What, no Peterson thread - Re-instated

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
okay, seriously, you know he won't be back yes? NFL has a new policy. That policy states that if found guilty or convicted they can institute a suspension. He admitted to a crime, granted misdemeanor but a crime. By rule they can still keep him out. With the current issues, they may very well do just that.

ExperiencedRookie

okay, seriously, you know he won't be back yes? NFL has a new policy. That policy states that if found guilty or convicted they can institute a suspension. He admitted to a crime, granted misdemeanor but a crime. By rule they can still keep him out. With the current issues, they may very well do just that.
It's worth a bench spot in my opinion. When it comes down to having Greh Jennings as my WR4 or AP with the potential to come back, I'm going with AP

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
I think that as of right now its worth a spot. If it was 3 weeks later then I wouldn't do it but the risk is worth the reward of using the bottom spot on the bench for him

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
He's worth a spot.... I think he will be back after the bye and will have to forfeit his game circles since he was put on the shelf.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Looks like I was right. NFL has already decided time missed is NOT suspension time. So if he is back, he has to go through the mandated 6 week suspension period, which they will wait to incur. Don't think he plays again this year. But could very well be back next year.

JScott

Administrator
Looks like I was right. NFL has already decided time missed is NOT suspension time. So if he is back, he has to go through the mandated 6 week suspension period, which they will wait to incur. Don't think he plays again this year. But could very well be back next year.

Where did you read this NFL decision? All I've seen is that they rejected his request for immediate reinstatement, and will have to go through the standard review process.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Where did you read this NFL decision? All I've seen is that they rejected his request for immediate reinstatement, and will have to go through the standard review process.
It was discussed on ESPN radio yesterday as I was driving home. They are reviewing, but expectation is he has to go through the protocol, which states it is mandatory 6 week violation,and NFL does not see time lost as part of that suspension. Assuming they drag their feet another week or so, he is done for the season.

Also, part of this is protection for Minny, as they decide what they really want to do.

JScott

Administrator
Huh, I heard a different take on ESPN radio... that he will have to follow due process but could cough up 6 weeks worth of pay and have 6 of the games he sat out count for his sentence. Remember, the courts settled this a a misdemeanor and he's a first time offender. The NFLPA is not going to stand by and let him lose a season when the CBA calls for what, 1 or 2 games? The NFL/Goodell went nuts when all these personal conduct issues came up. I do think they'll stop the knee jerk reactions but will also stop making up the rules/punishments and get back to what the CBA allows.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Huh, I heard a different take on ESPN radio... that he will have to follow due process but could cough up 6 weeks worth of pay and have 6 of the games he sat out count for his sentence. Remember, the courts settled this a a misdemeanor and he's a first time offender. The NFLPA is not going to stand by and let him lose a season when the CBA calls for what, 1 or 2 games? The NFL/Goodell went nuts when all these personal conduct issues came up. I do think they'll stop the knee jerk reactions but will also stop making up the rules/punishments and get back to what the CBA allows.
This falls under the new abuse standard that was just implemented. So it would be the min. 6 games, per what I have seen and heard.

JScott

Administrator
Okay, 6 is what I heard too. So forfeiting 6 pay checks would then basically have him at time servered. With an additional 2 games of paid vacation. I'd be surprised if the NFL/Goodell gave him an additional 6 games starting week 11.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay, 6 is what I heard too. So forfeiting 6 pay checks would then basically have him at time servered. With an additional 2 games of paid vacation. I'd be surprised if the NFL/Goodell gave him an additional 6 games starting week 11.
Per the NFL release, what he has already done is NOT in the program, that was part of the agreement between NFL and Players union. So he is just NOW going under the perview of the program.

JScott

Administrator
Per the NFL release, what he has already done is NOT in the program, that was part of the agreement between NFL and Players union. So he is just NOW going under the perview of the program.

Understood, that the review process on his conduct is just starting now. AD being out (with pay) to this point was to appease the sponsors when it comes down to it. But I have not read/heard/seen yet that the NFL has said no we will not retroactively count anything he's done in the past towards punishment to be handed down. I don't think that decision has been made yet. First they need to review the misdemeanor case, then decide on punishment. And THEN decide if he's basically had time served.

ETA: Just saw this but it conflicts with other reports I've read/heard about time served...
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Adrian Peterson's paid leave is "not considered discipline" by the NFL, and that a suspension "looms."

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
It has been made, i will fish around,b ut Rapoport isn't the only one stating this.

JScott

Administrator
It has been made, i will fish around,b ut Rapoport isn't the only one stating this.
AP won't play this year friends.

Beg to differ... Looks like one of your sources has flipped his story Phic.
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Adrian Peterson is facing a six-game suspension, but the NFL will likely consider a combination of time served and loss of pay as his punishment.

Rapoport expects a December return to the field for Peterson. The NFLPA has filed a grievance on behalf of Peterson, demanding immediate reinstatement based on an agreement in September when Peterson was placed on the Exempt List. So, this can still go a number of ways, with Peterson suiting up as soon as next Sunday if he wins the grievance. Vikings coaches reportedly are fully on board with Peterson returning to the team, but the front office is split.

Last edited:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Beg to disagree...
To me.... This is a Vikings decision. NFL needs to take his 6 game checks and get out of it. Vikes then need to decide if they want him representing their team....if not, cut him, accept the cap penalty that goes with that decision and allow him to lawfully seek employment with another team.....