Nebraska moving to Big 10

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think your wrong about the Huskers, but thats why Im going to get to watch them play the games. It would almost be worth my couple thousand mile drive to see Buckeyes vs Cornhuskers.

Just dont ask Nebraska to help out Big Ten hoops.....

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So you think that by joining the Big 10 they will some how revert back to the 90's and challenge for National Titles every year?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Nebraska, in the last decade, has finished out of the top 25 5 of the 10 years.

They have not finished in the top 10 in 8 years. and have lost at least 3 games every year over that time. They also lost 7 games twice and 6 once in that span.

It's been 11 years since they have finished in the top 5.

Just don't see how going from the Big 12 North to the Big 10 is going to help them out any. Still a great program and still will have seasons of dominance. But I don't see them strolling in and winning big ten title after title either.

Bucknut

ehhh, not sure I'll go that far. Nebraska is a "good" program, Big 10 is filled with them. Ohio State is the class of the league and PSU of late has been their running mate. I don't see Nebraska changing that. I see Nebraska as another Wisconsin. Extremely dangerous at at time, but not going to dominate the conference for any amount of time either.

That said, I'd love to see them bounce back to their periods of greatness, just not sure we'll see it consistently.

I think Nebraska is a "sleeping giant". They had a rough run with Callahan there, but Pelini has got them going in the right direction.

I think Nebraska will be on par with the top Big Ten teams and I'd bet they'll win their share of conference titles.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Nebraska, in the last decade, has finished out of the top 25 5 of the 10 years.

They have not finished in the top 10 in 8 years. and have lost at least 3 games every year over that time. They also lost 7 games twice and 6 once in that span.

It's been 11 years since they have finished in the top 5.

Just don't see how going from the Big 12 North to the Big 10 is going to help them out any. Still a great program and still will have seasons of dominance. But I don't see them strolling in and winning big ten title after title either.

You swap a couple words out here and there and your talking about Texas before Mack Brown. You should know as well as anyone all it takes is the RIGHT coach at the RIGHT time for programs like ours to suddenly flourish. (Also see Jim Tressel at Ohio State).

Pelini has them going in the right direction. Compairing Nebraska to Wisconsin, to me, is like apples to oranges. Nebraska is a powerful, tradition rich program with national championships and a fan base Wisconsin could only dream about.

Wisconsin couldnt hold Nebraska's jockstrap, and I do believe they are a threat to Ohio State from Day 1.

But you are right Miller, its been awhile since they put it all together. As I said, its going to make for some exciting football.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Guess we'll see. Your right, the right person in the right place and they could wake up the sleeping giant. It is a great program historically and look what happened at Bama when ya got the right coach in there.

Like I said, I am very excited to see them in the Big Ten. Should be some great battles for sure.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I too look forward to the Nebraska/Ohio St games. The right coach sure turned things around at LSU. Even after he left we've held out own up until now.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
ehhh, not sure I'll go that far. Nebraska is a "good" program, Big 10 is filled with them. Ohio State is the class of the league and PSU of late has been their running mate. I don't see Nebraska changing that. I see Nebraska as another Wisconsin. Extremely dangerous at at time, but not going to dominate the conference for any amount of time either.

That said, I'd love to see them bounce back to their periods of greatness, just not sure we'll see it consistently.
I will disagree with you here. I agree with Sarge, I think Nebraska will be a great fit for the Big 10. They have the same M.O. as the standard big ten team.

All of what happens though will depend on how they split the conf. I wonder if they put Michigan and Ohio State in same div or not. That is a key rivalry in the big 10.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I will disagree with you here. I agree with Sarge, I think Nebraska will be a great fit for the Big 10. They have the same M.O. as the standard big ten team.

All of what happens though will depend on how they split the conf. I wonder if they put Michigan and Ohio State in same div or not. That is a key rivalry in the big 10.

Let me add I am thrilled we finally will get out of the stupid skip scheduling the Big 10 has. With divisional set up...no more NOT playing key teams like before. At least I hope.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator

That is fine, I have no issue with someone feeling the way Sarge does. But I want to make something clear b/c your statement argues something that I have not. I love Nebraska in the big 10 and feel they are an excellent fit. I have never argued to the contrary. Were on the same page from that statement.

Where I seem to disagree with some is that I don't think Nebraska right now is near the caliber of program as Ohio State and I really don't see them shifting the balance of power in the Big 10. They may have a resurgence at some point, but currently they are far more like Wisconsin and Iowa than Ohio State or Penn State. Their history is what separates them, but from a current state of the program I feel those are fair comparisons. And that is not saying that there is anything wrong with that. If I can add schools of that caliber I'm doing it all day long.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Very true Miller. The Cornhuskers are no where near the top of their game right now and have not been for a long, long time. I expect them to be back how ever.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Where I seem to disagree with some is that I don't think Nebraska right now is near the caliber of program as Ohio State and I really don't see them shifting the balance of power in the Big 10. They may have a resurgence at some point, but currently they are far more like Wisconsin and Iowa than Ohio State or Penn State. Their history is what separates them, but from a current state of the program I feel those are fair comparisons. And that is not saying that there is anything wrong with that. If I can add schools of that caliber I'm doing it all day long.
Oh, we agree there. I thnk it will end up being like Penn state. They did not do well early, but have some very good years once they got into the Big 10 recruitment.

I still can't wait to see the divisional alignment. Assuming they do this.

Do you split west vs. east? Does this force Michigan and OSU in different divisions?

Will they wait to see if they expand more before they decide this?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't see how you can split Mich and OSU.

East/West could be brutal for the East:
East: PSU/OSU/Mich/MSU/Ind/Purdue
West: Neb/Iowa/Wisc/Ill/NW/Min

BIG advantage East

Phicinfan

Administrator

BIG advantage East
If this happens, you just put Nebraska in the Big 10 final every year.

Bucknut

Originally Posted by Miller

BIG advantage East

Read more: http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nfl/f125/nebraska-moving-big-10-a-34904/index10.html#ixzz0rJb9URy7
If this happens, you just put Nebraska in the Big 10 final every year.

I don't think it would be automatic. Nebraska has a 56% winning percentage vs those teams.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Like I stated earlier, the current state of Nebraska football puts them on par with programs like Wisconsin and Iowa. Not above them IMO. I don't think it's automatic by any means looking at the current state of the programs.

Last 10 years:
Nebraska: 84-44 - .656% - 4 10 win seasons
Wisconsin: 85-43 - .664% - 2 10 win seasons
Iowa: 80-45 - .640% - 4 10 win seasons

Wisconsin actually has the slight win advantage yet Iowa and Nebraska tie for the most 10 win seasons over that span. In the last decade these 3 programs are VERY close to each other and none would have a built in advantage year in and year out IMO.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Here's how that top 3 would compare to the top 3 in the hypothetical East:

Ohio State: 102-25 - .803 - 7 10 win seasons (including a current streak of 5 in a row)
Penn State: 77-46 - .626 - 3 10 win seasons
Michigan: 81-43 - .653 - 3 10 win seasons

So, if you rank all 6 on winning % it would be:
Ohio St
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Michigan
Iowa
Penn St

Top 3 in the East vs West:
East: 260 -114 - .695
West: 249-132 - .653

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
After looking at the last decade, it is very interesting. One thing that jumps out is no matter where you put Ohio State they will skew the results. They have just been on a different level the last 10 years than anyone else in the new Big 10. But outside of them, the other 5 are all VERY similar. I was surprised how PSU and Michigan stacked up. I forgot how bad PSU was early in the decade. Michigan was bad the last couple years but has some average years over the rest as well. Wisconsin has been the most consistent of the 5, but has the least 10 win years. It is actually Nebraska and Iowa that has the most 10 win season after Ohio State.

This look makes a East/West Split look much more even than I would have thought.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Oh, we agree there. I thnk it will end up being like Penn state. They did not do well early, but have some very good years once they got into the Big 10 recruitment.

I still can't wait to see the divisional alignment. Assuming they do this.

Do you split west vs. east? Does this force Michigan and OSU in different divisions?

Will they wait to see if they expand more before they decide this?
Oh well, guess they did split OSU and Michigan. Figured they would, and moved the rivalry game up too. What a pain in the @ss! :banghead: