State of the NFL

efactor

Coming at you
This comment took me by surprise...not saying what you are seeing is not true...but I can say that around here that is just not the case. I see that comment in regards to baseball...kids just don't seem to care or watch...but not football. I see kids watching...playing...and wearing team gear everywhere during football season....both NFL and CFB. This is the first I have heard someone say the NFL has a youth issue...the sport does have a growing players wanting to play issue due to head injury awareness...but seems like the passion is still there from young fans.

Just speaking on what I see with my 5 grandkids (4 of them inherited when I got married 3 years ago :cool:) and their friends, kids of my friends and friends of my kids and step sons. Pretty much zero interest in pro football or youth football. They play soccer, basketball, wrestling, baseball, swimming. They show some interest in MLB and NBA, but not football.

Different in the Midwest I guess.

Rocket

Rock the Rocket
I love this drama about powerful people who don’t know shit about what their customers want.

The NFL is suffering and there’s no help in sight. Players are telling Goodell when to jump, and Jerry Jones is nudging ever so closer to the edge.

Players are SJW dressed in football unis. So sad. Do your job. Your paycheck is declining because you guys don’t think long term.

Talk about paycheck, NFL will be morphed into something strange because ESPN may not be able to afford MNF soon.

About playing football, my kid play baseball and basketball and soccer, but now wants back into football. But as a whole, flag football is played by more than 60-70% minority groups (mainly blacks and Hispanics)...just my worldview. I live in the white neighborhood and no parents talk about playing football.

I live in California in the heart of Niner country, and everyone is a fan of Super Bowl Montana and Rice, but not that many play. The pipeline of future football players is definitely in question.

Surprising, one dad who played rugby and has a son who plays rugby and a younger son who’s on my sons baseball team. I asked him about the young son playing pee wee football. His answer, “no way... rugby players know how to tackle. Helmet players do not.”

State of American football in a nutshell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Come down to Texas on a Friday night where a town of 1200 will have 4000 in the stands. Louisiana much the same. Football may well have died on the left coast, like everything else but insanity which seems to be prospering nicely, but it is alive and well down south.

efactor

Coming at you
Come down to Texas on a Friday night where a town of 1200 will have 4000 in the stands. Louisiana much the same. Football may well have died on the left coast, like everything else but insanity which seems to be prospering nicely, but it is alive and well down south.

Because they have nothing else to do. Well, except complain about the heat and the dust...................

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Just speaking on what I see with my 5 grandkids (4 of them inherited when I got married 3 years ago :cool:) and their friends, kids of my friends and friends of my kids and step sons. Pretty much zero interest in pro football or youth football. They play soccer, basketball, wrestling, baseball, swimming. They show some interest in MLB and NBA, but not football.

Different in the Midwest I guess.
I can see that there could be some regional tendencies to this....but yeah I think you get into the heartland and the South and it is still alive and well.

efactor

Coming at you
A sign that a football diehard is losing interest. Turned off the Raiders/Dolphins game about 5 plays into the 2nd half. Could no longer stand watching penalty flags fly every third play or so. Just slows the game down to a crawl. Add in players getting dinged every 4th play or so and instead of jogging to the sidelines, they stay down on field, stopping the game. Just a horrible product right now. Plus, the pushing, shoving and barking on virtualy every play. Sheesh.

I literally told myself there has to be a better use of my time. I thought of 3 immediately and turned the game off. Don't plan on watching the game tonight either. Never thought it would reach this point with me but it has.

Remote Controller

I keep track somewhat on my tablet.
The flags are one thing..........It's completely another when they NFL says Kiko Alonso did nothing wrong but still fine him $9,100??????

efactor

Coming at you
I keep track somewhat on my tablet.
The flags are one thing..........It's completely another when they NFL says Kiko Alonso did nothing wrong but still fine him $9,100??????

Yeah, that made zero sense. They HAD to fine him something because the penalty was called? Wrongly. WTF?

There was a penalty called last night for illegal formation that wiped out a pretty nice gain. OT was about 3 inches back from the other lineman. Give me a focking break. Are they looking for more ways to slow the game down.

KillerFins

Staff member
He was farther back than 3 inches, and all the holding calls were obvious IMO. The O-line lost the game for them, hard to convert first downs when you are going backwards.

cctekguy

Staff member
Just another BS call that doesn't impact the play and slows the game to a crawl.

It also tips the defense off to a passing play.

If the coach doesn't care that players are signaling the other team, why should the NFL care?

efactor

Coming at you
It also tips the defense off to a passing play.

If the coach doesn't care that players are signaling the other team, why should the NFL care?

Yeah. Penalties that don't impact the play are a pet peeve of mine. See it a lot. Some of it is certainly stupidity on the part of the players, such as not lining up exactly on the LOS or pushing someone 20 yards behind the play, but refs should use some common sense too. I hate seeing a big play cancelled out on a petty call that has no impact on the play.

KillerFins

Staff member
No, he was at least a half of foot off the line, giving him an advantage to set up. If it's a penalty, then it's a penalty. A lot of times they give warnings if it's close. Also I think they could have called Suh a bunch of times for being in the neutral zone, but they didn't.

I get it, so many penalties does make it hard to watch sometimes, and sometimes it is the refs being over zealous, but I don't think that was the case in that game.

Rocket

Rock the Rocket
A sign that a football...

I literally told myself there has to be a better use of my time. I thought of 3 immediately and turned the game off.
I know how to compartmentalize. I don’t like protest, but still watch the game.

The day I stop watching is the day I quit FF altogether. I can go into weekly betting on games, but then I have to watch the games again ... ugh.

So for now, I watch for good games in CFB, but at the end of the day, everyone is corrupt (read: NCAA basketball) and only looking out for themselves.

Hollywood scandals, academia ineptitude, NFL buffooning, and ESPN ludicrous jump into politics. And media advocacy makes the whole world a piece of crap.

I want to keep my sanity, and FF is my fix. Oh, and coaching 3rd grade basketball! Woohoo, tryouts are today!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk