Nebraska moving to Big 10

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Guessing Texas and Oklahoma will be making announcements here soon now. I'd like to see at least 1 come to the SEC. Off topic but it sounds like the Big East is going thru some changes also.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
And now the domino's will start to fall. I think Texas will be the next to have to make a big decision. The word is that Texas Legislature (not sure how they can dictate this but guess they can) will not let Texas leave Tech and A&M in limbo. So a deal would have to include those two schools which likely takes the Big 10 out of it, I don't see them taking the other two, already at 12, and taking 3 Texas schools, even if one is Texas doesn't make sense. But Pac-10 could look to add Texas/Oklahoma, Tech, A&M and 2 other schools (Ok st & Col possible) and form a merge of sort. Missouri would then likely go to the Big 10 and Kansas would be the big one floating around.....

Tons of possibilities, and this will get very interesting. The first move has been made, now the fun begins.

For the Big 10, great addition. Adding the tradition of Nebraska is a great fit.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Big 12 commish is going after BYU & Air Force while Texas laughs. I think the MWC will be swallowing up Big 12 members, not vice versa.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think the days of the Big 12 are numbered. If the Big 10 is going to try to lure Texas, they made the right move, this will make Texas look hard at all options, they don't want to be the one holding the ball in the end.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Quick rundown:

- Texas privately admits Big 12 is dead
- Texas & TAMU to meet tomorrow
- Kansas and Kansas State cry
- Baylor alums vowing to fight to stay with the big boys
- CU is working to beat Baylor to the punch by offering itself up to the Pac-10 first
- MWC postpones adding Boise State as they eye potential Big 12 teams to poach off as they look to become the replacement BCS conference for the Big 12

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
A Big 12 source told ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan that officials from Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech, in a move sensing Nebraska's determination to join the Big Ten, have already met to pledge their solidarity. The first choice is to save the Big 12, but if that's not possible, officials from those schools are prepared to merge with the Pac-10.

The Texas tie is what may land UTexas in the Pac-10....man, King, out of our entire debate, I don't think either of us mentioned their tie to both those schools and the Pac-10 taking all 3 being the difference. They bring in OU as well and that is a tight 14 to build off of for sure!

My guess is those 4 plus OK st and CU join the Pac-10. Nebraska, Missouri & ND (yep, ND makes the jump with all that is happening) join the Big 10 and it goes to 14.

The rest of the Big 12 scrambles and the Big East stays put for now with the Big 10 going west. Pit and Rutgers could possibly make the B10 16 if they want to go that large, but at this point I'm not sure that happens.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
The rumor going on is this:

West: Old Pac-8
East: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, texas Tech, Texas, Texas A&M

Mike

Administrator
In my perfect world, Texas Tech would be replaced by TCU. It's time to get a DFW area school into a big conference like this. I could see TCU being very dominating in a very short time if this were to happen.

Just think of the talent that would start staying close to home for a team like TCU in this situation.

That, and I hate those tortilla throwing jerkoffs in Lubbock ;)

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, & Boise State to the MWC to replace Big 12 as an automatic BCS bid conference?

MWC West:

Wyoming
Colorado State
Utah
BYU
Boise State
UNLV
San Diego St.

East:

Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Air Force
New Mexico
TCU
Baylor

If they want to go to 16, they could also add Fresno State or Nevada in the west and either Houston, Memphis, UTEP, Tulsa, etc. in the east.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Definitly some interesting points and ideas being tossed around. Going to be fun to see how this all plays out.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
My guess is those 4 plus OK st and CU join the Pac-10. Nebraska, Missouri & ND (yep, ND makes the jump with all that is happening) join the Big 10 and it goes to 14.
I think they go 16. I don't think those three above hit the other key area the BIG 10 wanted. Which is also to get into the NY market or east.

My guess is they will add the above, and also two of the following:
Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Pittsburgh. My money is on UConn and Rutgers.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
The rumor going on is this:

West: Old Pac-8
East: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, texas Tech, Texas, Texas A&M
ESPN has a story from a Big 12 coach who wishes to remain nameless, taht this is the case.

the lynch pin is Nebraska. If Nebraska stays...big 12 stands pat. If they move to the big 10..then the 4 texas schools and the 2 Oklahoma schools go to Pac 10.

This coach also noted that if this happens, the Pac 16 would push for two automatic bowl bids ( one for each division champ) and not have a conf. championship game..(which according to him no one in Big 12 like).

isn't that interesting...no championship games....and you could then conceivably have twin conf. champions play each other for the top title. I kind of like it!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
This coach also noted that if this happens, the Pac 16 would push for two automatic bowl bids ( one for each division champ) and not have a conf. championship game..(which according to him no one in Big 12 like).

isn't that interesting...no championship games....and you could then conceivably have twin conf. champions play each other for the top title. I kind of like it!

I'd be against that as I'm sure the SEC would be. If you can't win your conference don't join it. Or said another way a long time ago, "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen."

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Colorado Buffaloes have bolted from the Big 12, accepting an invitation Thursday to become the 11th member of the Pac-10 Conference.
It's the first expansion of the league since it added Arizona and Arizona State in 1978. More teams could follow Colorado from the Big 12 to the Pac-10. Reports say Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State could accept invitations soon.

Colorado leaves Big 12 for Pac-10 - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
With Colorado already leaving the Big 12, the endangered conference now waits on word from Missouri and Nebraska.

Both those schools are reported to be in the mix to join the Big Ten, with several reports Wednesday indicating that Nebraska is already headed there. FOX Sports Ohio, for one, said Nebraska was offered an invitation to join the Big Ten, citing a source.

Missouri, Nebraska reportedly to discuss Big Ten move - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN