Texans DROY LB Cushing Gets 4 Game Suspension.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,

Brian Cushing reportedly passed a lie detector test to prove he did not take a performance-enhancing drug, but was still suspended by the NFL.

This may help Cushing's chances of keeping his Defensive Rookie of the Year award, even if he's not going to get back the first four games and game checks for the 2010 season. Cushing will be eligible to participate in training camp. He must stay away from regular season practices until Week 5.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Associated Press announced Monday that it will conduct a re-vote for the 2009 Defensive Player of the Year award, citing previous winner Brian Cushing's violation of the NFL's policy on PEDs.

Cushing is eligible in the re-vote, but he's not likely to win. His All-Pro status is also in danger of being stripped, as the AP will re-vote for one of its outside linebacker positions. Though Jairus Byrd finished second in Defensive ROY voting in the winter, we're betting third-place finisher Clay Matthews would edge him out considering Green Bay's finish to the season. Brian Orakpo, who had 11 sacks to Matthews' 10, may also be a serious contender.
Source: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

JackG1980

I want to believe him when he says he didnt take steroids. There is a lot of stuff out there that is ban by the NFL and is not that bad. If its true that he didnt take steriods he will still be a monster when he comes back.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Something isn't right here.

why this long?

If this was a clear violation of steroids, or masking agent...then the ban hammer would have been dropped immediately. The fact that it was appealed right away, and not decided until now.....makes me think this may be linked to the star caps situation...which just got judicated.

So I am not positive it was "steroids" either.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
One thing for sure is that this story has legs. Yesterday there was a new angle to it everytime I went searching.

JackG1980

if he passed a lie detector test i would have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Many different things could of happened. He could of been sabotaged or setup. He could of took a combination of legal enhancers to cause a failed test. The lab could of made of a mistake. He could of had bad advice from his trainer and someone was lie to about the contents of something. Many things could of happened. I wanna know what Cushing thinks what happened. Unless he is a double agent and knows how to pass lie detector test. LOL

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,

Suspended LB Brian Cushing's positive test last September was reportedly for abnormally elevated levels of "hCG" -- a non-steroidal substance produced naturally by the body.

The catch is, it's also a popular combo agent during anabolic steroid cycling, and the same thing Manny Ramirez was suspended for in 2009. When injected, hCG can restore testicular size (which is affected by steroids), in addition to produce testosterone. Cushing may not have tested positive for 'roids, but it's pretty clear something isn't right. As SI's Ross Tucker noted Monday, many players use PEDs during the offseason, when their chances of being tested are down. They then maintain the gains during the season.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

TexanGrrl

Wonder Woman
9A ET<br>More Details in the Brian Cushing Case<br>New Shade of Orange for Orange Bowl?<br>Jason Heyward Close to Returning - SportsCenter.com

That follow up blurb by Adam Schefter explains that the levels of hCG were so low that last year it wouldn't have been an issue.

I just don't get how the kid is clean leading up to and after this, but doesn't get suspended during 2009. The NFL didn't hand down a judgment until February. That's when Cushing appealed. The appeal was ruled again last Friday. WTF took so long?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
You beat me Nikki!

Texans SLB Brian Cushing has retained his Defensive Rookie of the Year award after a re-vote by 50 voters for the Associated Press.

Source: Houston Chronicle on Twitter

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,

Though he retained his Rookie of the Year Award, the AP stripped Brian Cushing of his second-team All-Pro status for 2009.

This makes sense. Not. In January, the AP gave Cushing five first-place votes for All-Pro to rank second among all outside linebackers. Upon re-vote, he got just one. It's unclear who will replace him on the All-Pro roster.
Source: houstontexans.com

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,

One NFL GM tells Thomas George of AOL Fanhouse that suspended LB Brian Cushing's steroids use dates back to high school.

"We did our research on him before the draft last year and we concluded he was a chronic steroid user dating back to high school," said the unnamed general manager. "More than a few people were surprised when he passed the steroid tests at the Combine. I think the guy became a pro at masking it, until he was caught. I definitely would have taken my vote back on (the Defensive Rookie of the Year) award if I had one."
Source: AOL NFL Fanhouse

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
After a review from commissioner Roger Goodell, the NFL has decided to uphold Brian Cushing's four-game suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy.

The appeal was always a long shot. Texans owner Bob McNair presented additional medical information, but Goodell wasn't buying "overtrained athlete syndrome." It probably didn't help that Cushing has been linked to steroids since high school. The Texans need rookie Darryl Sharpton to step up over the first four weeks.
Source: Nick Scurfield on Twitter

mills

How come he wont give Cushing a lighter sentience but he will give one to Raplelisburger...

TexanGrrl

Wonder Woman
Wow, this does send a very mixed message to the players and the fans. It's ok for Big Ben to go out flashing is little ben to everyone and force himself on women, it's ok for Rey Maualuga to be an alcoholic...

But it's not ok to pop once for hCG which is not even a freaking STEROID.

Whatever....