Turner back as the Burner?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
Michael Turner's conditioning is far better now than it was a year ago, according to ESPN's Pat Yasinskas.

Yasinskas says that Turner has created the most buzz in Falcons camp -- and that's with his ankle at 90 percent. The Burner should be at 100 percent by the time training camp rolls around and he'll be primed for a big-time bounce-back campaign. Turner has scored 27 touchdowns in 27 career games with the Falcons.
Source: ESPN.com

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
cbssports.com,
Falcons power rusher Michael Turner said Saturday that he will continue his offseason conditioning at the Falcons facility in Flowery Branch, Ga. Turner is attempting to stay as healthy as possible after a nagging high-ankle sprain caved in his 2009 season after nine games. Turner said it's been a constant effort to avoid a second straight injury-plagued season, but it's about the only thing he's unhappy about in Atlanta. Like the rest of the team, he's optimistic about the Falcons' chances in 2010 thanks in part to offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey opening up the playbook. "We have some things that we're opening up," Turner said.
Analysis: We like the effort Turner is making to stay healthy -- we wish the Falcons had done the same last season. But with Turner taking on less than 200 touches last season, his body should be well rested for the upcoming campaign. We look for him to come close to 300 touches in 2010 with a slew of touchdowns as he works behind a very good offensive line and with an improving pass attack that will keep defenders off the line of scrimmage. Consider Turner as a No. 1 Fantasy RB worth a Top 5 overall selection in standard leagues (fourth or fifth overall). He loses some value in leagues where receptions count, but Turner is a definite first-round pick in all formats.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
Coach Mike Smith concedes that he errored in rushing Michael Turner back from a high ankle sprain after just one week.

"I probably made a mistake with him last year," said Smith. "Michael wanted to play and come back in the worst way ... If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have put him out there." Aware of the pounding that Turner has taken, Smith plans to place "parameters" on his carries this season. We're still expecting 300 touches and a good shot at least a dozen scores this year.
Source: SI.com

No s_ _ t coach! Not only did you show a lack of concern for your RB back you made it impossible for fabtasy owners to know whether to start Turner or his handcuff.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
(TheHuddle) Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith said RB Michael Turner (ankle) might be in the best shape of his Falcons career, according to Jim Trotter, of SI.com. Smith admitted he probably rushed Turner back to action last season after suffering an ankle injury. As a result, Smith realized that he doesn't want to run Turner into the ground, and added there will be 'parameters' on how often Turner carries the ball this season. The Falcons won't go into a game saying he'll be restricted, but they do want to be more conscious of the physical pounding Turner takes.
Analysis: Turner is clearly an elite running back and should be considered a solid No. 1 running back for fantasy teams regardless of the scoring format. He should post some decent numbers this season if the Falcon passing attack can find consistency and keep defenses from stacking the box to stop the run.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
More I hear the more I love Turner this season. Rested and motivated to bounce back. Last year I was worried about Turner due to the increased work load he received the year prior.....this year I see a big bounce back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I think he will have a HUGE year. Especially as the offense is set to click with another year of exper. for Qb and Wrs. Gonzales in the middle only helps.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
cbssports.com spin,

Falcons running back Michael Turner is in great shape this season after reporting out of shape last season, and head coach Mike Smith is optimistic that because Turner's in such great shape that he'll have a great season. Speaking to Sports Illustrated, Smith said he "probably made a mistake with him last year" by rushing him back on the field after suffering a high-ankle sprain in mid-November. But because he needed rehab on the ankle all offseason, Turner never really had the chance to relax and thus is in the right shape and mindset to have a big year. Smith also added that he's going to put "parameters" on how many touches Turner will get from week to week, but without setting a pre-game limit. They simply want to be more mindful of the toll the game takes on Turner's body. "I'm definitely out to prove that I'm not a a one-year wonder," Turner said. "I don't want to be one of those guys that people say, 'Oh, yeah. He had one good year, but what happened to him after that?' I want to keep putting back-to-back seasons together."

Analysis: With Turner taking on less than 200 touches last season, his body should be well rested for the upcoming season. We look for him to come close to 300 touches in 2010 even with these 'parameters' in place along with a slew of touchdowns as he works behind a very good offensive line and with an improving pass attack that will keep defenders off the line of scrimmage. Consider Turner as a No. 1 Fantasy RB worth a Top 5 overall selection in standard leagues (fourth or fifth overall). He loses some value in leagues where receptions count, but Turner is a definite first-round pick in all formats.

Remote Controller

Funny how on the 4th he felt "fine" and now he's at 90%.
Sounds like he is leaving himself some wiggle room incase he never repeats his big season.I definitely like 6 backs better at this point.

Edited to say......all of the confidence posted here gives me another first rounder to consider, as you are wearing on me.

efactor

Coming at you
Great talent, but a couple concerns:

Health: He has a small sample size as a starter, but missed a big portion of last year with a high ankle sprain. This type of injury concerns me as it tends to be more chronic. The fact that they are saying he is "90" percent back is kind of odd. His season was over 7 months ago. I would think he would be 100 percent by now, especially if he is truly in the best shape of his career.

PPR: In his great 2008 season, he caught 6 passes and was on pace for 9 last year. This puts him 45-50 receptions (or more) behind guys like Rice, Gore and SJax who are in that 4-8 RB range. Let's be conservative and figure 40 more catches and 300 more receiving yards for those backs. 70 additional points in the passing game. Turner starts off in too big a hole for me to consider him above those guys, especially since Atlanta says they want to limit his carries to 300 in 2010.

In PPR, I can't justify drafting him above CJ, Adrian, Mo, Rice, Gore or Jackson. So 7th at best. In standard scoring, he would move ahead of Jackson due to team association, so 6th at best.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
From Joe Bryant,
Atlanta Falcons RB Michael Turner (ankle) has his weight down, looks lean and well conditioned, according to general manager Thomas Dimitroff during an interview on SIRIUS NFL Radio. Turner seems to be very focused this offseason because he does not want to be known as a one-year wonder.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

This matches up with earlier reports about Turner wanting to bounce back this year. He is out to prove that he is an elite level RB, and will only need to avoid injury in order to return to form. By his own admission he was out of shape last year, and has worked hard to get into much better shape for the upcoming season.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
cbssports.com,
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Falcons RB Michael Turner has worked hard in preparation for this season. After dealing with an injury-plagued 2009 where Turner opened the season out of shape, Turner is determined to prove that the 1,700-yard season in 2008 was not a fluke. The report says Turner has basically lived at the team facilities this offseason. If he does get off to a slow start, fitness will not be the issue.
Analysis: We're excited about Turner in 2010, and he should return as an elite Fantasy option. We expect Turner to post outstanding stats, and he's worth drafting as a No. 1 Fantasy RB in the first round. He should be considered a Top 5 overall selection in standard leagues.

Hurricane Ditka

Love me some NIU alumni.. Diehard Bears fan but I'll be rooting for Turner all season long.
I also think he'll have a great year. Stay healthy Burner.