Thread for news about my Lions

Isn't 40% about the norm for weak defenses?

Their defense is no longer the weak sister of last year. There has been a definite upgrade in talent, they are much more conditioned, and they will be much more aggressive.

Not sure of the depth at DT. If Jackson isn't a go from the start it is a pretty big hole to fill.

Coachnorm

LBs gelling?

Carlos Monarrez, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions LB Ernie Sims said he has developed great chemistry with new LBs Julian Peterson and Larry Foote. "I like them," Sims said. "We sit here and play around all the time. But the most imporant part is when we're on the field, and the chemistry we have on the field is great." Sims added, "Those guys, they aren't like me. They have been to Pro Bowls, they have been to Super Bowls. They know what it takes to be successful and win games in this league. And you've got me on the other hand. I just know one thing: to play hard and make plays. So when you put those two together you've got great chemistry."

Anyone have news on 6th round pick Aaron Brown?

Most recent I have come across was:

CBSSports.com
dot_clear.gif
dot_clear.gif

dot_clear.gif

dot_clear.gif
Lions sign rookie Brown: According to the Detroit News, the Lions agreed to terms with rookie RB Aaron Brown to a three-year contract Friday. Brown, a sixth-round selection (192nd overall pick), will have to earn a spot on the roster. He'll likely be competing with veteran Aveion Cason and undrafted rookie free agent Antone Smith for the No. 3 RB job.

Injury Report No information available at this time (Updated 7/22/09).
Fantasy Analysis Brown could have some value if Kevin Smith or Maurice Morris gets hurt, but otherwise you can avoid him in seasonal leagues. Brown is worth a late-round pick in rookie-only drafts.

Lions sign rookie Brown: According to the Detroit News, the Lions agreed to terms with rookie RB Aaron Brown to a three-year contract Friday. Brown, a sixth-round selection (192nd overall pick), will have to earn a spot on the roster. He'll likely be competing with veteran Aveion Cason and undrafted rookie free agent Antone Smith for the No. 3 RB job.

Fantasy Analysis Brown could have some value if Kevin Smith or Maurice Morris gets hurt, but otherwise you can avoid him in seasonal leagues. Brown is worth a late-round pick in rookie-only drafts.

I can see someone moving past Cason but would expect about as much as Cason contributed.

Is another former Titan the answer for replacing Mason? Drew Bennett has been under-whelming so far in his career, can he turn it around at 30?

Coachnorm

James Walker, of ESPN.com, reports Baltimore Ravens WR Drew Bennett could potentially start for the team if WR Derrick Mason stays retired.

Coachnorm

Skip Wood, of USA Today, reports Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said the Lions are going to have a competitive battle at quarterback between Daunte Culpepper and rookie Matthew Stafford. He believes Culpepper has put himself in a really good position because of his weight loss and offseason program. Culpepper said his focus right now is to be better than he's ever been.

Skip Wood, of USA Today, reports Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said the Lions are going to have a competitive battle at quarterback between Daunte Culpepper and rookie Matthew Stafford. He believes Culpepper has put himself in a really good position because of his weight loss and offseason program. Culpepper said his focus right now is to be better than he's ever been.

Does this mean any more than the typical coach speak this time of year? Culpepper is definitely favored to start the season and if/when Stafford comes in to take over depends on how the season develops.

Is there any shot Demir Boldin makes the team?

Sure there is a chance I just would not say it is a very good one. What little I've heard since his signing puts him on the bubble depending on how many WR's they keep.

Johnson1, Johnson2, Northcutt and the rookie Williams are locks.

From there on Boldin could make an impact but I would be surprised if Standeford, who I've been surprised with doesn't lock up a spot.

Colbert has not been a force by any stretch of the imagination but seems the most likely at this point to hold on to a roster spot as the #6 receiver.

It is the remaining WR's that really have to step up and prove they deserve the opportunity to do more than fill offseason spots. Boldin is right in the mix here with Adam Jennings, Eric Fowler, and Chris Hannon.

Don't expect any big name signings. It would not surprise me if as other teams trim down this last group has to compete with a yet unnamed/unsigned player further diminishing their prospects unless they take full advantage of limited opportunities early.