DEF matchup week 1?

gizzil

Defenses are really hard to predict week 1... I have San Fran (@GB) who i intend to keep and start most weeks but... @ GB... i mean... i also have Cin @ bal - i like cin... but on the road week 1... again... so here's the real question... in this league (and most i would assume) JAX @ MIN and MIN v. JAX are open - im thinkin drop cin for Minnie? Sorry Miller

jjtweeks

I am in the same boat gizzil. MN is just as good as cinci and have a great matchup this week and next so I would definitely drop Cinci for the vikes. No question at all for me. Vikes play against higher scoring teams for the most part but you would not be using them that much anyway seeing as you have the 49ers but the Vikes should have a great 1st two weeks on the defensive side.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
While i like Cincy's D a lot this year, they are not a great start this week. Last year they scored 3 pts and 1 pt in their 2 games against the Ravens. Looking elsewhere is not a bad idea at all.

gizzil

yeah im thinkin coin flip on jax/min. seattle is on the road actually i think... but... is AZ gonna be able to pass

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I Like Jax def vs. Minn. as long as Peterson is not playing.

Coachnorm

While i like Cincy's D a lot this year, they are not a great start this week. Last year they scored 3 pts and 1 pt in their 2 games against the Ravens. Looking elsewhere is not a bad idea at all.

I like Cincy D overall but it is not a good week for them as you point out. I also noticed that in most of my redraft leagues everybody seems to have only one and there are a "bunch o Ds" available. Check your league out and if this is true you may be better off having one main D and look each week for one with a great matchup as in the last couple of years owners seem reluctant to spend a roster spot on a backup D.

Now having said this I was looking at dropping a D in my preseason WW and it was Buffalo who is playing the Jets O this week and then felt I had to play them as the Jets O has been so pathetic and Buffalo is going to be really excited about trying to beat the Jets in NY to start the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

deuce4321

Driller
I like Cincy D overall but it is not a good week for them as you point out. I also noticed that in most of my redraft leagues everybody seems to have only one and there are a "bunch o Ds" available. Check your league out and if this is true you may be better off having one main D and look each week for one with a great matchup as in the last couple of years owners seem reluctant to spend a roster spot on a backup D.

Now having said this I was looking at dropping a D in my preseason WW and it was Buffalo who is playing the Jets O this week and then felt I had to play them as the Jets O has been so pathetic and Buffalo is going to be really excited about trying to beat the Jets in NY to start the season.

Start at your own risk. Tebow will be unleashed this game and nobody is going to see it coming.

gizzil

i usually do employ the coach strategy... and have here, but here it is forced, and so, in my own case, it's pretty much min (or jax) - however - this thread was for week one team def matchups in general, esp. waiver ones

realmwalker

I am playing the weekly juggle of DEF but drafted MINNESOTA with my last pick simply because I liked their first couple of weeks. That said, I see that SAINTS and DALLAS and SAN DIEGO avail on the WW. Any suggestion on who I might grab going forward. We get no RETURN YARDAGE so its standard DEF.

My current Roster is in my SIG so if you have a suggestion on who to drop to carry and EXTRA DEF I am all ears. Thanks.

Coachnorm

I am playing the weekly juggle of DEF but drafted MINNESOTA with my last pick simply because I liked their first couple of weeks. That said, I see that SAINTS and DALLAS and SAN DIEGO avail on the WW. Any suggestion on who I might grab going forward. We get no RETURN YARDAGE so its standard DEF.

My current Roster is in my SIG so if you have a suggestion on who to drop to carry and EXTRA DEF I am all ears. Thanks.

I would stick with Minny D for week 1.

You could drop Steve Smith to grab another D but I would want to see how he plays out for week1 first. He's listed as the Rams #3 right now. After this week look and see if Steve Smith is a clear cut #3WR or stuck in a rotation (Givens, Gibson) of Wrs for the slot. If he is the clear cut #3 you need to hang on to him. When you look at the stats after this week it may be hard to determine by catches alone. If so hit the search engine for a source that tracks 'Targets" as that may be a better indicator of who is on the field the most. I hate to drop someone too early just for a slightly better D matchup.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
All good choices listed in the above posts! If you need to look even deeper I think Denver D will be a solid pick this week. Against the Steelers who are having a hard time running the ball and a horrible O-line matched with a QB that holds the ball too long means there will be plenty of sacks and potential for fumbles. If Manning gets Denver out to a early lead it could really increase the passing that Pittsburg will have to do.

Pittsburg has traditionally started out slow and with Wallace just getting back he is not in football shape and less likely to 'show out' in the first game.

#1bears fan

Week 1 I like Seattle as well I wouldnt start a defense against GB all season or the patriots or the saints or houston Defense is the main spot on your roster where matchups play a huge role 49ers are solid but playing top echelon teams that you know are going to get their points unless you think they can march into Lambeau and shut down Rodgers I would sit them.