Kronke announces plans for stadium in LA

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
In a move that isn't totally a surprise, Kronke announces that he has plans to build a new NFL stadium in LA. Using land he acquired earlier and a deal with the Stockbridge Capital Group near the old Hollywood Park race track.

Not sure this means a definite move for the Rams, but this is a clear nudge to St. Louis they have to pony up soon.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFL has officially responded on this - there message - No moves in 2015, and process has to be followed to move in 2016. Takes 3/4 vote of owners to allow a move. So denialability for NFL

ExperiencedRookie

NFL has officially responded on this - there message - No moves in 2015, and process has to be followed to move in 2016. Takes 3/4 vote of owners to allow a move. So denialability for NFL
This is a shame. The Midwest is already the hardest place to live as a sports fan, and now they want to move another franchise to the coast.

Take the Jaguars out there for crying out loud. Florida has 2 other pro football teams to entertain them.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
This is a shame. The Midwest is already the hardest place to live as a sports fan, and now they want to move another franchise to the coast.

Take the Jaguars out there for crying out loud. Florida has 2 other pro football teams to entertain them.
Jaguars??? No thanks.. The rams belong here. It just makes too much sense.

cctekguy

Staff member
I don't disagree at all...AT ALL!

...but

I was a true blue Los Angeles Rams fan as a child and have never been comfortable calling them the St. Louis Rams.

It's just a name, but still...

Maybe Jags go to LA and get renamed RAMS and St. Louis renames Rams, Cardinals.

Good Grief....what would we name Arizona? :oops:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Actually, this could be a win/win for the NFL if they played their cards right(no pun intended).

Kroenke builds his stadium and moves his Rams to LA. Meanwhile St. Louis continues to do what it needs to keep him, plays the jilted lover as they did with Cleveland and as they did when the Cardinals moved to Arizona, and then move the Jags to St. Louis once the lease agreement is done for Jags.

Florida can't support all the teams they have, and Jags are paying mightily for it. This also would delay moving a team to England, which I think is a mistake anyways.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Keep the Rams in St. Louis.... Great sports town.

NFL J's done just fine without LA. I do agree on Jacksonville, there are better places for them.... LA would be one.

Bubba

As a Rams season ticket holder, I'm a little pissed that I forked out PSL money 20 years ago that was intended to guarantee me seats for 35 years. Seems like I'm getting screwed out of 15 years of football. Funny how Kroenke can foot most of the bill in LA but can't seem to be able to afford it here in the Lou. Aside from the crappy acoustics in the upper bowl and the need for a new playing surface, there is nothing wrong with the Edward Jones Dome. I understand that he wants to own his own stadium and control all parking and concessions but he should also have to pay for that privilege himself, not with tax payer money. Missourians have already been down that road.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Good luck Bubba. L.A. has had chances to support the NFL before and failed. What's different now other than more Hispanics in the region? Keep the Rams in St. Louis.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Bubba makes a great point though, Kroenke is willing to dish money out for stadium in LA, but not in St. Louis. That to me is an issue, although I would say Market is driving him there, LA is a huge market. I will also add San Diego and Oakland may push back on this move, as they too are looking at the LA market.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Good luck Bubba. L.A. has had chances to support the NFL before and failed. What's different now other than more Hispanics in the region? Keep the Rams in St. Louis.
Interesting point here as well. Fact is though I don't think the NFL can continue to NOT have representation in one if the countries largest market. Yes they have San Fran, Oakland and San Diego already... but LA is HUGE and the market is currently not really tapped.

My question remains though, why would a NEW stadium fix what has failed before? Would it?'

But mark my words, LA will eventually get a team. Either the Rams will move back to LA or Jags will move west.

I also think San Antonio may eventually get a team as well.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw

This is crap.. The Rams were in LA for 50 years and were consistently above the average attendance levels. And that was with the Raiders in town! There were shady forces at work when LA lost football back in 95. Imagine what it would be like now in the 2nd largest market in America.. The Rams in St Louis on the other hand, are consistently below average. This is a no brainer IMO, Rams are coming back and its gonna LA is gonna eat it up. St Louis is a baseball town... Givem the Jags.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
This is crap.. The Rams were in LA for 50 years and were consistently above the average attendance levels. And that was with the Raiders in town! There were shady forces at work when LA lost football back in 95. Imagine what it would be like now in the 2nd largest market in America.. The Rams in St Louis on the other hand, are consistently below average. This is a no brainer IMO, Rams are coming back and its gonna LA is gonna eat it up. St Louis is a baseball town... Givem the Jags.

The history including current says that L.A. only supports a winner. When a team loses there the seats are empty. I'm sure you are right that they'll get another team but it's only because of the market size and has nothing to do with what the area deserves.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
The history including current says that L.A. only supports a winner. When a team loses there the seats are empty. I'm sure you are right that they'll get another team but it's only because of the market size and has nothing to do with what the area deserves.
I'm calling BS.. Again! The Dodgers haven't won since 88' and they've consistently had great attendance. Angels have great attendance now and even before they were a winner, their attendance levels were above average. To say LA is undeserving of a football team is just a tad ignorant IMO. If anything, history is on the side of the Rams coming back.

Remote Controller

LA has sucked at hosting NFL teams since the Rams left. It is right there in black and white for you to see. San Antonio would whole heartedly support a franchise. LA doesn't deserve one........and, if they really wanted one don't you think they'd have had one by now? :headscratcher: