Rate Your Teams Draft/Offseason.

Coachnorm

Ok, Let's hear it, Rate your teams Draft with explanations would be nice. Give them a grade for the draft and the offseason moves also if you wish. Maybe they had an A draft and a C off-season. A/C

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
The Raiders get an A+ from me for addressing and drafting much needed run stopping power with 1.08 pick LB Rolando McClain and 2nd rounder DT Lamarr Houston.

The 4th round picks of OT Bruce Campbell which will give the OL a boost and WR Jacoby Ford.

Getting QB Jason Campbell (although not a huge fan) was a good move on the cheap and will for sure finally send J.Russell to the NFL scrap yard.

Overall i couldn't be happier with this years draft, thanks to Al Davis for doing the right thing, drafting team needs.

cctekguy

Staff member
:chiefssuck: C+/B-

I'll let Mud have the Saints and I'll carry the torch for KC.

Like the Raiders, the Chiefs had more needs than they had draft picks. Berry in the first round could pay dividends but I thought they should have gone with Okung.

McCluster was a wasted pick in the second. No where on their "needs" list did RB appear. Should have taken Misi or Troup or even Kindle.

Another round 2 pick and again they miss the mark. Not that they didn't need secondary help and I like Arenas alot but you don't rebuild from the outside in, you rebuild from the inside out.

Round 3 they finally get an OL but Asamoah is a guard. Their priority should have been left tackle.

Another round 3 pick and another "kiss your sister" pick. TE Tony Moeaki. Not a bad player by any stretch but why go after a blocking TE when you already have 2 and are in desperate need of blocking linemen?

Some much needed defensive help in round 5 with FS Kendrick Lewis and DE Cameron Scheffield.

It wouldn't have been that bad a draft if they had taken a tackle in rnd 2 instead of a Sproles type RB.

Miscreants

I'm pleased, but not blown-away by the Vikings' draft.

The team I'm most intrigued by is the Seahawks, given what they did with the trades during the draft. I'm guessing it has immediate impact for them. Perhaps more so than any actual draftee.

bobbeaux

i think the texans did fairly well and even traded down for more picks . . . but, i think they could have done better especially in anticipating what quality of player at each position would be available at each draft pick . . . that being said, the way they drafted says a lot about the direction the team is heading and the confidence they have in the players already on roster.

1. cb kareem jackson - fills a need with a safe player that quite possibly could be moved around . . . others saw wilson here or maybe even a dt . . . likely starter at cb . . . A-
2. rb ben tate - fills a need with a good compliment to slaton, but drafting rb before the 3rd worries me about slaton's health . . . the texans moved up to get tate after moving down and seeing gerhart get drafted . . . A+ for position/B on how they did it.
3. dt earl mitchell - fills a need as depth/rotation . . . leads me to believe they are happy with their starters . . . C
4a. lb daryl sharpton - solid depth at mlb and competition at weakside . . . B
4b. te garrett graham - very solid te at a position that appears lacking in need for the texans . . . nobody really stepped up after daniels went down last year and his status is still in limbo . . . 2 other hurt te's on roster . . . A
5, 6, 6 and 7 - cb sherrick mc manis, ol shelly smith, wr trinidon holiday, te dorrin dickeson - depth, special teams or practice squad . . . the movements down by the texans gave them much more depth, but the quality of some of these picks remains to be seen . . . fa has been rather calm for the texans up until now although they appear to have a few holes or at least some positions they could improve upon . . . Draft B / Offseason C (at this point).

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I give the Seahawks an A-.

Not sure about Charlie Whitehurst, but I am pretty happy about everything else. The Seahawks were able to cheaply address most of their needs by being patient. They really needed help at LT & S, and lucked out in the 1st round with studs falling to them at both picks. After trading down in the 2nd round for Whitehurst, they still had the offensive play maker they were looking for fall to them in the late 2nd round. Later they addressed the major need at a RB by cheaply acquiring two risky, but high ceiling veteran NFL RBs. On top of that, in the late rounds they drafted many high reward guys who are coming off injury or off the field situations that hurt their draft stock. Those picks can be busts or big payoffs, and I am willing to risk losing some ST and practice squad players trying to hit that extra base hit at the draft.

Great first draft by the new regime.

efactor

Coming at you
Gotta give my Niners an A!

Love the Davis and Iupati picks. The addressed the weak link on their team and if these two work out, it's now a strength. I think it's the rare situation where both step in and start immediately. Also liked the fact that they were aggressive and traded up to make sure they got their guy in Davis. RT was their biggest need and since there were other teams looking to go OT and they felt Buloga was a step down, a 4th rounder wasn't a big price to pay.

Getting Mays in the 2nd fills a big need. Lewis is a solid vet, but lacks the physical skills. Despite the rhetoric, I think he steps in to start immediately. Watching his introduction to the SF media, he seems like a smart, well spoken kid who has an understanding of what is expected of him and knows the history of another great USC saftely who became a HOFer in SF. He wants to follow in Lotts shoes. Big shoes, but strive high. I like the Bowman pick as well. Will take over for Spikes when the time comes,adds depth and can play special teams. Plus, they got their 4th back (next year) by moving down and still got their guy (according to Singletary anyway).

No 4th or 5th rounder, but consider Ginn their 5th rounder. I'll take him over what they could have gotten at that spot.

Always hard to tell about the bottom of the draft. They seem excited about Dixon. My only concern is that he is similar to Gore and Coffee. It would be nice to add a Sproles type of player who can break a long play.

Would have liked them to add an impact CB, but guess you can't have everything.

Very excited about 2010. :dancingpa

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Philadelphia -
Key losses - McNabb QB, Westerbrook Rb, Andrews OT

Overall, I like the way Philly works. They made multiple trades to move up, down and even gain picks for next year. They had alot to work with, and they did so.

1st round - Brandon Graham - OLB/DE Michigan. This was who they had rated as highest at DE. He is in the trent Cole mode of high speed, high motor quick around the edge. That will be the base plan for him this year, to be opposit Cole. I thought there was better available, but if they wanted him that bad...they are know more than I do.

2nd round - Nate Allen S South Florida - love this pick as it addresses a key need. S has been a hindrance for Philly since they lost Dawkins. Some felt they got Marlin Jackson to convert to S, and they may well do that. But depth and quality at S has been an issue.

the 3rd round pick baffles me. Te'o - Nesheim is another undersized high effort high motor type De. But I think this was a reach, especially after grabbing Graham in the 1st. Unless the plan is to play Graham at OLB, and use this guy for depth at De. Wait and see, but still I don't like the pick much.

4th round -
Trevard Lindley Cb Kentucky - needed depth here, and this kid plays with confidence. however he has issues with keeping healthy, and not great speed. He also is not a great tackler....per reports. Still, as a slot, fill in Cb...could be okay.

Keenan Clayton OLB need for depth at LB is a must

Michael Kafka Qb Northwester - this one intrigues me. They obviously need Qb depth with loss of McNabb. This one feels like a Kolb clone in that he is mobile in the pocket, but a more accurate passer. Good developmental target. But felt there were better options out there.

Clay Harbor Te Missouri State - yes we have Celek, but Ingram is a mystery with his injuries and the other Te is Rucker who is strictly a blocker. So depth for recieving Te is a must. He is a solid receiver, but kind of smallish.

5th round

Ricky Sapp De Clemson - once again another smallish De. Another high motor guy...seems like alot of effort and time put in here...wonder if more cuts are coming.

Riley Cooper Wr Florida - Big tall possession type reciever. Will be a great middle of field/Red zone target ala Avant. Will need to develop, and has issues getting sepperation though.

6th round - Charles Scott Rb LSU No real speed murchant, but could be used for short yardage and tough yardage situaions. Needed some depth here.

7th round
Jamar Chaney ILB Missippi State
Jeffrey Owens DT Georgia
Kurt Coleman S Ohio State

All depth moves here

Overall, I would give Philly a C+ to B-. They spent a huge amount on the DL, which is a good thing..but on alot of reaches or risks. If one or two pan out then they did better. Love Allen at S.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I give the Lions an A+! Love Suh and Best! Good moves in the offseason. Can't wait to win more than 2 games this year!

mills

Panthers get a B-

Clausen was an obvious steal at 48... A+

LaFell should pan out and take some pressure off of Steve Smith, hopefully he isn't a bust like Jarrett... B

Edwards??? Not sure about this. They reached for no real reason... They could have traded for gin with a 4th round pick, instead they trade next seasons 2nd for this guy. C-

Norwood should be alright, he's not exciting, but he will get the job done in certain situations. B

Hardy was once explosive and an obvious first rounder... instead the Panthers get him in the 6th. Perhaps he gets back to form and he because a 6th round steal. C

Pike I consider a steal in the 6th, projected to be the 4th best QB the Panthers get more depth at QB and another contender for the starting position. B