Texans DROY LB Cushing Gets 4 Game Suspension.

Coachnorm

NFL suspended Texans SLB Brian Cushing four games for violating the league's steroids policy. Analysis: Cushing will sit against Indianapolis, Washington, Dallas, and Oakland. To compensate, the Texans figure to move weak-side starter Zach Diles to "SAM" for the first month of the season, with Xavier Adibi joining the lineup. Houston's run defense is likely to take a hit. Cushing was the Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2009, helping the Texans to field the NFL's No. 13 overall defense.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Rumors of this were rampant leading up to last year's draft.. how can this be shocking to anyone?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Now the question for you all is should he be stipped of his Defensive Rookie of the Year award for cheating?

Coachnorm

The Ravens drafted a rookie LB named Kindle who predicted on draft day that he would be this years Defensive Rookie of The Year. He backed off that prediction today.

Maybe he ditched his roids after seeing Chushing get caught?? :grin:

TexanGrrl

Wonder Woman
The whole concept of Cushings being completely clean is a dream. This is a kid who has dedicated his entire life to football. When you do that, you find any and every way to take advantage on or off the field. There are video articles of Cushings showing one of the local reporters his hyperbolic chamber at home. This guy suffered through several injuries last season and kept playing.

Hell, we don't even know (and probably never will) what substance it was. Most are leaning towards anabolic steroids, though I would give the kid more credit than that. LOL

Do I think his DROY award should be taken away? If he wants to man up... he can turn over the award. Do I think it will matter? Not really. I think this kid comes out this year and still kicks ass next to Demeco Ryans.

JackG1980

Dont they test for roids throughout the season? He should give up the DROY award but it shouldnt be taken away. Unless they could prove he was on roids when he was playing.

TexanGrrl

Wonder Woman
Because of the disclosure rules involved with the drug testing policy... the general public should never know the truth. I'll allow Cushings one "I believe you kid."

However, there are combinations of supplements that can create the effects of roid such as Creatine and L-Glutamine. He needs to be smarter about what he's taking to keep healthy.

Also, yes, they do test throughout the season. From all the past publicity, I think it's generally a 3 month turn around on the appeals process. So, If he appealed his case in February... it could be November or December that he was popped on the wiz-Quiz. That's about the time he was really banged up and kept playing.

From Rotoworld.com Feb 6th. 2010
Texans SLB Brian Cushing is a candidate for minor knee surgery this offseason.
A decision will be made in the next couple of weeks. Cushing played through multiple knee injuries, rib fractures, a broken hand, and a broken pinkie in his award-winning rookie season. If he has the surgery, Cushing should still be fine for OTAs.
Source: ESPN.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
The Ravens drafted a rookie LB named Kindle who predicted on draft day that he would be this years Defensive Rookie of The Year. He backed off that prediction today.

Maybe he ditched his roids after seeing Chushing get caught?? :grin:

Negative. Kindle is clean in that aspect. His vice was beer.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,

Suspended LB Brian Cushing flunked his drug test in September of last season.

This means that Cushing played virtually the entire season knowing that he'd eventually be suspended for four games once he lost his appeal. It raises an even stronger argument for Cushing being stripped of his Rookie of the Year award. Bills S Jairus Byrd finished second in the voting.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,

According to Associated Press advisor Dave Goldberg, the AP may hold a re-vote for the 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Goldberg is also a Rookie of the Year voter. A decision isn't expected for a few days "at least," but Brian Cushing is in danger of being stripped of his award after testing positive for a banned substance last September. Cushing insists that it wasn't steroids. The linebacker wouldn't just lose the trophy, he'd also lose incentives based on rookie-year accomplishments.
Source: Dave Goldberg on Twitter