NFL Draft 2016 pick #2 - Philadelphia via trade with Cleveland

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, new HC, new GM, new staff....means you need new Qb yes?

Actually yes.

But....................................

You have some interesting dynamics in Cleveland.
1) you have two Qbs, that could start for now - in McCown and RGIII. Yes, you heard me, RGIII could start now.
2) You have little to no talent at Wr - Hawkins, Hartline and Gabriel, with Barnidge at Te.
3) You lost key pieces to your O-line in FA

So you have to ask yourself, do you really want to spend your #1 pick, a must play pick on a Qb that has no hope of success with no tools to work with?

I see 5 qbs that have a shot at doing anything in this draft. They are Wentz, Goff, Paxton, Cook and you could argue the 5th is Prescott or Hackenberg.

Could you instead go Cb or OT OR trade down, and get more picks and with the first pick in round 2 take your future Qb that can develop behind the two you have?

Nope, that makes too much sense.

So my expectations are that Wentz goes there to Cleveland.

Thoughts?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Yeah the Browns have McCown and RGIII and the drafted Johnny. We are talking about the Browns so of course they will screw up and draft a QB with the 2nd pick.

bodey24

Staff member
If they were smart they would trade back acquire more picks and build that way. They have so many holes to fill. Get the picks, fill some of the holes and then draft Watson next year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
If they were smart they would trade back acquire more picks and build that way. They have so many holes to fill. Get the picks, fill some of the holes and then draft Watson next year.
only issue with that is someone to trade with. By all reports, no one is really trying to do that

JScott

Administrator
PHI was talking with TEN about trading up to 1. Obviously for a QB. But now that STL is there, PHI can't risk making a pre-draft trade with CLE until they know who STL takes. So there may be a conditional draft day trade for some team to move up IF the Rams don't take their guy.

Phicinfan

Administrator
PHI was talking with TEN about trading up to 1. Obviously for a QB. But now that STL is there, PHI can't risk making a pre-draft trade with CLE until they know who STL takes. So there may be a conditional draft day trade for some team to move up IF the Rams don't take their guy.
I have heard rumors that Philly has talked to Cleveland, but I don't think they really want a Qb that bad. I could be wrong.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I have heard rumors that Philly has talked to Cleveland, but I don't think they really want a Qb that bad. I could be wrong.
You know, CB is a real need for Philly...wouldn't it be interesting if they were really talking to Cle for Ramsey and not the Qb.......???

efactor

Coming at you
They need impact players so they can't trade back too far. I don't think anything outside of the 8th spot.

They got a haul in the Julio deal and got absolutely nothing out of those picks.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Hmmm....Schefftie at ESPN is now saying Browns are talking trade down, philly is one partner but a few teams are talking.

I really don't want to see Philly sell the farm for one Qb, not with the money they already have tied up....Yikes

Phicinfan

Administrator
OMG they gave up #8 this year, #77 this year, 100th this year, plus 1st rounder in 2017 AND 2nd rounder in 2018....

what a friggen mess. I may just become a Cowboys fan now....sigh....

They better hit on this or the clearing house will be even worse after this move.

ExperiencedRookie

It's not often that anyone says "good job Cleveland", but this is that case.

The timing was perfect. The Rams had already set the table for the value to jump to the top of the draft for a QB. They weren't going to move that pick again, so nowCleveland held all the cards for the 2nd QB off the board, and they find the right panicked trade partner.

Maybe they've learned their lesson about trying to draft their franchise QB in the first round, while having no players in place around him to help him succeed.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I wonder if Philly tried to work Bradford into the trade at any point
Honestly no. To be clear, Philly has said all along that Bradford is the starter this year, and Daniels is the #2, as for next year, we see how the Qb develops that they draft. They need Bradford, as I don't think they think Daniels is a starter. He is there cause he knows the system that Pederson will run.