FA Signing: who will be first

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
True.....but he coming off a decent year. Not great but solid. With him moving to Peyton' s world, it could create his best opportunity yet.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Broncos are rumored to be signing Emmanuel Sanders.....Could be a great sleeper.
Evidently there is a big stink about this. Supposedly his agent agreed to terms with KC, but then shopped that deal to Tampa and Denver, and Sanders elected to go to Denver. Not sure there is any recompense, but they think there will be a greivance filed by KC.

Phicinfan

Administrator
James Jones is now waving a flag at Carolina, hoping to drum up some interest. Considering Carolina has NO Wrs, as Smith was cut, LaFell signed elsewhere(N.E. I think) they could really use him.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
No doubt they could use Jones in Carolina problem is that they're strapped for cash against the cap.

On the other story what the agent for Sanders did is not against the rules of the NFL but it was against the so called "code" to shake on a gentlemen's agreement and then continue to negotiate for his client. He does have a whopping two clients.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Read that the Panthers probably can't afford him
Yeah, I keep hearing that, but I thought they had cleared space up, especially cutting Smith. Time to dump one of those expensive Rbs, even if one of them redid their contract

Phicinfan

Administrator
I don't think the Smith contract saved them much. He is still picking up like 3 mil from them this year.
yeah, knew that, but they have restructured J.Stewart, and they lost three major lineman to retirement. Haven't looked, but thought they at least had some wiggle room in the cap.

cctekguy

Staff member
Thought this article was a nice "wrap up" of the 1st week of free agency:

Written by James Will

Clear-Cut Winners

Golden Tate – DET

Perhaps the one player who may have gained the most from moving to a new team is Golden Tate. In a “reality” sense it is hard to say that leaving the Super Bowl champions is a positive, but fantasy wise Tate looks to be stepping into a gold mine. Though there may be some changes in offensive scheme with a new regime in Detroit, you have to believe that the ball is still going to be in the air a lot. For years, Detroit has lacked a truly competent weapon across from Megatron and Tate has a good chance to be that guy. The expectation is that Tate will get a chance to move around a bit more in formations to manipulate matchups and get the ball in his hands, which is something that was practically non-existent in Seattle. We will all learn more about what Tate really is as a player and I believe the arrow is pointing straight up.

Ben Tate- CLE

From one Tate to another, I think that Ben Tate made out well considering the extreme lack of interest in the running back position in free agency (more on that later). While Cleveland is hardly a budding contender, and that’s putting it nicely, Tate enters a situation that many running backs struggle to find these days: a legitimate, featured role. Tate’s Achilles heal is injuries so he needs to prove he can stay on the field, but when he has in the last few seasons he has looked good. As Cleveland continues efforts to distance themselves from the dumpster fire that was the last few seasons under the old regime, Tate enters with a chance to get the ball a lot. As we all know as fantasy owners in 2014, volume for a running back can often be enough to make him relevant to lineups. Tate should have that and, if he stays healthy, perhaps a lot more.

Rashad Jennings- NYG

Along similar lines to Ben Tate, Rashad Jennings looks to be in position to finally get his chance to be the primary back in the NFL. Jennings rode his impressive second half in 2013 to free agency and joined a team with many questions at his position. Andre Brown is out as a free agent and who knows what will happen with David Wilson going forward. What makes Jennings a great bet, knowing Tom Caughlin and his insistence on ball security, is that Jennings has long been known to protect the ball and keep the ball moving forward. It’s hard to imagine the Giants offense being as bad as it was last year, so I think Jennings is in position to make some noise with the Giants.

Nick Foles PHI

Foles is a definite winner in this free agency period, albeit by association. I chose not to discuss guys like Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin in this article because of previous discussion on them individually, but their retention as well as the acquisition of Darren Sproles puts Foles in an outstanding place. With Chip Kelly at the helm, a strong returning offensive line, and a glut of versatile weapons at all of the skill positions, Foles should have the luxury of being able to simply find the open guy and let them make him look good. Foles demonstrated the ability to make the correct reads and deliver the ball during his 2013 run, so I believe that he should be able to build on that in 2014. While there is some concern that the abundance of weapons could water down the stats for the skill guys, Foles is the one who will reap all the benefits. The Eagles offense should be a lot of fun to watch this season and Foles stands to make a ton of noise in the process.

Toby Gerhart- JAX

Another running back that survived the quiet market and ended up in a positive situation is Toby Gerhart. I am personally not a huge Gerhart guy, but he stands to get significant work in Jacksonville going forward and, as I mentioned before, volume alone can do a lot for a running back’s fantasy value. A recent report stated that Gerhart is expected to receive 15-20 touches per game and goal line work, which goes a long way towards putting Gerhart in the RB2 category. He lacks explosiveness and likely won’t “Wow” anybody in the process, but he is a guy who should consistently get solid yardage production even in a weaker offense. Those who are strong at other positions and are looking for a running back to consistently get a handful of points while avoiding zeroes would be smart to look into getting Gerhart.

LOSERS

Eric Decker- NYJ

Poor Decker… A few weeks ago, I wrote an article about Decker and his underrated skill set. In the comments section, a few of us came to a consensus that Decker has the ability to be a highly productive receiver without Peyton, “provided he doesn’t go to a situation like the Jets.” Oops… Well, now it is clearly up to Decker to prove many people wrong and succeed with the likes of Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, or even Michael Vick at QB. The odds are certainly against him because of the quarterbacks as well as the expected “ground and pound” scheme. He has made QB crap into relative gold in the past with the Orton/Tebow combo, so all is not necessarily lost for Decker. But, it will definitely not be easy for him to reach anything close to the success of his recent seasons. Owners should expect WR3 production from Decker with the outside hope that he can elevate to WR2 status.

Darren Sproles- PHI

This is a prime example of a great move for reality but not so much in fantasy. By all accounts, Sproles is expected to be a major part of the Eagles offense this season but likely in a spot-specific role that could vary greatly from game to game, sort of like last season in New Orleans. Sproles should still be viable for those in PPR leagues as he will likely be a weapon on third downs and screens for Nick Foles. But, owners would be fooling themselves to think that he will provide any sort of consistency in production, especially on the ground. In fact, I expect him to actually run the ball very little outside of the occasional draw. As I said before in the section for Nick Foles, Sproles’ presence adds a major threat to the offense as a whole and boosts Foles’ value, but Sproles’ individual value in fantasy is not all that high in Philadelphia.

Josh McCown- TB

Before I go on, I have to say that it was hard to say that an aging quarterback who resurrected his career and was anointed the starter comes out as a loser. Having said that, I believe that McCown should thank Marc Trestman, as well as his two giant receivers in Chicago, for the current opportunity. There is a shot that McCown can have similar success with Lovie Smith’s conservative style along with supposed QB guru Jeff Tedford’s tutelage, but I wouldn’t bet on it. This is one that seems to be polarizing but I would suggest that owners seek alternatives from the aging, career-backup who caught lightning in a bottle in Chicago.

The Oakland Raiders (especially Latavius Murray)

What a mess Oakland is… Many people out there expect this from the Raiders but I am still surprised by just how disjointed that franchise continues to be. From letting Veldheer go, to the botched Saffold situation, and all the way back to retaining Darren McFadden, the Raiders appear to be set to continue their recent struggles. There is still a chance they can do some positive things through the draft, but it isn’t pretty as of now. The quarterback position is still a massive question mark and that does not bode well for any of the skill players in Oakland. The one guy that so many fantasy owners were interested in also took a hit. Latavius Murray was in position to get a chance to show his ridiculous athletic ability on the field as the primary back before the decision was made to bring McFadden back. Given McFadden’s injury history, Murray should still see the field a lot, but it certainly raises questions about what the overall plan is in Oakland (if there is one). Aside from purely speculative/luxury picks, I would try to avoid this mess if possible.

TBD: Too Early to Tell

Hakeem Nicks- IND

Hakeem Nicks’ career has been a pretty dramatic roller coaster ride to this point. At only 26 years old, one would think that Nicks should have a lot of gas left in the tank, but he certainly looked a lot more like an aging receiver in the last few seasons with the Giants. Nicks enters Indianapolis with a great young quarterback in Andrew Luck and other weapons around him, so it appears to be a good spot for him. He is also on a “prove it” type of contract so it is make or break for Nicks here. Nicks’ potential this season is a mystery and a lot will depend on his role and the sort of rapport he can develop with Luck over the summer. He is a classic “TBD” example.

Steve Smith- BAL

Steve Smith is another guy who I feel is a total mystery at this point. One thing we know about “Smiff” is that he will definitely not be lacking in desire and attitude. You would have to know nothing about Smith to not see that he wants nothing more than to prove the Panthers wrong going forward. The important questions for him, though, as how much gas is left in the tank and what kind of role he will have in Baltimore. On the positive side, he won’t be the focal point of defenses with Torrey Smith on the outside and Dennis Pitta working the seams. But, on the other hand, the Ravens and Joe Flacco haven’t exactly shown to be an explosive offense, so there may not be much potential for Smith to get good fantasy numbers. He is one to potentially keep an eye on going forward but, for now, Smiff is another “TBD” guy.