Nebraska moving to Big 10

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
University of Nebraska officials said Friday that they will apply for membership in the Big Ten Conference and expect to be accepted.

Chancellor Harvey Perlman disclosed the plan during a meeting of the university's Board of Regents, proposing that play in the new conference begin in 2011 after one more year in the Big 12. He said he believed Nebraska is more "aligned" with the Big Ten when it comes to academics, culture and athletics.

Nebraska applying to join Big Ten - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Im glad to see solidarity between Oklahoma and Texas. One of us will still win this proposed western division most years anyway, and it keeps our conference rivalry intact.

Texas A&M really dont matter to me that much. If they want to go to the SEC, let them go.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I do like that the Texas/Oklahoma rivalry will continue. Go from dominating the Big 12 to the Pac whatever.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds says the Longhorns are still "looking at all options'' before deciding whether to stay in the crumbling Big 12 or move to another league.

Texas AD: We're 'looking at all options' on realignment - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN
Texas is in the seat of Power. They are wanted by Pac 10, Big 10, SEC and Big 12(if it remains....).

I think if there is anyway that Big 10 gets ND...that might waiver Texas to the Big 10...as that will be the big draw. Just my opinion here folks.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I think if there is anyway that Big 10 gets ND...that might waiver Texas to the Big 10...as that will be the big draw. Just my opinion here folks.

Why? Give the Big Ten schools a recruiting link to Texas while the Longhorns are the only warm school in a cold weather conference hundreds of miles away? It makes no sense for Texas, and all the sense in the world for the Big Ten.

In the Pac-16, Texas is basically in an 8 team mini-conference that dumps Baylor and the cold plains state Big 12 schools and replaces them with Arizona and Arizona State, two schools with an awful lot in common with the University of Texas.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Why? Give the Big Ten schools a recruiting link to Texas while the Longhorns are the only warm school in a cold weather conference hundreds of miles away? It makes no sense for Texas, and all the sense in the world for the Big Ten.

In the Pac-16, Texas is basically in an 8 team mini-conference that dumps Baylor and the cold plains state Big 12 schools and replaces them with Arizona and Arizona State, two schools with an awful lot in common with the University of Texas.
Don't be silly. Money and TV are EXACTLY why Texas goes to the Big 10.

If the Big 10 gets ND, plus adds two eastern schools, plus Texas. No conf. will match their broadcast draw, money or power.

*edit* adding to this. Keep in mind folks what exactly the Big 10 will be IF it adds the NY market with either Rutgers or UConn. plus a southern school like Texas. My god.....that would be untouchable. NO other conf. would have that kind of reach. None.
You can wish all you want, but the facts are clear, the Big 10 has the network the money, and if they draw the NY market...they will own college football. Texas would be foolish to turn that all away.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Don't be silly. Money and TV are EXACTLY why Texas goes to the Big 10.

Ditto the Pac-16, plus it is a better athletic, geographical, and cultural fit. Growth is in the south and west, not the east or the rust belt. Texas gets to keep a regional division, and get the mega paychecks.

NYC dreaming? Lol! Rutgers has sure done wonders for the Big East by giving them the mighty NYC market (that cares little per capita about football).

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
An overlooked fact is that ND actually does a damn good job of drawing the NYC market. You add someone like Rutgers to give NYC media an excuse to follow the B10 and ND as the real reason and you may actually grab that market.

Bucknut

I don't think Texas is a good fit for either. I think they would fit better in the SEC.

But what'd I'd like to see is the rest of the Big XII stick together and grab a couple non-BCS schools to replace Nebraska & Colorado.

TCU, Boise State, Utah, BYU. Some decent programs out there that they would probably be able to get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Ditto the Pac-16, plus it is a better athletic, geographical, and cultural fit. Growth is in the south and west, not the east or the rust belt. Texas gets to keep a regional division, and get the mega paychecks.

NYC dreaming? Lol! Rutgers has sure done wonders for the Big East by giving them the mighty NYC market (that cares little per capita about football).
Actually, if I had my preference, they would go UConn. They are an up and coming unit in football, but there basketball program is top notch. That would be a huge boon as you get both the NY market AND the Boston market. Win, win for the big ten.

Pac-16 is NOT better athletic, nor is it a better cutural fit. YOU obvioiusly have never lived in Texas. I have. Granted for a short while.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Pac-16 is NOT better athletic, nor is it a better cutural fit. YOU obvioiusly have never lived in Texas. I have. Granted for a short while.

Did you live in Austin? Have you lived on the west coast? West coast outside of the cities?

The Univ. of Texas fits in better culturally and athletically with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arizona, and Arizona State than with any Big Ten member.

Texas is a warm weather school and the Pac-10 is a warm weather sports conference. From football, to baseball, to golf, the Pac-10 is a way better fit.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
:biglaugh: yep, Golf is a major deciding factor here...ya convinced me.....

Yep, just shows it is a better cultural and athletic fit. They can cash big checks in 3 different super conferences, might as well do it in the one that fits the best.

Bucknut

Yeah, I don't think weather is a major factor...they've been in a conference with schools in Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, and Nebraska the past 15 years.