Sports Outlaw Mount Rushmore Series - RB's

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not condoning beating women at all.....but you are seriously not camparing domestic abuse and murder are you?

You can't condone beating women, but killing one......hell, that's ok ;)

OJ is a murderer.....a bought and paid for acquittal doesn't change that.......and not someone I would want to represent the best runners of all time....just me

But even typing his name give him more recognition than he deserves so I am done talking about him.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
1.Sanders
2.J Brown
3.Payton

I need to think about my 4th but E Smith will not be there. I believe that I could of had a decent career behind the O-Line he had....

4.Earl Campbell - loved to watch that man make LB's look like little boys

JScott

Administrator
I need to think about my 4th but E Smith will not be there. I believe that I could of had a decent career behind the O-Line he had....

I've often made this argument but then in this Mt Rushmore series how do you pick and choose which supporting cast (or lack of) helped make a player great? Detroit's O-line was awful, and that highlighted how good Barry was. The Cowboys O-line was HOF caliber, so if it diminishes Emmitt's accomplishments does it also do the same to Aikman? For me it's too hard to separate the impact of the supporting cast so voting on the overall picture.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I've often made this argument but then in this Mt Rushmore series how do you pick and choose which supporting cast (or lack of) helped make a player great? Detroit's O-line was awful, and that highlighted how good Barry was. The Cowboys O-line was HOF caliber, so if it diminishes Emmitt's accomplishments does it also do the same to Aikman? For me it's too hard to separate the impact of the supporting cast so voting on the overall picture.
I for one think it weighs some on my mind, it is why I chose Martin instead of Emmit.

To me Martin had less around him, he was to focus of the offense and they still didn't stop him, same criteria for me with Walter Payton and Barry Sanders and Jim Brown. Emmit was a great back, don't get me wrong, Dorsett was also a great Dallas back. But with the wrs and Tes and Qbs they had, they had some protection.

I want to throw in on the debate on who is elligible due to crime. I am with Mud, if you throw out OJ due to "murder" which he was never convicted for, nor has it been totally proven he was guilty, but he probably was. Then I agree brown has to be kicked out as well.

However, I was not using off field for my litmus test. OJ was a great back, but to me the other 4 I chose were much, much better.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I just chose to completely ignore OJ.......if I didn't, he still doesn't make it......boarder line top 10 for me, not top 4.

My mount, I can ignore who I chose ;)

As far as supporting cast argument goes.......no love for LT?

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
OJ Simpson
Gale Sayers

There's too many great RB's in the history of the NFL but there's four that you couldn't go wrong with.

You are spot on here! As much as I hate to do it I just can't put Barry Sanders up above any of those 4 and I really love Barry Sanders.

FYI - IMHO there was not a better 3yr stretch of RB dominance than Earl Campbell

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
My 3-5 choices included the Tyler Rose but in the end I went with OJ and Gale leaving Earl on the sidelines with his nasty asp smoked sausage.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
My 3-5 choices included the Tyler Rose but in the end I went with OJ and Gale leaving Earl on the sidelines with his nasty asp smoked sausage.

From 1979-181 he was king of the hill. Just look up his # of carries and average ypc over that span. It's no wonder the dude can barely walk now.