Nebraska moving to Big 10

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well that is the death nell for the Big 12. I also think if Missouri goes with Nebraska to the Big 10...then the Big East will be next.....as the Big ten will add Pittsburgh or Rutgers or UConn or Syracuse at least two of those, maybe three if Notre Dame stays out.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
ESPN has a story from a Big 12 coach who wishes to remain nameless, taht this is the case.

the lynch pin is Nebraska. If Nebraska stays...big 12 stands pat. If they move to the big 10..then the 4 texas schools and the 2 Oklahoma schools go to Pac 10.

3 Texas schools. No Baylor, CU instead. TMZ is reporting Okie State is next to follow CU to the Pac.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
This guy has been correct about everything so far:

@ChipBrownOB

1. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech appear to be in lock step to the Pac-10 but will wait til next week to announce anything.
less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

2. There is no truth to reports that Texas and Texas A&M are considering the Big Ten. But A&M is still considering the SEC.
2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator

2. There is no truth to reports that Texas and Texas A&M are considering the Big Ten. But A&M is still considering the SEC.
2 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Think it is more the Big 10 will not take A&M.....and Texas will not go anywhere without them blocking the Big 10 from being a realistic option. A&M is not a good fit academically with either, but looks like the Pac-10 much more willing to lower it's standards academically than the Big 10 is.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
sooo.....if A&M bolts for the SEC.....would that open Texas to look in another direction?

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
sooo.....if A&M bolts for the SEC.....would that open Texas to look in another direction?

Texas doesn't think it fits with either the SEC (academics) or Big Ten (geography). Since they can't salvage the Big 12, the Pac-16 is the next best option.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
If the Aggies go to the SEC with Oklahoma, wed still go to the Pac-whatever.

Personally, I think the Aggies going to the SEC is suicide. They couldnt consistenly compete in any sport or academically in this conference, and I sure as hell dont see them surviving the SEC.

Theyd fade off into 5 win mediocrity. You think anyone in the SEC fears the Aggies?

Remote Controller

If the Aggies go to the SEC with Oklahoma, wed still go to the Pac-whatever.

Personally, I think the Aggies going to the SEC is suicide. They couldnt consistenly compete in any sport or academically in this conference, and I sure as hell dont see them surviving the SEC.

Theyd fade off into 5 win mediocrity. You think anyone in the SEC fears the Aggies?
Which means not much would change for the Aggies. They were just beginning to climb out of the duldrums, and I agree the SEC wouldn't help them continue.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
The thing with Texas A&M, especially now that Im working in the Bryan area, is the level of intelligence. Im really not trying to make light of them this time, but there is honestly a very noticeable difference in the overall intelligence level between Bryan and Austin. Some of the things these people do here just boggles the mind. I work here, but I could never live here. Also, Austin just offers so much more to an 18 year old kid than Bryan does, and no one in their right mind wants to go party in Houston, which is the closest non Longhorn area they could go to.

Now youd turn around and basically tell a recruit "Come" to a place which wouldnt further their education that much unless they were into animal sciences, plus they have to drive a long distance for a variety of things to do, and they get to have their asses kicked 9 out of 12 Saturdays and never make a post season appearance.

Id pass too.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I thought I read somewhere, maybe Miller here, that the texas legistlature was going to get involved and keep the texas schools together?

Still, if A&M goes SEC, which I doubt if they don't get Texas to tag along....I don't think Texas is locked to the future Pac 16.

However, I have heard in the past that Utah was a lock in the Pac if they expanded...so losing out on A&M might not bother the Pac at all.

But, I am a Ohio State Homer....so if A&M goes its own way....I keep hoping that leaves the door for Texas to join the Big 10.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I heard the same thing about the Texas schools. Seems they want them to stick together. Somebody frome Alabama (i think) is really pushing for A&M to come to the SEC since he has old ties with them. If Texas does go tothe Pac 10, it will be a better conference in my opinion. The Texas v USC rivalary will be big. From what i have heard and understand so far is that Baylor, K state and Kansas are being left out of any talk to go anywhere. Poor Baylor, nobody wants these bottom feeders. Looks like the Big East is sitting back and waiting to see how this plays out with Texas, Oklahoma and A&M before they make any move. Geographically it doesnt seem like a good move for any Big East team to do the west coast/midwest conference deal. Something more on the east side makes more sence to me. So that brings up the SEC or ACC but they haven't been vocal about anything. So maybe the MAC/Big East merge. And then theirs ND, I don't think anybody has the slightest clue what they will or won't do. Its all speculation and wishes on where they might go. Where they sit at now seems to be working for them but might not anymore with these expansions going on. They just might have to join a conference if they still want the televised games and etc since these new conferences will concern themselves and schedule these teams to get a rivalry going.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I heard the same thing about the Texas schools. Seems they want them to stick together. Somebody frome Alabama (i think) is really pushing for A&M to come to the SEC since he has old ties with them. If Texas does go tothe Pac 10, it will be a better conference in my opinion. The Texas v USC rivalary will be big. From what i have heard and understand so far is that Baylor, K state and Kansas are being left out of any talk to go anywhere. Poor Baylor, nobody wants these bottom feeders. Looks like the Big East is sitting back and waiting to see how this plays out with Texas, Oklahoma and A&M before they make any move. Geographically it doesnt seem like a good move for any Big East team to do the west coast/midwest conference deal. Something more on the east side makes more sence to me. So that brings up the SEC or ACC but they haven't been vocal about anything. So maybe the MAC/Big East merge. And then theirs ND, I don't think anybody has the slightest clue what they will or won't do. Its all speculation and wishes on where they might go. Where they sit at now seems to be working for them but might not anymore with these expansions going on. They just might have to join a conference if they still want the televised games and etc since these new conferences will concern themselves and schedule these teams to get a rivalry going.

Just read a great article posted at PFT from the NYtimes. It calls out that very soon there will be 4 super 16 conf. They are the Pac 10(16), SEC, Big 10(16) and the ACC.

I guess the assumption is, that both the SEC and or the ACC will pick the leavings of the Big 12 and Big East once all the others are done.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Just read a great article posted at PFT from the NYtimes. It calls out that very soon there will be 4 super 16 conf. They are the Pac 10(16), SEC, Big 10(16) and the ACC.

I guess the assumption is, that both the SEC and or the ACC will pick the leavings of the Big 12 and Big East once all the others are done.

I thought the NCAA and Govt officials were going to try and block the 4 super conferences from happening.

SEC is looking good on the expansion with the teams talking about going there. ACC, havent heard anything from them so are they just going to take the unwanted bottom feeders? FSU seems like a school of a bunch of wimps just the way they do things. They turned down the SEC years ago 'cuz they knew they could not come in and dominate. So they chose the ACC, which was weak athe time, 'cuz they knew they would walk in and dominate and they did. Past few years the division has got more competitive but between the same few teams. Now bring in a Good team from elsewhere that would challenge for ACC championship and i dont think they would like it and may try to block it. IDK just my opinion.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Yeah, Herd was talking that the Texas Legislature was going to block Texas from leaving the other 2....but did not say anything about if A&M would be the one to decide to go another route.....

Phicinfan

Administrator
I thought the NCAA and Govt officials were going to try and block the 4 super conferences from happening.
Good question, but I don't know how they stop it. To my knowledge, they have no power over size of conf. or who they invite.

SEC is looking good on the expansion with the teams talking about going there. ACC, havent heard anything from them so are they just going to take the unwanted bottom feeders? FSU seems like a school of a bunch of wimps just the way they do things. They turned down the SEC years ago 'cuz they knew they could not come in and dominate. So they chose the ACC, which was weak athe time, 'cuz they knew they would walk in and dominate and they did. Past few years the division has got more competitive but between the same few teams. Now bring in a Good team from elsewhere that would challenge for ACC championship and i dont think they would like it and may try to block it. IDK just my opinion.
If the SEC gets Oklahoma...they win big here. That would be an absolute power conf. Texas A&M would be a downer. Then again, the SEC doesn't get all that much from some current schools now.

I think this all hinges on Nebraska. Assuming Nebraska votes to apply for Big 10 status, that will force Texas schools hands. Colorado is gone already. So they will go west or south east depending on offer.

I still think Big ten adds Nebraska and Missouri....and then goes and strips two eastern schools from Big East. The caveat for Big 10 is who they go after if ND says no again.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Agree, OK would be a great addition to the SEC and having to take another team to make it happen no matter who it is, they still win big time getting OU.

Nebraska? really, i thought it was all hanging on what Texas does. Since Nebraska is already going to the B10 along with Colorado. Missouri is still a question mark i think.

ND, what can be said? They might need to move to a conference if they still want to compete in CFB.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Agree, OK would be a great addition to the SEC and having to take another team to make it happen no matter who it is, they still win big time getting OU.
:nod:

Nebraska? really, i thought it was all hanging on what Texas does. Since Nebraska is already going to the B10 along with Colorado. Missouri is still a question mark i think.
Colorado is Pac 10. Nebraska is going Big 10 it is believed. If Nebraska goes, the texas schools know the Big 12 is done. Thus they will then take another option. So Missouri would be a great fit due to academics and proximity to U. of Illinois.

ND, what can be said? They might need to move to a conference if they still want to compete in CFB.
I think if this super conf. stuff really hits, they have no choice. They won't get games with Big 10 anymore. Nor any other major team as they will have no or few out of conf. games. They will then have to play, or be stuck playing small conf. teams.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Had a chance to think about it and liking the superconferences more and more. Like said above these teams will play atougher schedule and will no longer be able to schedule powder puff teams for easy wins and lessen the strength of schedule which is part of determining rankings in the BCS. And my final vote is OU and Kansas to the SEC. So many upsides on that i think esp when BB is brought into consideration.

And just read Boise St went to the MWC. That puts them in the conference with Utah and TCU and a few others. Makes that conference interesting now or more so.