Is Roger Goodell gonna fine anybody for the knee-hit on Ben!!?!?!!? If not he's ****

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
Is Roger Goodell gonna fine anybody for the knee-hit on Ben!!?!?!!?!? If not he's turned the NFL into **** (let me tell you it rhymes with "hit")

There's no excuse for that and we all know it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Re: Is Roger Goodell gonna fine anybody for the knee-hit on Ben!!?!?!!? If not he's

Didn't see it..what happened?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Re: Is Roger Goodell gonna fine anybody for the knee-hit on Ben!!?!?!!? If not he's

pretty sure it was a low hit on Ben to his knee. I am sure the guy will get a love note from the NFL this week demanding some cash.

DearbornDolfan

*facepalms* Look, we get it, all Steelers fans think there's a Ref conspiracy against their team. Except, well, you guys have won two Super Bowls.

Why did this need its own thread?

JScott

Administrator

Is Roger Goodell gonna fine anybody for the knee-hit on Ben!!?!?!!?!? If not he's turned the NFL into **** (let me tell you it rhymes with "hit")

There's no excuse for that and we all know it.

Actually there is an excuse for it. "The defender was blocked down and fell into the QBs knees." Sound familiar from a few years ago when it happened to Brady. Just be thankful Ben wasn't lost of the season.

ETA: I'm not saying that's what happened today to Ben. Just saying that's an excuse.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator

*facepalms* Look, we get it, all Steelers fans think there's a Ref conspiracy against their team. Except, well, you guys have won two Super Bowls.

b/c he started one....ya know, kinda like you can on any subject you feel like talking about ;)

Coachnorm

pretty sure it was a low hit on Ben to his knee. I am sure the guy will get a love note from the NFL this week demanding some cash.

This weeks fines will probably be announced around mid-week.

Max

..."The defender was blocked down and fell into the QBs knees."...

Damned near happened to Brady again yesterday. Blocked into it is the out the NFL has on any call not made. However, beyond that generic statement of shoulder shrugging, the NFL is a game of speed and brutality. To suggest that a 225+ lbs man that runs a 4.4ish 40 yarder can stop on a dime and diminish all of that kinetic energy is ridiculous.

I do not wish injury upon any NFLer, but...to suggest that a QB should be given license to stand in the pocket until the coffee is brewed takes away from the game. A speed rush RDE or blitzing LB, CB, SS, FS or whatever can not just kill the engine. Go rent a corvette, put the accelerator to the floor for 2 seconds and then slam down the brake. What happens? You tell me how you stop that car in a specific distance while avoiding an object you were intending to hit.

Just sayin'...

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"

The NFL fines Falcons CB Dunta Robinson $40.000 for a helmet to helmet hit on Jeremy.Maclin

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator

The NFL fines Falcons CB Dunta Robinson $40.000 for a helmet to helmet hit on Jeremy.Maclin
I think they should have hit him harder for being a repeat offender. This idiot needs to learn to see what he hits.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator

I agree Miller, 40K was rediculous since he's a multiple offender.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!

Actually there is an excuse for it. "The defender was blocked down and fell into the QBs knees." Sound familiar from a few years ago when it happened to Brady. Just be thankful Ben wasn't lost of the season.

ETA: I'm not saying that's what happened today to Ben. Just saying that's an excuse.

Firstly noone blocked anyone into Ben. It was a spear directly from 5 feet out at his knees after he had delivered the ball. This tactic was recorded the week before in the Baltimore game where offensive linemen's knees while engaged were directly targeted repeatedly by another defensive player not otherwise involved in the play. That indicates to me it's allowed behavior by the league and I think it's unsportmenlike at least and criminal at heart. "Let's cripple the other team's players! Yeah, that's how we'll win this year." Really? YOu are OK with that? I'm not.

This isn't some conspiracy theory against any particular team. Geez, everyone hates the Steelers even being the team mentioned! I mention the Steelers only to say it's the team Ben plays on so it was a logical connection.

No, it is a league-wide problem. When you watch the games YOU watch look for this career-ending strategy being endorsed/tolerated by the league. I am unable to think teams aren't doing this premeditated strategy to other team's players. I just have time to watch my home team; I apologize.

I know you all are unbiased in your responses except the post accusing Steelers fans of not having valid opinions (rightfully so probably) so please realize I just used the above quote for effect, not attack.

P.S. This isn't a vent about the Steelers; it's about the NFL. I thought this is what forums are for; to put a thought or observation out there for conversation and possibly even explanation. I didn't see another thread about knee-cutting so started one. Maybe I should have searched more but who has time for that?

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!

I never mentioned the refs in my post. Where did that come from? I bring up a legitimate problem and you dismiss it as not meriting discussion because it comes from a Steeler fan? Knee-cutting is offensive to me. Maybe you should become a Steeler fan so you get your bearings back on track.

Max

...it is a league-wide problem. When you watch the games YOU watch look for this career-ending strategy being endorsed/tolerated by the league. I am unable to think teams aren't doing this premeditated strategy to other team's players.

Wow!

:eek:mg:

I pray that the players' have more respect for each other as human beings, let alone athletes in an elite league, than to subscribe to injuring each other to win a game. If the management is offering this alternative as a game plan...that is even worse.

While I have little doubt there are situations where a player has intent to injure (Robinson hit this past weekend), I struggle with the thought that the intent to injure exists on every single tackle/hit that appears 'wicked' to us watching.

Max

Okay...you're right...EVERY hit / tackle in the NFL is intended to permanently remove an opposing player from the game until there is only one NFL player remaining. MMA is a little girls sport in comparison.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!

I like MMA. This is not MMA, it's Football. I can educate you on the difference if you like.

First news of the day is the video.
NFL's version stating "Brock still has to have control of where he hits the quarterback" (my point) http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...7eb3/Roethlisberger-goes-down?continuous=true

I am a big enough person to look at the facts with a somewhat open mind. Brock was tripped (which i didn't know when I posted obviously) but still clearly (look for yourself) launched himself into Ben's knees under his own power. He had control of his own body when he launched and hit the knees after the play is my point. You decide. Was he tripped and under no control or did he have control and "launch"? There's a big difference.

Second, the news reports state he was hit after the play.

Third, he was fined. So that's that.

Look, I don't care who this happens to. Pittsburgh or Dallas, America's Team, or your team. Dallas is idiotic for playing Romo and taking a chance with a collapsed lung. The promised hits to Romo could kill him. Think I'm being overdramatic? A sharp rib puncturing a lung ~ I don't know how much of a genius you have to be to realize the danger to life there. THIS IS BECOMING A TREND

And by the way even MMA in it's first stages had rules to prevent career-ending moves. Ever hear of the "tap-out"? It's a technique offered BY THE SPORT to prevent such things. You may tell those "little girl" fighters they are sissies for tapping out. But the league can't offer a football player that same type of option to stop a play just before they incur a career-ending blow 'cause they're SO TOUGH?

It is the exact same thing. You stop the game/match at the point it becomes dangerous or life-threatening. I can't believe I have to explain this. You can organize a sport so dangerous or life-threatening events are minimized. Or not.

I suggest that Emperor Goddell fails so miserably at this he's ruining the "sport". I now know NFL is Professional Battle, not sport. It's no longer a "game". I didn't realize I was the only one who still believed it was. I got fooled as they still call it a game, but everyone but me knows it's not really a "game". These are warriors, not athletes. So I was misled. I think the reason I posted this initially is I'm feeling ugly when I am supposed to be "amused"*

Alright: Let's Go Get Him Boys! All's fair in love and war! Win at all costs! It's actually becoming amusing to watch guys get their careers ended by a creative "play". Thanks guys, I'm understanding it better now. See? You're never too old to learn. :) "Guys get hurt. It's part of the game." And all that sort of whatnot.

Since I'm open-minded, sortof:
Seattle's version suggesting he shouldn't have been fined: VIDEO: Ben Roethlisberger's Injury, Raheem Brock And The Brady Rule - The Daily Drip - SB Nation Seattle

*GAME- a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators. Dictionary.com

This is why I've watched the "game" since 1968:
a·muse
   /əˈmyuz/ Show Spelled[uh-myooz]
1.to hold the attention of (someone) pleasantly; entertain or divert in an enjoyable or cheerful manner: She amused the guests with witty conversation.
2.to cause mirth, laughter, or the like, in: The comedian amused the audience with a steady stream of jokes.
3.to cause (time, leisure, etc.) to pass agreeably. (editor's bold highlights)

Even though you hate this post I'm glad I brought it up, withstood the Steeler prejudice, and made the issue one of discussion. I apologize for my "knee-jerk" reaction. I will use this thread throughout the season to post your favorite players' vids of knee-spearing as they become posted to validate my point.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!

I know I get a little worked up when I see things like that, but I'll leave the talking to you now. I'll just post videos as I see them. Thank you for your indulgence.

cctekguy

Staff member

Sorry I'm late, but this is the first time I've read this thread.

Discoverology has done a BRILLIANT job passionately defining what is wrong with the NFL...with sports in general...and with the American mentality of "Succeed At ALL Cost".

I didn't see the play but I understand the overall concern.

The penalty for "cheating" is less than the penalty for "losing" in terms of financial gain or loss.

efactor

Coming at you

Maybe the NFL is taking a stance that rapists don't get the same consideration that non-rapists get when they get hit. :nono2: