Montana or Marino, who'd you want on your fantasty team

Which great QB would you want leading your team?

• Montana

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Marino

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Man I must be getting some of that old timers, I'd plum forgotten about their match up in Dan's second year. A really big year BTW. Thanks for the link.

efactor

Coming at you
Marino broke & set most if not all QB stats records with mediocre teams at best, IMO i dont think Montana would have done near as well as he did if not for Bill Walsh's genius like offensive system.

If the tables were turned, Marino would have the SB wins and not Montana.

Real or fantasy, Marino was the better of the two. as Montana cashed in on the system.

Marino broke the passing records because he was passing all the time. Despite the perception, SF always had a balanced offense. Montana would have had monster stats had they thrown all the time like Miami.

As far as the rings go, I'm calling BS on the tables turned statement. The first title SF won in 81 was all Montana. Their best RB was Ricky Patton, their WRs were OK, but nothing special. That offense worked because Montana threw hand seeking lazers that allowed the receivers to be in full stride when they caught the ball and make big plays. Look at the "play" that got them to the super bowl. Simply amazing, not only in the throw, but the calmness to let the play develop when being chased down by a 6'9" maniac.

Marino did have a stronger arm and a quicker release, but he was not a better QB overall. Walsh was just being complimentry. Joe was his guy..............

Runnik's Hambones

The question though was fantasy wise. I would take Montana over Marino for the sake of pure football. But for fantasy, it would be Marino hands down.

cctekguy

Staff member
I think a current comparison would be, Would you rather have Peyton Manning or Drew Brees?

No doubt Manning is the better QB but Brees is gonna rock your fantasy world!

I take Marino for FF.

DearbornDolfan

You have a pretty bad memory....

The Dolphins lost that game because they couldn't run the ball. It's as simple as that.

And you took my comment out of context. I meant if we did an all-time draft and our two teams met, mine would crush yours so hard it wouldn't be funny. I won't tell you who my running back would be, but I'm sure you can guess.

Mike

Administrator
I don't defend Dearborn Dolfan too much when he defends his Dolphins, but in this case I have to make an exception.

I think Joe Montana was a really good quarterback. I don't think I have room for him in any "top 5" though, and I would have to put Dan Marino in there.

I think you could put Dan Marino on those 49'ers teams and he would have some of those elusive titles. I don't think the same could be said if you put Montana in a Dolphins uniform.

I think Marino could have excelled in just about any offensive system. I don't thin Montana could do that.

One player doesn't win a ring in football, and I think quarterbacks get far too much credit and blame in this regard.

This wasn't really the topic of the thread, but I avoided this discussion as long as I could :)

Runnik's Hambones

I don't defend Dearborn Dolfan too much when he defends his Dolphins, but in this case I have to make an exception.

I think Joe Montana was a really good quarterback. I don't think I have room for him in any "top 5" though, and I would have to put Dan Marino in there.

I think you could put Dan Marino on those 49'ers teams and he would have some of those elusive titles. I don't think the same could be said if you put Montana in a Dolphins uniform.

I think Marino could have excelled in just about any offensive system. I don't thin Montana could do that.

One player doesn't win a ring in football, and I think quarterbacks get far too much credit and blame in this regard.

This wasn't really the topic of the thread, but I avoided this discussion as long as I could :)

Hell has just frozen over...

efactor

Coming at you
I think Joe Montana was a really good quarterback. I don't think I have room for him in any "top 5" though.

Then you're only considering arm strength when evaluating QBs...........

Montana made all the throws and there was a reason that SF receivers were running wild after the catch. They constantly caught the ball in stride. He knew when to thread the needle and when to use touch. The throw that won the SB in 88 was vintage Montana. Under pressure, a bullet that was right on the hands of John Taylor.

-4 Super Bowl Championships
-Took the Chiefs to the AFC title game in his 2 year stint there
-Led Norte Dame to a National Championship as well as led one of the greatest comebacks ever (while sick) in the Cotton Bowl.

He was a quiet leader who had a calming influence on the entire offense. He was mobile (the catch) and could win games with his feet (59 yards rushing and a TD in the win against Marino's Dolphins). He led SF to their first championship with a very limited offensive team behind him. Won three more and was within an eyelash (bad call and Roger Craig last minute fumble) of winning two more.

Rating players is personal choice and a lot of factors go into it, but to say Montana is not in the top 5 is a huge reach, similar to saying that Walter Payton isn't a top 5 running back or that Jerry Rice isn't a top 5 receiver. Opinion, but a minority one..........

Mike

Administrator
Then you're only considering arm strength when evaluating QBs...........

No, I'm not. Arm strength is only one factor.

I consider him one the top QB's ever in the NFL, just don't know I would consider him top 5. It's not like I am saying he sucks or something.

efactor

Coming at you
It's not like I am saying he sucks or something.

OK. I am curious however who would keep Montana out of your top 5. Marino, Elway, Unitas, Favre would seem to be the logical choices, but that's only 4. I guess you can go back to Baugh, Luckman and Otto Graham but hard to compare era's and players we never saw play..........

Again, just curious............

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The Dolphins lost that game because they couldn't run the ball. It's as simple as that.

And you took my comment out of context. I meant if we did an all-time draft and our two teams met, mine would crush yours so hard it wouldn't be funny. I won't tell you who my running back would be, but I'm sure you can guess.
yours would be simple, it would be the all dolphin team...pretty simple to line up against that!

Look, I have nothing against Marino....grat QB, I just put him behind another great QB in Montana....you want to take exception to that Mr. Homer, go ahead, just an opinion and in truth no one is right or wrong, it's all opinion....

Mike

Administrator
OK. I am curious however who would keep Montana out of your top 5. Marino, Elway, Unitas, Favre would seem to be the logical choices, but that's only 4. I guess you can go back to Baugh, Luckman and Otto Graham but hard to compare era's and players we never saw play..........

Again, just curious............

A top 5 is hard to do. Ranking "all time" players is damn near impossible because you have to factor in the situation they were in, and see how they would compare in other situations.

Pin me to a top 5, let see what I can come up with. (Montana might end up here, because I am doing this, let's see). I will try to keep it to a more modern era, which is really unfair to many quarterbacks.

In no particular order

• Dan Marino
  • Troy Aikman
    I have to give some explanation here, because the homer accusations will surely come flying.
    Aikman had the ability to throw for 400 yards a game. He regularly hit close to 200/game by the first have constantly, and is one of the most accurate passers in the moder era. He did what was best for the offense. If that meant throwing it, he threw it. If that meant handing it off 35 times, he did that with no selfishness.
  • Brett Favre
  • Peyton Manning
  • Johnny Unitas
Now, the last two could easily be interchanged with some other players. Peyton Manning is an amazing talent, but he can be contained. Teams have done it to him, in his prime. However, he has the ability to operate successfully in any type of offense.

With Johnny Unitas, I can only assume how good he would be in this era. The guy was dragged off a sand lot and dominated football.

I can't sit here and tell you that Montana doesn't belong in this list. I just don't think it is a lock.

DearbornDolfan

yours would be simple, it would be the all dolphin team...pretty simple to line up against that!

Actually, it wouldn't be so at all. My running back wouldn't be a Fin, none of my receivers would be, I might have a Fin or two on the line (plenty of HOF players there), but not too many. Actually, this would be my ideal team:

QB1: Dan Marino
QB2: Warren Moon

RB1: Barry Sanders
RB2: Darren Sproles

WR1: Jerry Rice
WR2: Randy Moss
WR3: Calvin Johnson
WR4: Andre Johnson
WR5: Anquan Boldin

TE1: Kellen Winslow
TE2: Shannon Sharpe

LT: Anthony Munoz
LG: Larry Little
C: Dwight Stephenson
RG: Bob Kuechenberg
RT: Richmond Webb

LDE: Reggie White
NT: William Perry
RDE: Julius Peppers

LOLB: Jason Taylor
MLB: Ray Lewis
MLB: Mike Singletary
ROLB: Lawrence Taylor

CB1: Deion Sanders
FS: Jake Scott
SS: Ronnie Lott
CB2: Nmandi Asomugha

Six Dolphins on that entire team, four of them Hall of Famers and two of them have a good shot at being in Canton some day (Jake Scott was a Super Bowl MVP, one of the rare defensive players to receive the honor).

efactor

Coming at you
A top 5 is hard to do. Ranking "all time" players is damn near impossible because you have to factor in the situation they were in, and see how they would compare in other situations.

Pin me to a top 5, let see what I can come up with. (Montana might end up here, because I am doing this, let's see). I will try to keep it to a more modern era, which is really unfair to many quarterbacks.

In no particular order

• Dan Marino
  • Troy Aikman
    I have to give some explanation here, because the homer accusations will surely come flying.
    Aikman had the ability to throw for 400 yards a game. He regularly hit close to 200/game by the first have constantly, and is one of the most accurate passers in the moder era. He did what was best for the offense. If that meant throwing it, he threw it. If that meant handing it off 35 times, he did that with no selfishness.
  • Brett Favre
  • Peyton Manning
  • Johnny Unitas
Now, the last two could easily be interchanged with some other players. Peyton Manning is an amazing talent, but he can be contained. Teams have done it to him, in his prime. However, he has the ability to operate successfully in any type of offense.

With Johnny Unitas, I can only assume how good he would be in this era. The guy was dragged off a sand lot and dominated football.

I can't sit here and tell you that Montana doesn't belong in this list. I just don't think it is a lock.

-No need to justify the Aikman consideration. I have made similar points in different debates about the best QB ever. However, the fact that he didn't have to do it in the clutch that often still leaves him out of Montana's class.

-Although I never saw Unitas play until the very end of his career, from the films and from what I read, he is the guy I view as closest to Montana as a pure QB. Great stats, won championships. Didn't have the mobility that Montana had, which would give Joe the overall edge.

-Marino. Great passer, great stats but not the overall QB Montana was. To be among the greatest, you should have been able to put your team over the edge just one time. Not like his teams sucked and he played his entire career under great coaches. Montana did it in "81" with a team less talented than a lot of Marino's.

-Favre. No chance in hell. Most overrated QB ever in these conversations. Won one ring. Joe would have had several at the helm of those Packer teams. Made too many mistakes.

-Manning. Great technition, but again, doesn't have the mobility or the greatness under pressure that Joe had.

Good discussion, but I think you're reaching to make your point. Surprised that Elway and Brady weren't considered by you...........