I prefer the RB/WR/TE positions to be stacked because if you can find a QB that is decent enough to give you about 10 points a week you are golden....that is just my re-draft strategy...don't ask me about how to do it in a dynasty league :)