Thread for news about my Lions

joefan71

Pitbulls on Crack
Repost from CBSSports.com

8Cbs22 said ...he plays for the hapless Detroit Lions

When the Lions step out onto the field this year they will bear little resemblance to last years team.

and - Six wins would be impressive.

I agree 5-7 wins; 4 for sure. They could possibly go better than 3-3 in their division. Last year they were blown out in their first games with the Bears and Packers. The second time around they lost by 4 points in both games. Their two losses to the Vikings were by 3 points each. All three of these teams have their own issues to deal with. Can Cutler make the Bears a contender? How will their receivers perform? The Vikings still aren't sure who their starting QB will be and don't know if the Williams' will be suspended for the start of the season? Can the Packers convert from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense in one year?

charlieinfl said,
" What would the benefit be to the Lions if they started Culpepper - a guy who didn't win a game last season, while Stafford holds a clipboard and watches Culpepper struggle instead? Sorry guys, I guess I'm just not seeing your point."

and

Culpepper is not a pro bowl QB. Maybe he was, but all he is now is a QB who won ZERO games last season. He didn't make the team better last season, so why should anyone believe he'll make the Lions better THIS season?

Apparently you think that if a team drafts a quarterback high they should automatically start them irregardless of the situation. Personally, I don't have a problem with protecting such a huge investment.

This is why I believe Culpepper can make the Lions better this season. When the Lions signed Daunte Culpepper last year he was retired, not in game shape, and weighed 292 pounds. To come in and start with less than a week with the playbook behind the worse o-line in the NFL how could you expect any other outcome. He is now down to a trim 260 pounds and will have an offseason of conditioning and learning the playbook under his belt. Culpepper says he is at 100% for the first time since 2004. Arguably, with the supporting cast of Calvin Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, Brandon Pettigrew, and Kevin Smith, Culpepper would actually be in a better position with the 2009 Lions than he was with the 2004 Vikings, his last Pro Bowl year. Culpepper may be the next Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, or Rich Gannon.

To me the key to offensive success for the Lions this year is not their skill players but rather OL Daniel Loper who they signed as a free agent from the Titans where he was a quality backup. Loper is a versatile player who has experience at all guard and tackle positions. This flexibility gives the Lions the ability to plug him in where needed. My guess is he'll play on the left side at either position.

Obviously with all of the off-season moves we will have to wait to see how the o-line gels. The Lions will definitely be better on both sides of the ball than they were last year and if everything goes right they could be this year's Miami.

Remote Controller

It is easy to forget what kind of kicker this guy is, but all I can say is wow!

-- Lions Wasting Talents of Jason Hanson --
Fri Jul 24, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
Booth Newspapers reports over the last several decades, the Detroit Lions have "wasted'' a lot of talent. They've had several special players of great individual skill who have been lost in the morass of unforgettable losing season after unforgettable losing season. PK Jason Hanson is one of those players. Hanson's career numbers are staggering but what he did last season - his 17th in the NFL - is astonishing. Hanson became the only player in league history to hit eight-of-eight field goal attempts of 50 yards or more in a single season. His 41 career field goals of 50 yards or more is also the most in NFL history. Not only is Hanson a threat to bomb one from 56 yards, but he's amazingly accurate from 40 yards and in, hitting .952 percent during his long career.
:thrash:

This is why I believe Culpepper can make the Lions better this season. When the Lions signed Daunte Culpepper last year he was retired, not in game shape, and weighed 292 pounds. To come in and start with less than a week with the playbook behind the worse o-line in the NFL how could you expect any other outcome. He is now down to a trim 260 pounds and will have an offseason of conditioning and learning the playbook under his belt. Culpepper says he is at 100% for the first time since 2004. Arguably, with the supporting cast of Calvin Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, Brandon Pettigrew, and Kevin Smith, Culpepper would actually be in a better position with the 2009 Lions than he was with the 2004 Vikings, his last Pro Bowl year. Culpepper may be the next Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, or Rich Gannon.

To me the key to offensive success for the Lions this year is not their skill players but rather OL Daniel Loper who they signed as a free agent from the Titans where he was a quality backup. Loper is a versatile player who has experience at all guard and tackle positions. This flexibility gives the Lions the ability to plug him in where needed. My guess is he'll play on the left side at either position.

The Lions last year were Kitna's team and when he went down Cully wasn't even on the team. I don't know what Culpepper has left in the tank but he has been making all the changes that would make him a contender for a starting position. I'll wait to see what he brings during preseason but I would not be surprised if he started and managed to stay at the helm this year.

The key for the Lions this year will be both lines. There are a lot of new faces and it will be interesting to see how things fall out during preseason and how quickly they come together. If it is quick I would expect 3 conference wins.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I just can't see the Lions doing anything if they are stuck with Daunte under center, do y'all see them becoming a contender behind him? If not why not give the keys to the Stafford and start playing for the future?

Mike

Administrator
I just can't see the Lions doing anything if they are stuck with Daunte under center, do y'all see them becoming a contender behind him? If not why not give the keys to the Stafford and start playing for the future?

I think you have to start the better QB. If Stafford can win the job, it is his. I don't believe in sitting rookie QB's unless they truly are not prepared for the job.

I can't see this team as being a contender with Culpepper. He is simply not a good quarterback, and has lost some of his skills due to injuries.

I see the Lions being competitive with either C'pep or Maddy under center. Despite the huge improvements this off season they are still definitely a team that is building and I see no advantage by rushing the rookie into a role where it will not make much of a difference.

Lions' defensive overhaul takes shape | detnews.com | The Detroit News

D is definitely a work in progress but the backfield appears to be solidifying. LB's are an obvious strength but the line, especially if Grady isn't ready still concerns me.

DE - Part time duties with a 4 player rotation may be nice. Avril and White are fine. DeVries appears to be stepping up and is a pleasant surprise. It is acquiring a 4th though that would put my mind at ease, otherwise I am hoping Hicks is able to contribute on a regular basis although at this stage of his career I would prefer he remains solid bench strength instead of a starter.

DT - All our hopes at this point are riding on Grady. I would be shocked if Hill can make an immediate impact but think he may be our next best option as I remain leary of the others. A quality signing here could go a long way

cctekguy

Staff member
Culpepper may be the next Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, or Rich Gannon.

Although I find this quote laughable, I do agree that CPep is the wiser choice when it comes to who should start this year.

Lions aren't going to be terribly competitive this year ANYWAY and many a young star has been rurnt (that's deep south for "ruined") by being thrown to the wolves too soon.

Get some use out of the old man by letting him master the youth on this evolving ball club, and make Stafford ride the pine until he's ready.

Getting TE Petigrew and all the rookies signed and in camp is a nice sign. A lot of players were added in Free Agency to make sure almost everybody will have to compete for playing time.

With the rookies signed do you think there might be a few FA's picked up in short order or do you think they still bide their time and pick players up as they are released from other teams, or a mix of both?

Any players available out there currently that should be targetted?

Remote Controller

-- Golf Cart Accident Puts Bryant Johnson Out of Commission for Weeks --
Sun Aug 2, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
Mlive.com reports Detroit Lions WR Bryant Johnson showed the scars and still-healing wounds from a golf cart accident he was involved in this summer. The cuts and abrasions covered almost every part of his body. Johnson, who didn't practice Saturday and could miss a couple weeks, was placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list. "Bryant, unfortunately, had a golf cart accident back in early July,'' Lions HC Jim Schwartz said. "It was something we were well aware of. We took a couple of trips down to Atlanta to see him. "There are no orthopedic issues with it, a lot of superficial wounds, road rash and those kinds of things. We'll take our time ... with him.'' Johnson said: "In the community that I live in, everybody uses golf carts to get around. (The golf car) got out of control and it was on two wheels and it fell over. I was driving, and it fell over on my side. It slid about 10 yards. There was a hill, but it wasn't a steep hill.'' Many of the wounds still appear to be a long way from healing, and recovery could be a lengthy process. Still, Johnson said the initial accident wasn't that painful. "It really didn't hurt until the first time I tried to take a shower,'' Johnson said.
----------------------------------------------
Golf Carts and Beer!

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Why did I have some "Jackass: The Movie" flashbacks while reading that golf cart post?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAhJXkErM8"]YouTube - Jack Ass Guys With A Golf Cart..And Someone Got Hurt..Do Not[/ame]

Oh yeah.. that's why.
Bryant Johnson, meet Johnny Knoxville. LOL!

DET - TE Brandon Pettigrew being shut down for the time being
Source: Graham Couch - The Kalamazoo Gazette
Graham Couch, of The Kalamazoo Gazette, reports Detroit Lions rookie TE Brandon Pettigrew (quadriceps) is unlikely to play in the team's second preseason game and may be out of action for a while beyond that.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
Pettigrew's injured quadriceps is the reason why head coach Jim Schwartz is shutting him down. The injury is not responding as well as the team had hoped, and it could linger even longer. Fantasy owners need to forget about drafting Pettigrew, but keep him in mind for your waiver wire if he gets healthy during the regular season.