Vikings/Patriots talking trade of Randy Moss

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
Patriots WR Brandon Tate is expected to see the biggest increase in value following Randy Moss' departure.

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi believes that Tate will become the team's "deep threat" and "a major contributor." Tate has already flashed game changing ability in his brief NFL stint, and should be picked up in all formats.
Source: Michael Lombardi on Twitter

deuce4321

Driller
maybe a slight downgrade for welker as he will now be the most dangerous receiver in town. Taking away the double team that Moss was demanding is going to be a big hit for welker.

Remote Controller

maybe a slight downgrade for welker as he will now be the most dangerous receiver in town. Taking away the double team that Moss was demanding is going to be a big hit for welker.
Woodhead will be Faulk, and hernandez and tate will stretch the field. welker will not be bothered at all, in my opinion.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Love the move for Minny. They would now have the deep threat they desperately needed to replace Rice. Plus, they have him only for one year, so Rice can come back next year and resume.

Love the move for NE as they will have the extra picks from Carolina, Minny and one other who escapes me. So YES they have the extra fire power to make a move for V.J. if they wanted to pull the trigger.

:wow: big move here

I believe they have a 1st rounder from Oakland they got from the Seymore trade

maverick824

what kind of numbers should we expect from tate?

he's currently getting between 4-5 targets a game, having passed up Edelman as the WR3....i'd expect around 2-4 more targets, not a lot, but if you're in a ret ydage league, he should be LONG gone......

Vicious_Machine

What about Brady here? Clearly Favre gets a HUGE upgrade, but is Brady taking a hit here? I mean, yes, Moss has not done much this year, and Brady has produced without Moss, but going from Randy Moss to a Tate? That seems major downground, even with his possible upside?

Or you guys think this is a good time to target Brady instead given his owner might not be too happy?

Trade away Romo to get Brady?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
The effect of Randy Moss' loss on Tom Brady's fantasy value remains to be seen.

It definitely isn't a good thing. Even when failing to rack up catches and yards, Moss was dominating in the red zone as well as clearing the field for others. The Pats head into their Week 5 bye with the apparent intent of utilizing a "take what they'll give us" approach, as opposed to an attacking, downfield style. Brady was mostly a mid-range to low-end QB1 in five seasons as a starter prior to Moss' 2007 acquisition. Owners shouldn't panic, but they can't expect Brady to finish as a top-five fantasy quarterback. He's currently No. 6.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
rotoworld,
The effect of Randy Moss' loss on Tom Brady's fantasy value remains to be seen.

It definitely isn't a good thing. Even when failing to rack up catches and yards, Moss was dominating in the red zone as well as clearing the field for others. The Pats head into their Week 5 bye with the apparent intent of utilizing a "take what they'll give us" approach, as opposed to an attacking, downfield style. Brady was mostly a mid-range to low-end QB1 in five seasons as a starter prior to Moss' 2007 acquisition. Owners shouldn't panic, but they can't expect Brady to finish as a top-five fantasy quarterback. He's currently No. 6.
I simply don't understand this point of view. Please show me exactly WHAT randy has done so far for Brady??? I think it showed this last week they can win without Randy. I think this will be a huge uptake for Hernandez, Gronk and Woody. I see Welker being fine if Tate can take the coverage deep and keep Welker free in the middle and short.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
Brett Favre has always wanted to play alongside him. Now he will get that chance. He tried to get them to sign Randy back when he was in Green Bay, but because they failed, part of the rumours was he was pissed off at the front office for not trying. Moss signed a one-year deal with the Pats initially, but after that was done, he went back because he said he felt obligated to help finish what he started.

Now Moss and Favre can play on the same team, but in Minnesota and Moss can probably retire as a Viking. As for how the fans will treat him, I think they will welcome him personally.

Now as for Moss, he'll be playing 17 games this year because he hasn't been on bye yet and his new team just came off a bye.

cctekguy

Staff member
I agree Phic.

New England is rebuilding right before our very eyes and winning games as they do it.

8 pics in the 1st 4 rounds next year should about finish the process.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
What Moss has done this season is take the double coverage off of the other Patriot receivers. Expect those doubles to move to Welker unless Tate can step up in a big way. Now you can look for Harvin to be another version of Welker with the upside to be even better than Welker.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
(KFFL) Updating a previous report, the New England Patriots traded a 2012 seventh-round draft choice to the Minnesota Vikings as part of the deal that sent WR Randy Moss to the Vikings, sources told Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Remote Controller

If you don't realize what Moss means to your offensive scheme then I don't know what to say to you. He IS the reason Welker runs wild underneathe. Welker will still get those catches, but he is also going to get tagged quicker and harder by more defenders now, as there will be a few more guys in his zip code. The biggest effect might be felt by the very mediocre running game, as Randy made their lives much easier. Brady will make this work, and be fine, it just won't be as easy. ADP is doing cartwheels, and that is going to be the biggest bonus for the Vikes. Their game is gonna go wide open now, and there is gonna be plenty of room for Harvins, ADP, and Shiancoe. Harvins is gonna be unbelievable, and ADP already is. Give it a few weeks.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
If you don't realize what Moss means to your offensive scheme then I don't know what to say to you. He IS the reason Welker runs wild underneathe. Welker will still get those catches, but he is also going to get tagged quicker and harder by more defenders now, as there will be a few more guys in his zip code. The biggest effect might be felt by the very mediocre running game, as Randy made their lives much easier. Brady will make this work, and be fine, it just won't be as easy. ADP is doing cartwheels, and that is going to be the biggest bonus for the Vikes. Their game is gonna go wide open now, and there is gonna be plenty of room for Harvins, ADP, and Shiancoe. Harvins is gonna be unbelievable, and ADP already is. Give it a few weeks.
Okay, I won't deny the fact that most defenses respected Randy, and covered accordingly.

But seriously...do any of you really think they didn't target Welker as well? Really? Oh, I am DC, and I will just let Welker go...and make sure Randy doesn't beat me. NO FRIGGEN WAY. The man was a 100 rec. Wr. Not milk toast.

It is why I don't see a big change for Welker, neither gain or loss. No, to me the big winner isn't Tate, who will gain. Its Hernandez and Gronk. They will get alot more targets now.

I am also not sold that Harvin will be all that more either. Got to make Randy happy. And AP.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Shiancoe will lose red zone targets thus his fantasy value should fall. Teams were starting to double on Welker on occasion but not often at all. Welker will still get the underneath throws but his path to the endzone will now be blocked where it was wide open in the past.