Nebraska moving to Big 10

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
^ while playing in a division with 5 other Texas and Oklahoma schools. And here we are today with that warm weather, cold weather conference melting away....

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Did you live in Austin? Have you lived on the west coast? West coast outside of the cities?

The Univ. of Texas fits in better culturally and athletically with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arizona, and Arizona State than with any Big Ten member.

Texas is a warm weather school and the Pac-10 is a warm weather sports conference. From football, to baseball, to golf, the Pac-10 is a way better fit.
No they don't. Nor have you any proof. You can say you BELIEVE this. That is fine.

I have lived in texas for two year, outside of Houston. Texans are no where near culturally the west coast. Totally different tastes, and behaviors. Wish harder Kingdome....and the world might just get that rose colored sky you have.........:rolleyes:

Warm weather shwarm weather. Time for YOU to face facts. It won't be culture or weather that decides this. Money, pure and simple, will. Big 10 has it now. They will get it even huger over EVERY conf. if they get ND and a NY school. That is simply the facts. Not supposition.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
God Bless you for living near that shithole.

Anyway, we make plenty of money on our own. Id say if you were really looking at this from a total sports perspective, wed fit better with the Pac because of softball, baseball, swimming, golf, and such.

Wed fit better with the Big 10 in Football and Basketball.

Going to be interesting.

Phicinfan

Administrator
God Bless you for living near that shithole.

Anyway, we make plenty of money on our own. Id say if you were really looking at this from a total sports perspective, wed fit better with the Pac because of softball, baseball, swimming, golf, and such.

Wed fit better with the Big 10 in Football and Basketball.

Going to be interesting.
You two do realize that the Big 10 HAS golf, baseball, swimming, softball, and has been ranked nationaly as well for gymnastics right?

Seriously....stop this its a stupid argument.

As for money. Yes, Texas makes a boatload. However, with the Big 10 it would make more. It is a given that all members of the Big 10 are highest paid by the conf. than any conf. Add NY market...and god forbid ND...and it won't be touched by any other conf.

It really could be a simple matter of money.

However, I grant you..... that if Texas wants to grow in NEWER markets...the WC may be appealing for that.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I have lived in texas for two year, outside of Houston. Texans are no where near culturally the west coast.

Where have you lived on the west coast?

Do you understand different parts of Texas have different culture? Hell, Sarge chimed in on this topic recently. Austin vs. Aggie for example, which is why one is talking about going SEC (outside of Houston) and the other is talking about Pac-16 (Austin).

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
You two do realize that the Big 10 HAS golf, baseball, swimming, softball, and has been ranked nationaly as well for gymnastics right?

Okie State, Arizona State, & Arizona have more golf, softball, and baseball titles than the entire Big Ten combined. Sure, you play baseball, softball, and golf, but you suck.

If Texas wants to advance their fencing and hockey programs, Big Ten it is. In football and other sports it cares about, it would hurt. Cold weather conference, opens recruiting door into Texas for rust belt schools.

Might as well cash big checks in the conference that fits the best.

Bucknut

^ while playing in a division with 5 other Texas and Oklahoma schools. And here we are today with that warm weather, cold weather conference melting away....

And weather had nothing to do with it ending (or possibly ending). The money lured Nebraska away. Not weather.

Could you imagine the university presdient: "We decided to move from the Big XII to the Big Ten due to the schools in that conference having a simliar climate to what we have in Nebraska".

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Personally I don't think the Pac 10 fits UT worth a darn. Big 10 either and that's just as glaring. If they're looking for a great fit they need to look to the SEC. But of course I'm biased and speaking from my heart not my brain. What ever conference lands them got a bargain. We've lost a great chance in the SEC to unquestionably stay on top as the best football conference in the nation, period.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A

Um...yeah, but the west coast has superior baseball and softball. Just one of those things.

Seriously....stop this its a stupid argument.

What am I arguing?

As for money. Yes, Texas makes a boatload. However, with the Big 10 it would make more. It is a given that all members of the Big 10 are highest paid by the conf. than any conf. Add NY market...and god forbid ND...and it won't be touched by any other conf.

Quite possible. But I guess it would be a choice of outrageous money vs obscene money. With numbers that high either one is good.

It really could be a simple matter of money.

It is.

However, I grant you..... that if Texas wants to grow in NEWER markets...the WC may be appealing for that.

I prefer the Pac-16 arrangement just because it does keep more of our traditional rivalries in place and keeps travel costs down a bit, but in the end who gives a damn.

We are going to still win our fair share of games in all sports wherever we go. I just want the regents to make the right choice for Texas, and not do something stupid like trying to keep the Big 12 together.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I prefer the Pac-16 arrangement just because it does keep more of our traditional rivalries in place and keeps travel costs down a bit, but in the end who gives a damn.
When you strip away all the other lame arguments like weather, golf, softball, rowing and direct flights; that is the one argument that is at the heart at why Texas will likely go to the Pac-10. They can bring other schools around them with them. Big 10 is not going to lower their academic standards just to bring some of the other Big 12 schools along. They do not need to and don't have the room in their plan to do it. They would add Texas (and Oklahoma I'd guess) but not the others.

If Texas wants to stay with a pack of their rivals from the Big 12, pac 10 it will have to be. If they want to break off on their own then they have a lot of options.

Phicinfan

Administrator
When you strip away all the other lame arguments like weather, golf, softball, rowing and direct flights; that is the one argument that is at the heart at why Texas will likely go to the Pac-10. They can bring other schools around them with them. Big 10 is not going to lower their academic standards just to bring some of the other Big 12 schools along. They do not need to and don't have the room in their plan to do it. They would add Texas (and Oklahoma I'd guess) but not the others.

If Texas wants to stay with a pack of their rivals from the Big 12, pac 10 it will have to be. If they want to break off on their own then they have a lot of options.
Yeah, I can agree with this. If they really want to keep up the existing rivalries...then staying in Big 12 or expanded PAC would work.

However, as spoken with Colorado and Nebraska...with the conf. being blown up...do you really focus on existing rivalries? dunno:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Where have you lived on the west coast?

Do you understand different parts of Texas have different culture? Hell, Sarge chimed in on this topic recently. Austin vs. Aggie for example, which is why one is talking about going SEC (outside of Houston) and the other is talking about Pac-16 (Austin).

More power to A&M if they really want the SEC. I happen to think they would fit better in Pac 10.

As for your other quote.....no I have not lived on teh west coast. Spent a lot of time there for work though. Does not make me an expert though.

but lets cut the BS. The ONLY way you get Texas, is if the want to keep the existing rivalries as pointed out by Sarge and Miller. Otherwise.....I bet Texas stays or goes Big 10.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Wow......Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan (if they ever wake up again). Impressive.

Imagine being Indiana and facing that in consecutive weeks.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Wow......Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan (if they ever wake up again). Impressive.

Imagine being Indiana and facing that in consecutive weeks.

Too bad we're not going to find out now. Would have made for some great games.

Indiana, LOL, they might never have won another division game again.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Yeah, it does suck we'll never know.

Texas/OU will continue to dominate the Medium 12.

Colorado will continue to get butt farked in all sports in the Pac-1_

Only Ohio State "lost" in these scenarios. They now have to contend with Nebraska, and I personally am looking forward to those fights.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't consider that a loss at all, that is a win. Bigger, better conference is much better for all teams in the conference. Just like when PSU was added, that is a plus for all the teams at the top. Better competition makes you better prepared in the end.

Big 10 accomplished what it needed to in adding a 12 team. Added a very good program and picked up the 12th needed for a title game and no 45 day layovers now if you make a title game.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Also, I can't wait for the first time Nebraska comes to the Shoe, might have to make that game.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I don't consider that a loss at all, that is a win.
Hence why I put the " " around loss. Its made the Big Ten much tougher, but its also given Ohio State its first legitimate threat to conference supremacy in a few years.Nebraska's appearance also means Michigan better get their shiat together RIGHT NOW or risk being mired in the land of 5-8 wins for several more years. Nebraska is more than capable of handling the Buckeye power game. They have perhaps more experience than anyone in dealing with spread offenses.I cant wait for Big Ten football in 2011. Its going to be VERY interesting to watch unfold.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
ehhh, not sure I'll go that far. Nebraska is a "good" program, Big 10 is filled with them. Ohio State is the class of the league and PSU of late has been their running mate. I don't see Nebraska changing that. I see Nebraska as another Wisconsin. Extremely dangerous at at time, but not going to dominate the conference for any amount of time either.

That said, I'd love to see them bounce back to their periods of greatness, just not sure we'll see it consistently.