Montana or Marino, who'd you want on your fantasty team

Which great QB would you want leading your team?

• Montana

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Marino

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
There you go. A landslide for Marino. That puts this debate to rest.........

I have to ask though. Did your roommate ever see Montana play in his prime or is he basing this on Montana as a chief like you?
:biglaugh:

C

conan35

You realize Shula is the winningest coach of all time? You realize he accomplished that by having Marino carry him there? You realize that the ONLY reason Marino never won a ring is because he never had a back worth a damn. Well, that, and ****ing Jimmy Johnson passed up on Randy Moss.

If we're doing an all-time draft where every player is in their prime, I'm taking Marino first and then taking any one of a number of incredible running backs, then drafting the hogs necessary to make sure my team stacks up yards by the bunches.
Homer or not, you bring up some big points. Fantasy wise, I know Dan is putting the ball up, while Joe can hand the ball off and contril the clock. And like Manning a few years back, I could see taking Dan in the first, at that time there were lots of backs to be used for good numbers, but QBs who will put up 4 Gs & 25 plus TD are very hard to find.

C

conan35

Threw more because the team situation required it. Better passing percentage because one was slinging the ball downfield, the other was constantly dumping off short passes.

Different offense result in different numbers.

Would Montana complete almost 64% of his passes throwing the ball downfield for his entire career in the Dolphins offense?

Great question, but I would go back to looking at the running game and the defense. On these points San Fran has the edge, which is a lot of help for any QB.

Would Dan have to throw as much if he was the QB for those Niners teams?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Fouts was another excellent QB who could have done great things in many situations.
Actually he makes my top 5.

My top 5 are in order:
Marino
Elway
Moon
Fouts
P.Manning

Why?

because they were not system Qbs, they made the plays...and made the recievers. Granted, some of them (fouts and Manning) had incredible talent at Wr. Still, they were or are in wide open systems that rely on their ability and skill to get the ball where it needs.

Just out of the top 5 but close to it are Jim Kelly, Unitis and Favre. I would put Favre in the top 5 had he just retired. But to me these last few years have cost him some prestige.

As to the argument on Montana. No to me Montana did not make the Wrs. The system and the Wrs made him. Heck everytime I see the replay of "the Catch" vs. dallas...I see a great play by Clark..not a great play by Montana. He just threw up a hope and a prayer.

This is the best part of this type of discussion though. Everyone has an opinion...and they are all valid. There has been some incredible talent at the Qb position, the issue is what you use as criteria for your decision.

efactor

Coming at you
As to the argument on Montana. No to me Montana did not make the Wrs. The system and the Wrs made him. Heck everytime I see the replay of "the Catch" vs. dallas...I see a great play by Clark..not a great play by Montana. He just threw up a hope and a prayer.

Huh? A great play by Clark? You didn't see a QB rolling out, being chased by a 6'9" all pro DE, remain calm, pump fake to get him into the air and then throw the ball to the only place his receiver could catch it with .58 seconds left in the NFC championship game? Watch the play again. Clark made a very good catch, but it was an amazing throw under those circumstances............

As to the "WRs made him" argument, hopefully you are no longer under the impression that Terrell Owens played with Montana as you stated in an earlier post or under the impression that Montana didn't play 6 seasons and establish himself as a great QB with two Super Bowl rings before Rice arrived on the scene. Rice is the one great receiver that Montana played with. I recently saw a segment on the NFL network on "the best hands of all time". Rice was rated 7th and the reason given for him not being higher was that Montana ALWAYS put the ball right on target so he didn't have to make acrobatic catches. Montana in a nutshell. If we had a debate on the greatest receivers ever, there would be people saying that Rice was a "systems" receiver and only excelled because he played with Montana and Young. People take a position in these debates, no matter how foolish to try to make their point...........

Marino: Clayton and Duper
Fouts: Joiner, Chandler, Jefferson and Winslow in a pass happy system. My god, talk about a systems guy where his receivers made him.
Manning:Harrison and Wayne
Kelly:Andre Reed and James Lofton (few years anyway)
Unitas:Raymond Berry, John Mackey and Lenny Moore
Favre:Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Driver and Jennings

A constant theme runs through this. Great QBs have excellent receivers. Team game and who made who can be debated forever with no definite conclusion.

The two that you could argue didn't have great receivers were Moon and Elway. Moon played in the run and shoot and had capable receivers and had monster stats. The fact that he didn't get a shot to play in the NFL until he was 28 is unfortunate, as he could easily have ended up the greatest statistical QB of all time assuming he got the opportunity to play in that offense his entire career.

Anyway congrats for your "outside the box" thinking as you are the first person I can recall ever seriously putting Montana this low on an all time QB list..........:xpopcorn:

Phicinfan

Administrator
I'm surprised that Tom Brady isn't making any of these lists.
Honestly, too early for me to move him up. Granted he has won incredible amounts of games and championships.

But if he folds with this knee injury, or goes down again.....not sure he has enough playing time to make the top 10, let alone the top 5.

But I am definately ready to move him up if he rebounds.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
This is the toughest chioce, IMO, you have come up with. Good job. With that being said, both QBs were great in their own right with the teams they played for and had great careers. I could flip a quarter and take either one and be happy. I am more leaning towards Marino over Montana. I just like Dan more than Joe.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Huh? A great play by Clark? You didn't see a QB rolling out, being chased by a 6'9" all pro DE, remain calm, pump fake to get him into the air and then throw the ball to the only place his receiver could catch it with .58 seconds left in the NFC championship game? Watch the play again. Clark made a very good catch, but it was an amazing throw under those circumstances............
Again, we can agree to disagree. To my view, he threw up a prayer, and Clark made the play. Again, not knocking Montana saying he is a dog. But he is not in my top 5.

As to the "WRs made him" argument, hopefully you are no longer under the impression that Terrell Owens played with Montana as you stated in an earlier post or under the impression that Montana didn't play 6 seasons and establish himself as a great QB with two Super Bowl rings before Rice arrived on the scene. Rice is the one great receiver that Montana played with. I recently saw a segment on the NFL network on "the best hands of all time". Rice was rated 7th and the reason given for him not being higher was that Montana ALWAYS put the ball right on target so he didn't have to make acrobatic catches. Montana in a nutshell. If we had a debate on the greatest receivers ever, there would be people saying that Rice was a "systems" receiver and only excelled because he played with Montana and Young. People take a position in these debates, no matter how foolish to try to make their point...........
Again, opposing points of view. Montana came when the WC offense didn't exist. Totally new system, that was tailored to his limited gifts. No knocking he made the most of what he did. But it doesn't put him in my top 5.

Marino: Clayton and Duper
My point made...Marino made these guys names...not other way around.
Fouts: Joiner, Chandler, Jefferson and Winslow in a pass happy system. My god, talk about a systems guy where his receivers made him.
System??? I gave you the fact he had excellent receivers in my other response...but the system was let throw, period. Fouts made excellent throws and had excellent wrs that made great plays after. Fouts still does not get enough credit though.
Manning:Harrison and Wayne
Again, per my post he had great receivers. Still, it is his ball management and abilty that makes that offense go though. Look at them when he isn't playing.
Kelly:Andre Reed and James Lofton (few years anyway)
I will give you Reed, but he had Loften at the tail end of his career. Actually, Reed never gets the attention he deserves when you talk about great Wrs. You could also argue system here for Kelly...but it was a wide open attack, and he found the open guy. He deserves as much credit as you want to give Montana.
Unitas:Raymond Berry, John Mackey and Lenny Moore
ah to me Unitas deserves it because it was always run first in his era...and he still produced well.
Favre:Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Driver and Jennings
I may argue this one. Every wr that left Favre to go elsewhere did not do much after. So who made who?

A constant theme runs through this. Great QBs have excellent receivers. Team game and who made who can be debated forever with no definite conclusion.
To a point I can agree. You will always have the argument was it the Qb, or the system, or the Wrs. Usually all three are there. I think you will also find that in most cases, the teams that won alot of championships also had huge defenses as well. Still, I don't put Montana any higher.

The two that you could argue didn't have great receivers were Moon and Elway. Moon played in the run and shoot and had capable receivers and had monster stats. The fact that he didn't get a shot to play in the NFL until he was 28 is unfortunate, as he could easily have ended up the greatest statistical QB of all time assuming he got the opportunity to play in that offense his entire career
Agree here, but I still maintain Marino fits here as well.

Anyway congrats for your "outside the box" thinking as you are the first person I can recall ever seriously putting Montana this low on an all time QB list..........:xpopcorn:
Being original doesn't make me wrong, just as you agreeing with the masses doesn't necessarily make you right.

We all got opinions.