Week 1 Start Advice

Baldie

I'm in a 10 team league with standard scoring.....2WR/2RB/TE/WR-RB-TE. Some advice or suggestions are appreciated. My potential starters in RED.

RB
D Martin vs Car
Redman @ Den
Mathews @ Oak
Wells vs Sea
WR
Megatron vs Stl
S Smith @ TB
L Moore @ Was
S Johnson @ NYJ
TE
Gates @ Oak
Dickson vs Cin

If you have any suggestions on waiver wire pick-ups, I AM ALL EARS!!

jjtweeks

The only change I would make is Wells over Redman. Seahawks run D is somewhere in the middle while Denver's is not as great but Beanie I believe will have more touches and be relied on more than Redman will. Sounds like there is still question as whether Redman will be the main guy this week. Dwyer has impressed the coaches and will be pushing Redman for touches though it sounds like Redman will still be the guy pounding it into the endzone given the chance.
Beanie sounds just a bit safer this week to me.
With a ten team league there might be better options at WR .
With TB's run def being by far the worst in the league Smith might not get much action at all. Between Cam, williams, and Stewart, they might just run all day.
Johnson against Revis will be tough but i still think he will have a good game.
Not sure if i would start Moore over Smith but would be uncomfortable with Smith's production this week.( Just noticed there was a flex) Maybe Redman over Smith

realmwalker

Maybe consider B.Wells in Week 1 versus Seattle over Denver, but that's a hard call as Seattle has been tough on the run and I do see Ryan Williams eventually being the starter in AZ this year(so if Avail, grab him on WW). I think I might give the edge to Wells in Week 1 over S.Johnson (or Redman as suggested above) but that's a close call.

cctekguy

Staff member
Wells was my first thought also, but I would also take a look at Moore vs Wash. instead of Johnson vs Jets.

Jets aren't much this year but their D can still shut down an offense. New Orleans ought to post big numbers vs Wash.

jjtweeks

One more Smith fact. 2 game total last season vs TB 3 catches 41 yds 1 rush 23 yds
Johnson 2 game total vs Jets 11 catches 159 yds 1 td
for 2011 season

Baldie

The only change I would make is Wells over Redman. Seahawks run D is somewhere in the middle while Denver's is not as great but Beanie I believe will have more touches and be relied on more than Redman will. Sounds like there is still question as whether Redman will be the main guy this week. Dwyer has impressed the coaches and will be pushing Redman for touches though it sounds like Redman will still be the guy pounding it into the endzone given the chance.
Beanie sounds just a bit safer this week to me.
With a ten team league there might be better options at WR .
With TB's run def being by far the worst in the league Smith might not get much action at all. Between Cam, williams, and Stewart, they might just run all day.
Johnson against Revis will be tough but i still think he will have a good game.
Not sure if i would start Moore over Smith but would be uncomfortable with Smith's production this week.( Just noticed there was a flex) Maybe Redman over Smith

The top WR/RB on WW for this week:
WR
L Robinson
S Holmes
Crabtree
Boldin
J Jones
D Moore
D Baldwin
T Young
Doucet
RB
Bush
Jacobs
Helu
Mccluster
Gerhart
Ingram

Are any of these better when what I have?

Last edited by a moderator:

Baldie

One more Smith fact. 2 game total last season vs TB 3 catches 41 yds 1 rush 23 yds
Johnson 2 game total vs Jets 11 catches 159 yds 1 td
for 2011 season

Got a point! LOL...I was just thinking the Jets D will play harder due to the lack of offense they have right now.

jjtweeks

Denarius Moore had 2 of his best games last season against the Charges with both games overs 100yds and 2 td in one of them. You have to pay attention to his injury status but long term I definitely like him better than L Moore and i like him week one better too as of right now but you have to make sure he is probable or good to go. questionable or worse then i would not for week 1.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I like your receivers this week.....however, I do like some of the WW options long term over Moore. I think I'd go with Crabtree over Moore on your roster.

At RB, I agree with most here. I like Wells over Redman.

Coachnorm

Sunday
Steelers running back Isaac Redman is questionable for Sunday's game against Denver with ankle and hip injuries. Always did like RBs in the flex.

Baldie

The top WR/RB on WW for this week:
WR
L Robinson
S Holmes
Crabtree
Boldin
J Jones
D Moore
D Baldwin
T Young
Doucet
RB
Bush
Jacobs
Helu
Mccluster
Gerhart
Ingram

Are any of these better when what I have?

Are any of these guys worthy of a spot or a possible start this weekend? I'm thinking about dropping my other TE Dickson to open up a spot. I figure I'll be riding Gates most of the season and I can grab a TE when gates goes on a bye. My only worry is if Gates gets hurt, but if it helps my team now, I'll make the move.

SchultzAndy

Fantasy Football Veteran
I personally would pick up Gerhart for a spot start this week. All signs in MN are they are not concerned with winning this year, but rather building for the future. Expect AP to play very limited action first few games. Gerhart will get the bulk of the work for week 1 and possible further into the season.

#1bears fan

Michael bush could be decent with garbage time against IND. and if Forte goes down he can take over so I would stash him.

Baldie

Would Ronnie Brown be a good start this weekend with Mathews possibly out? I'm wondering if I should pick him up for this weekend. Maybe drop Owen Daniels spot to make room. I currently have Gates starting anyway.

SchultzAndy

Fantasy Football Veteran
I would rank your options for your #2 RB as follows:

1. Gerhart
2. Bush
3. Brown
4. Wells
5. Redman

I think we have seen the best of Ronnie Brown in years past but for if you are expecting mediocre numbers on Monday night you could do worse. Either Gerhart or Bush would have much higher ceilings for their matchups this week in my opinion.