Kronke announces plans for stadium in LA

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
LA has sucked at hosting NFL teams since the Rams left. It is right there in black and white for you to see. San Antonio would whole heartedly support a franchise. LA doesn't deserve one........and, if they really wanted one don't you think they'd have had one by now? :headscratcher:
I'm having trouble understanding the first part if this and how it would even apply to an actual home team in LA. And you make sound so simple at the end there... That's not how things work in the real world.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
The key point being made German, is LA has had two teams. They had the Rams, and they had the Raiders for a while. Both teams left due to lack of local support, and stadium issues.

The other key fact is for the last 5-10 years, they have tried to get a new stadium going, even with help from NFL officials, and still no stadium.

Now as stated by Mud, they will get a franchise eventually. Market is just too big to not be in. Rams have a great shot, due to owner and his land grab.

I would add Oakland is still a candidate, and Jacksonville in a few years as well. But until LA steps up, and actually builds a new stadium, or at least breaks ground. They ain't getting Nadda.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
The key point being made German, is LA has had two teams. They had the Rams, and they had the Raiders for a while. Both teams left due to lack of local support, and stadium issues.

The other key fact is for the last 5-10 years, they have tried to get a new stadium going, even with help from NFL officials, and still no stadium.

Now as stated by Mud, they will get a franchise eventually. Market is just too big to not be in. Rams have a great shot, due to owner and his land grab.

I would add Oakland is still a candidate, and Jacksonville in a few years as well. But until LA steps up, and actually builds a new stadium, or at least breaks ground. They ain't getting Nadda.
Saying they left due to lack of local fan support is incorrect, if that's in fact what ur saying. The fans in LA supported the Rams and its evident from their attendance totals. Move the rams back now and you'll have one of the most successful teams in the NFL. No doubt. The rams in st Louis are a middling franchise at best, San Antonio would just be more of the same.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Saying they left due to lack of local fan support is incorrect, if that's in fact what ur saying. The fans in LA supported the Rams and its evident from their attendance totals. Move the rams back now and you'll have one of the most successful teams in the NFL. No doubt. The rams in st Louis are a middling franchise at best, San Antonio would just be more of the same.
Not according to number shared to and by NFL . Please feel free to show us numbers that differ. I am way open to anything, and could care less if Rams go to LA or stay in St. Louis. I will add St. Louis is no saint here either(pun intended) as they blew it with the Cardinals.

I also think you undersell San Antonio. Look at the gains Cards got going to Arizona....and the fact that Texas is NUTS over football in general.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
The numbers I've seen on a couple sites show the rams to of had an average attendance of around 6,000 over the league average throughout there time in LA. 11 of those season they actually led the league in attendance. Now when the raiders arrived in 82 attendance dropped which is expected but if u combined the raiders and rams attendance at the time, it would have been insanely high. It goes to show that a lot of angelinos love football. Fast forward to now and u still have a ton of fans hungry for an NFL team.. Preferably one with a majority of its history here. Attendance would be thru the roof. San Antonio belongs to the spurs. Football would do OK there.. Nothing close to LA though.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
L.A. is a college town and the evidence shows that. I remember well seeing games from L.A. with thousands and thousands of empty seats. The sites I looked at today with the pretty numbers were all sites that seek to return the NFL to the city. Neutral sites showed a different picture but I'm old enough to remember for myself that USC and UCLA were both capable of outdrawing the pro team. When a team moves to L.A. and again I state that it will happen regardless of whether the city deserves it or not (they don't) someone is going to lose. It may be the NFL team, UC but it's got to have an effect of those already there.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
L.A. is a college town and the evidence shows that. I remember well seeing games from L.A. with moothousands and thousands of empty seats. The sites I looked at today with the pretty numbers were all sites that seek to return the NFL to the city. Neutral sites showed a different picture but I'm old enough to remember for myself that USC and UCLA were both capable of outdrawing the pro team. When a team moves to L.A. and again I state that it will happen regardless of whether the city deserves it or not (they don't) someone is going to lose. It may be the NFL team, UC but it's got to have an effect of those already there.
L.A. loves them some Trojan/bruin football but that has nothing to do with the myth that we can't support an NFL team. Elite college games regularly outdraw nfl games on a weekly basis, all over the country. Doesn't mean squat. Bottom line is attendance figures from raiders/rams games in LA during the 80's/90's support the idea that LA is a great NFL market with a ton of fans.

Phicinfan

Administrator
L.A. loves them some Trojan/bruin football but that has nothing to do with the myth that we can't support an NFL team. Elite college games regularly outdraw nfl games on a weekly basis, all over the country. Doesn't mean squat. Bottom line is attendance figures from raiders/rams games in LA during the 80's/90's support the idea that LA is a great NFL market with a ton of fans.
Baloney. Build a friggen stadium, and THEN I will believe you will support a franchise there. Until then...pfft.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
Baloney. Build a friggen stadium, and THEN I will believe you will support a franchise there. Until then...pfft.
Oh gimme a freakin break.. If it were up to the NFL fans in LA, the stadium would be built. Fans have no direct control over all bureaucracy that goes along with when and where a stadium gets built in this town.

Remote Controller

It would be built if the person with the funds felt it would be filled, and they know it won't. They've had years!!!!!!!!!!!many years to get this done??

Phicinfan

Administrator
Oh gimme a freakin break.. If it were up to the NFL fans in LA, the stadium would be built. Fans have no direct control over all bureaucracy that goes along with when and where a stadium gets built in this town.
Again Baloney. Stadiums get built on Tax dollars, Tax dollars those "fans" don't want to pay. Add to that what RC stated and you get clear proof the NFL does not feel it is sustainable, nor do any of the local gov'ts who don't want to fund it.

You have nothing German, but your own blind faith.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Reports from ESPN and PFT now have St. Louis working directly with the NFL for their new stadium plans, as Kroenke and Rams have gone incommunicado. They can't get any response, and so now are playing catch up with league instead.

This could be a really entertaining story for a while now. Rams are nearing going year to year on lease, so can pull out at any time. Add to that IF St. Louis ponies up and builds a new stadium, NFL will be there to help by getting a new team in there.

Could it finally be a save for the Jags? Or the Bills if they don't get a new stadium?

OR

Could this be the final push to expand again, add two teams and finally move a team to England?

: popcorn:

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
Again Baloney. Stadiums get built on Tax dollars, Tax dollars those "fans" don't want to pay. Add to that what RC stated and you get clear proof the NFL does not feel it is sustainable, nor do any of the local gov'ts who don't want to fund it.

You have nothing German, but your own blind faith.
Numbers dont lie and those numbers clearly point to something beyond "blind faith". You're delusional if u think an NFL team in the 2nd biggest market in america is unsustainable.

JScott

Administrator
The "TV Market" as we knew it is fading. With the internet, satellite TV, etc pretty much anyone anywhere can watch any game. Yes, there are more people in NYC watching NY teams than elsewhere, but that same market now has choices to watch a slew of other games. NY teams aren't the only thing on in NY like it used to be. The NBA is a great example, given the state of FAs that avoid the "Big Market" teams and go to the Mid-Markets. Because they can still be seen by anyone from anywhere. So although I don't disagree with you CTL, I don't think the 2nd biggest market point is viable anymore. LA's been the 2nd biggest market for a while, when it was still a valid measuring tool, and no NFL team was there. Now that this measure is fading imho, it's less of a point to back your argument.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Well, to date you have not SHOWN numbers, but NFL HAS delayed any move to LA. So who exactly is delusional?

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
I can only imagine why a move to LA has been delayed.. Too many billionaires and too much politics. But I'm pretty sure fan attendance/support is the least of their concerns. Some simple math..... Avg NFL season attendance this year was about 67000. Avg yearly attendance between rams/raiders games in LA was about 100k. Even being conservative and saying 2/3 of that number, from decades ago when avg league attendance figures were in the mid 50k range, would attend that puts attendance at the league avg now... at worst. St louis avgs mid 50k's right now, one of the worst in the league. Attendance in LA would not be a problem like it is in stl and TV viewership would only go up IMO.

Last edited: