Sports Outlaw Mount Rushmore Series - RB's

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
OK, let's continue this to the RB'S, again, no set criteria, how you select the 4 is up to you. Let's carve a MR of the greatest runners of all time.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
OJ Simpson
Gale Sayers

There's too many great RB's in the history of the NFL but there's four that you couldn't go wrong with.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
For me the top 3 are easy....
Barry Sanders
Jim Brown
Walter Peyton

The 4th was a little difficult, but in the end, going with a personal favorite:
LaDainian Tomlinson

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I have to agree with
Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton.

The fourth I need to think on a bit more....

cctekguy

Staff member
Wait Phicin...

According to your own rules, you should not include Brown in your choices.

He never rushed for 2000yds.

He only has 12,000 career rushing yards while Emmitt Smith has over 18,000, and his 106 TDs falls WAY short of Smith's 164.

We need to draw a line.....;)

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Wait Phicin...

According to your own rules, you should not include Brown in your choices.

He never rushed for 2000yds.

He only has 12,000 career rushing yards while Emmitt Smith has over 18,000, and his 106 TDs falls WAY short of Smith's 164.

We need to draw a line.....;)
Where did I say that? OH, you are comparing what I have said at QB vs. Rb, isn't that silly of you.

No one can deny what Brown was or did in that time period. Unitas was a great QB, but not special, and has no stats comparable to what is being done today. To me it is not a legitimate argument.

Phicinfan

Administrator
You ever going to pick a 4th ;)
Honestly, if not for the injuries the last two years, I was almost ready to put AP up there.

I am torn, Emmit is a great choice, but I want to lean instead to Curtis Martin. So I guess #4 for me is Martin.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
U just like being different don't ya ;)

This is in no way a knock on Martin....but one of the best 4 backs of all time ???

He was a poor man's Emmitt Smith, so IMO if you go that route, you go with Emmitt......just my .02

Honestly, if not for the injuries the last two years, I was almost ready to put AP up there.

I am torn, Emmit is a great choice, but I want to lean instead to Curtis Martin. So I guess #4 for me is Martin.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Need some more Mount's Outlaws!

At this point Walter, Barry and Brown look to be locks with Emmitt in control of the 4 spot. After that there are a lot of names with 1........

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
But if you're going to enforce a morality rule about crimes after careers you must kick Jim Brown off of your mountain as well. He became a woman beater.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
But if you're going to enforce a morality rule about crimes after careers you must kick Jim Brown off of your mountain as well. He became a woman beater.
Far cry from a killer......they don't have to be a saint, but double murder and I am looking elsewhere for my Mt. Running Men......too many talented runners in the history if the NFL to give him any more acknowledgement than he has already had

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
So beating multiple women is okay but being found innocent of murder is not? Strange criteria that you have for your mountain Miller, not as strange as baseball and their HOF but strange non-the-less. Tugging your chain here a little bit but truthfully now I'd say if OJ isn't eligible then Brown shouldn't be either. I can't condone beating women though I still maintain that what happened after their careers has no baring what so ever on how great of a RB they were.