Where will Manning land and why?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I'd like us to list our top two spots and also the least likely team for him to sign with in each of our opinions.

1- Miami- A contender in a warm climate with a legit WR and running game. They are reported to be willing to bring in Wayne. Miami is his off season home and they'll likely offer the most cash though I don't think cash will be the deciding factor and that's the one reason I still don't think this is in the bag for the Fish.

2- Arizona- Warm climate, Fitz, a running game when healthy, and an up and coming defense. They are reported to be willing to bring in Wayne. If he gets off the hook in Miami he'll land in the desert

Least likely- I have said the Skins the last few weeks and there are several teams getting into the mix that haven't a chance IMO but right now I'd say the NYJ are the least likely team to land Manning. A disgruntled locker room, an idiot for a coach, cold weather climate, facing Eli each year, and the NY press all combine to knock the Jets right off of the Manning radar.

bodey24

Staff member
I wish Dallas would make a move to get him. Sign manning and trade Romo for picks or someone in the secondary that can play defense. Dallas will never win with Romo.

RLLD

I think Miami makes the most sense. They have a decent corps of WR's, and also Bush, and Wayne likely follows him there anyway. He has a home there, if he is going to play outside Miami is a fine place to do so.

Arizona also makes sense, for similar reasons, though I am not sure he has a home there.

Washington is a dark horse in this race, but if I were him I would shy away from Snyder and ratface, that situation there is a mess... New York is also a possibility, but I think he might look down upon their team in general, most importantly I would stay away from Rexy and the train wreck that the WR 's are becoming.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I should have stuck with my long term prediction that Manning would not play for Shanny, lol.

Appearing on SportsCenter Thursday, ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell said he's "hearing" free agent Peyton Manning does not want to play for the Redskins and has already informed people in the building.
"A couple of different sources inside the organization have told me that Manning's camp made it pretty clear to Redskins officials he doesn't want to come here," said Russell. "... Unless that changes -- and I'm taking my sources at their word -- I don't think Manning's coming to D.C." The Redskins had hoped to make an aggressive offer to Manning, per the Washington Post, but there won't be much they can do if the feeling isn't mutual.
Mar 8 - 2:00 PM

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay my $0.02

I can see a KC or maybe a Seattle step up for this. Both have done well, KC has some solid talent in house for Manning like Bowe and Charles. Seattle needs a healthy Rice and help, but Lynch may help.

Miami to me could be an issue. Why? you just hired an OC, he has a system he wants to install. But Manning will require his own system, and want to run it his way. I think it could be an issue for an OC type HC.

I wonder about Arizona, like him or not, you paid high premium for Kolb, walk away clean now?

Jets have too much money in Sanchez, and no way to get value if they dump him.

Denver makes sense, but if you have Manning, you simply can't keep Tebow, totally different Qbs, and offenses. So..what to do there?

Net, I think teams my "contact" but only a few will really be interested.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Long shot, but makes a ton of sense: Houston Texans!

8 homes games in a dome, 2 more in the dome you built. Get to haunt Indy for the next couple years and this team can win now. With a healthy Manning, they would be one of the top picks for the SB. Schaub is a nice QB when healthy, but I have just as many if not more questions about his durability as I do with manning. They can trade Schaub to someone like Washington for a couple 2's or even a 1 and build to make a run at the title in the next 2 years.

Also like the fit in Arizona and Kansas City

Where he won't go: Washington, New York and Seattle

Escrow

I believe both Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning will take their talents to South Beach.....

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Interesting Milller and hard to argue with. Of course stories out of Houston say they aren't interested but... Add Denver, I think, to the places being mentioned that he won't relocate to.

DearbornDolfan

Okay my $0.02

Miami to me could be an issue. Why? you just hired an OC, he has a system he wants to install. But Manning will require his own system, and want to run it his way. I think it could be an issue for an OC type HC.

Philbin is a West Coast guy and the Colts basically ran the West Coast. Philbin isn't committed to any one thing, he's publicly said so multiple times, and he's also said he's willing to let whoever starts at QB do what they're capable of doing. So, where's the incompatibility?

DearbornDolfan

I believe both Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning will take their talents to South Beach.....

I'm not sure Reggie Wayne is good enough anymore to be more than a situational player, but if the Phins bring in Saturday that could clinch the deal. The one area the Phins are undoubtedly lacking is right offensive line. The Phins could bring in Saturday to play center, move Pouncey to RG, and draft the best tackle they can get in the 1st round to play RT.

gizzil

i definitely said texans in a really old thread - im stickin with that cuz thats where i want him to go

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I'm not sure Reggie Wayne is good enough anymore to be more than a situational player, but if the Phins bring in Saturday that could clinch the deal. The one area the Phins are undoubtedly lacking is right offensive line. The Phins could bring in Saturday to play center, move Pouncey to RG, and draft the best tackle they can get in the 1st round to play RT.
Wayne still has something left in the tank IMO. Not the elite WR he once was; but still plenty left to be a great second opposite of Marshall with Bess in the slot.

jjtweeks

Has to be Miami or Arizona imo. I think out of all these teams that could possibly want him, I would think he would only want to play for one of those 2. Though if Houston was really serious I think Peyton would love to play there.

xqj47alpha

Banned
The one team that could have used a QB last season was Denver. And Tebow could sit for a year or two and even run the mustang formation when Captain Happy Feet deems it so.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I think that if Houston really wanted him it'd be a slam dunk but I do not think they want him bad enough to dump what they've got going.

Wayne still has plenty in the tank to be effective Miller, you're spot on there. Put him as your 2 or in the slot and he and Manning will light it up. I do not think he could be your number one and be as effective for your team.

Hey Alpha, the NFC is in play until we're told different.

efactor

Coming at you
Not saying he will land there, but I am not buying into the fact that SF has "no interest" in Manning.

Makes no sense for SF to pass up the chance to land Manning. They are a QB away from being the favorite in the NFC and while Smith played better last year, he is still Alex Smith, a guy who lacks confidence and is too inconsistent week to week. There is a window right now with that defense and they need to walk through it while the walking is good.

Plus, Manning will probably play 3 more years, which would allow Kapernick (whom Harbaugh loves) to learn the ways of the NFL. They knew he was raw coming in and needed time to develop. Just another reason to make the move.

They have the cap room and besides WR, don't have a lot of needs to fill. Sign Manning and Wayne may follow at a discount.

Anyway, that would be a dream scenario for Niner fans. Manning, Gore, Hunter, Davis, Crabtree and Wayne, along with a very talented, young OL would make for a potent offense to team with a top defense.

Probably makes too much sense to happen..............:(

xqj47alpha

Banned
If it is possible, the team Manning lands with goes without questioning why.

If it is legal, the one team in the NFL ready for Manning will sign him to a brand new contract.

They would have had to pay that 28 million because they don't trust him.
By releasing Manning, the Colts will keep him.

And in the end it will achieve a goal they could have only dreamed of achieving - Every team in the league that chased or chases PM is no longer chaste in how they feel about their current QB situation. Plus, it sends those teams into a false mode of cap calculations and draft reconfigurations.

He's gonna land with the Colts because that was the plan all along.
Leaving those who got tricked into chomping at the bit, looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Think about it. He has a team he can play for. And he can play for whatever dollar amount he wants.
A team built around him that didn't make one move to change that fact during the season.

Question - what team in the NFL is built by Peyton Manning specifically for Peyton Manning?
Answer - the team he will play for, that's why