Montana or Marino, who'd you want on your fantasty team

Which great QB would you want leading your team?

• Montana

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Marino

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

efactor

Coming at you
Would Montana complete almost 64% of his passes throwing the ball downfield for his entire career in the Dolphins offense?

Considering he was one of the most accurate passers of all time. Probably. Most "downfield" passing is in the intermediate range of 13-18 yards. To say Marino was better in that area is a fallacy............

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
-
-Marino. Great passer, great stats but not the overall QB Montana was. To be among the greatest, you should have been able to put your team over the edge just one time. Not like his teams sucked and he played his entire career under great coaches. Montana did it in "81" with a team less talented than a lot of Marino's.
Okay, lets be clear here.

First Marino in my opinion is the BEST Qb ever. Period end of statement. He MADE his wrs...not the other way around. I think highly of some other Qbs...but none of them was near the ability of Dan Marino. He threw to tall, short, slow, fast you name it...and he led them perfectly.

As for your feelings on Montana...we can agree to disagree. But put Montana in a game without Rice, Owens for most of his career...and would he still have been Montana? I don't think so.

DearbornDolfan

Considering he was one of the most accurate passers of all time. Probably. Most "downfield" passing is in the intermediate range of 13-18 yards. To say Marino was better in that area is a fallacy............

I don't think he did make that claim, though. I will, however. Montana didn't have the arm strength to treat a 40 yard pass like it was a 10 yard pass. He sure as hell didn't have the arm strength to put a ball 60 yard downfield through the air. And even if he did, there are maybe half a dozen QBs ever that had Marino's combination of range and accuracy; Montana certainly isn't one of them.

He was Chad Pennington before Chad Pennington was Chad Pennington.

efactor

Coming at you
As for your feelings on Montana...we can agree to disagree. But put Montana in a game without Rice, Owens for most of his career...and would he still have been Montana? I don't think so.

Well, considering that Rice didn't arrive until 1985 and Montana had already established himself as a great QB AND considering that Owens arrived AFTER Montana was gone, then yeah, I'm gonna have to say that he could have and was great without them...........

Montana also made receivers. Freddie Soloman was not much before Joe. Dwight Clark was a late round pick (14th I believe). Rice was the only truly great receiver he had (granted, he was the best ever), but this BS that the system made Montana is just that, BS. He made the system work with his accuracy and his instinct for the game.

In your opinion, Marino was the best ever. Most (not counting this group) would not agree with you.............

cctekguy

Staff member
I wouldn't consider Unitas as relevant to this discussion. Opens up a whole new era of QBs.

Putting Favre in the top 5 is ridiculous, IMO.

Manning is still playing so I exed him.

Marino, Elway, Montana, Stabauch, Bradshaw would be my 5.

Legitimate arguments would be Young, Aikman and Fouts.

Just my humble opinion.

DearbornDolfan

Fouts was another excellent QB who could have done great things in many situations.

Agreed. If you throw out presently active QBs, Fouts is my #5 guy in place of Manning.

Something I didn't know until recently, but apparently Walsh regretted never running the Single Wing with Montana or Young. That's a vote of confidence and says a great deal about their athletic ability.

efactor

Coming at you
He was Chad Pennington before Chad Pennington was Chad Pennington.

You lost all credibility with that statement because it means that you either NEVER saw Montana play or your reaching sooooooo far to make your point that you can't be taken seriously.

Montana had a great arm. Granted, he couldn't throw it 80 yards down the field like Elway, but you don't have to. Most "bombs" are 35-40 yard passes that receivers run under. Montana threw lazers when he had too and touch passes when he had to. Again, watch the game winning TD against the Bengals (sorry Miller). Your Pennington comparison goes out the window with a single play.

I'll agree that there were passes that Marino could throw that maybe nobody else could, but that doesn't make him the greatest ever. Montana made plays (the catch for example) that Marino could NEVER make, and he made plays with his feet that Marino could never make. More to being the best than having the strongest arm............

cctekguy

Staff member
What are YOU doing on line at this hour?

If you think 6 consecutive Pro Bowls and 3 super bowl rings are funny, than yes....I am joking.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Well he did beat Marino is the Super Bowl without him....and that was Super Bowl #2 for him.....so without Rice he still had 2 more SB's than Marino.....sorry, he was Montana before Rice arrived......

efactor

Coming at you
Marino, Elway, Montana, Stabauch, Bradshaw would be my 5.

Staubach is another guy who gets left out of these conversations. Great athlete, great leader and winner.........

Fulfilled his Navy commitment, losing 4 years of his career and then sat for a couple years behind Craig Morton, and on a team with a "run first' mentality, so his career stats weren't great. Like Aikman, could have put up big numbers under the right situation...........

Still have nightmares of him tormenting SF in the early 70's.............

Mike

Administrator
Staubach is another guy who gets left out of these conversations. Great athlete, great leader and winner.........

Fulfilled his Navy commitment, losing 4 years of his career and then sat for a couple years behind Craig Morton, and on a team with a "run first' mentality, so his career stats weren't great. Like Aikman, could have put up big numbers under the right situation...........

I considered it, but didn't want to get completely blown up with homer accusations. Roger Staubach was an amazing QB who simply made things happen on the field.

DearbornDolfan

You lost all credibility with that statement because it means that you either NEVER saw Montana play or your reaching sooooooo far to make your point that you can't be taken seriously.

I saw Montana play, but never as a 49er. I remember watching the Fins-Chiefs game (in 95, I think it was) where the Fins were penalized for crowd noise. It was pretty obvious who the better QB was at that point and remember that this was after Marino blew out his Achilles tendon, so it wasn't like either was in top form.

And I saw plenty of bombs and lasers from Pennington last year, so it's not like you can contend Pennington has no arm. If Montana's arm was stronger, it was only marginally so. Both excelled at making the smart throw and picking apart defenses with their brain. Neither are known for their long throw, even if they can execute such throws.

efactor

Coming at you
I saw Montana play, but never as a 49er. I remember watching the Fins-Chiefs game (in 95, I think it was) where the Fins were penalized for crowd noise. It was pretty obvious who the better QB was at that point and remember that this was after Marino blew out his Achilles tendon, so it wasn't like either was in top form.

And I saw plenty of bombs and lasers from Pennington last year, so it's not like you can contend Pennington has no arm. If Montana's arm was stronger, it was only marginally so. Both excelled at making the smart throw and picking apart defenses with their brain. Neither are known for their long throw, even if they can execute such throws.

I'm really not trying to be disagreeable, but a couple things............

-Montana had a much better arm than Pennington or just threw the ball on more of a line. Montana had touch, but his passes never "floated" in like Pennington's. No comparison.........

-Yeah, when you saw Montana-Marino in 1994, I'll agree that Marino was the better QB at that point. While he was coming off an injury, he was 6 years away from his last season. Montana was in his last season and his body was "done". He still had a decent season based on determination and experience, but he shouldn't have even been on the field. A better comparison of head to head would have been the 84 super bowl. Montana in his prime, Marino having a record setting season. Who was obviously the better QB that day?

Marino was great, just not the greatest overall...........

DearbornDolfan

Just asked my roommate what he thought, since he's a Patriots fan and can be objective. He flat out said "No" to Montana being the better QB and left it at that. I asked him if he would put Marino on top of his all-time list and got a flat "yes".

efactor

Coming at you
Just asked my roommate what he thought, since he's a Patriots fan and can be objective. He flat out said "No" to Montana being the better QB and left it at that. I asked him if he would put Marino on top of his all-time list and got a flat "yes".

There you go. A landslide for Marino. That puts this debate to rest.........

I have to ask though. Did your roommate ever see Montana play in his prime or is he basing this on Montana as a chief like you?