Sports Outlaw Mt Rushmore Series - QB

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Alright, it's the off-season, lets start some good bar room debates. I am going to start a Rushmore series. It's easy, no official criteria, just your opinion. Give me 4 names, all time, for the position listed to be enshrined on the SO mt Rushmore for that position.

Please add some reasoning, that argument is most of the fun in reading these.

Lets start with the glamour boys, the QB's, who ya got on the Mount?

Last edited:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Here are mine:
Montana - Joe Cool, always clutch. He had it all.
Johnny U - he predates me, but going to believe what I read and give him a spot.
Favre - had the stats, had the ring, had the heart! Just a guy I loved to watch, have to give him a spot.
Manning - this one is tough, but he has 2 of the most amazing seasons of all time with 2 different teams. Only 1 ring, but 3 super bowls and the stats make it enough for me.

Close calls - Young, Brady, Marino.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
My top 4 come from the 80's to the present because that's all I know -

Joe Montana - Great career #'s. A lot of big time wins in big time games.

Tom Brady - 3 rings. Reminds me of Montana and does it with a lesser supporting cast at times.

Peyton - Game changer. Always has his teams in a position to go deep into the playoffs. Been to the big game 3 times.

Elway - I have a lot of good memories of this guy when I was a kid so I'll give him the nod over guys like Favre, Marino and Young. Great career #'s. A lot of trips to the Super Bowl and 2 rings, back to back.

Honorable mentions for Kurt Warner, Jim Kelly and Drew Brees too.

jjtweeks

Elway- Numbers and the rings. This dude threw the ball so hard i felt sorry for his WR's
Farve- Never was a big fan but the guys done it all and is tough as heck
Brees- To me the most accurate passer that ever played, a ring, numbers and came back huge when they thought he was gone
Manning- He is the modern day Marino but with a ring
My personal favorite that just misses the list
Marino- the numbers and never having a running game to help out. Slowest QB you'll ever see with that few of sacks. what a quick release
Close but not for me
Brady- Numbers, wins and rings. Another year or two and he take one of the other guys spot above
Young
Montana- was good but he was to me was a sum of the parts and not as an elite passer as these other guys. Hes got the wins and rings but not the numbers for me

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
Joe Montana: the perfect QB for Bill Walsh's system

Payton Manning: nuff said

Terry Bradshaw: first QB to win 3rd and 4th Super Bowl's, dude was tough as nails

Dan Marino: quickest release & the best pure passer ive ever seen play the game.

Runner ups:
John Elway
Drew Brees
Jim Kelly
Troy Aikman

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This is very tough.

So by going by who is out there:
Dan Marino - He had no help, little at WR and no run game, and defenses could not stop him. He holds or had held all passing records for a while. No superbowl win is his only negative.
Joe Montana - he won, was accurate, and didn't make the big mistake.
Tom Brady - again usually has no running game, and has had to change is attack from WR to TE to Mix up and usually wins. Has multiple titles.
P.Manning - barely makes it. Yes he has record for most TDs in a season, but you can't ignore he chokes in playoffs. If he did not have a superbowl, he would not be here.

Next on list:
Brees - needs another title, but I see him knocking off Manning soon.
Farve - ultimate gun slinger, but thats about it.
Jim Kelly - had a special offense that led to most of his stats, but still what stats. 4 superbowl losses though....yike
John Elway - he was a winner, but not all that accurate, he did more with his legs early in career.

cctekguy

Staff member
This is very tough.

It gets even tougher if you include guys you never saw play.

#1 Sammy Baugh: 1st modern era QB, using passing as a weapon rather than a desperation play. Held 13 NFL records @ 3 different positions. Won 6 consecutive NFL passing titles.

#2 Johnny Unitas: 1st Field General. NFL MVP 4 times. Pro Bowl MVP 3 times. 1 Super Bowl.

#3 Dan Marino (see above)

#4 Peyton Manning (see above)

This would make a much more attractive Mt. Passmore than a group of current players.

Last edited:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I am a little surprised by the Brees love. I love the guy, just don't think of him when I think top all time....

Will admit, completely forgot Elway when I did this.....but will stick with my 4, but he makes me rethink Johnny U just a little, still sticking with him though, need some vintage on my mount.

As far as Favre being the Ultimate gun slinger and nothing more.....he made WR's look much better than they were, his weapons were not that great, but he made them look great....... His stat accumulation is pretty damn good, numbers are there.....and then there is a Super Bowl! I think there is a lot more there than just being the Ultimate gunslinger.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
It gets even tougher if you include guys you never saw play.

#1 Sammy Baugh: 1st modern era QB, using passing as a weapon rather than a desperation play. Held 13 NFL records @ 3 different positions. Won 6 consecutive NFL passing titles.

#2 Johnny Unitas: 1st Field General. NFL MVP 4 times. Pro Bowl MVP 3 times. 1 Super Bowl.

#3 Joe Montana (see above)

#4 Peyton Manning (see above)

This would make a much more attractive Mt. Passmore than a group of current players.
I too have been surprised you and I are the only 2 to include Johnny U. Never saw him play, but I can look into history and say I think he belongs.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
When I grew up you either liked Johnny U or Bart Star. It was pretty much as simple as that at least in the Mule Town. I went Johnny U as there was no comparison as to which was the better QB IMO.

cctekguy

Staff member
You're right Miller.

Brees has no business in the top 4 discussion. Nor does Brady and I'm beginning to question Montana.

We are talking about guys who's mere presence on the field changed the game.

Montana goes down, Young comes in, SF wins. Brady goes down, Cassell comes in, NE wins. Marino goes down, Damon Huard comes in, Miami gets killed.

Just me talkin' though.

JScott

Administrator
Montana goes down, Young comes in, SF wins. Brady goes down, Cassell comes in, NE wins. Marino goes down, Damon Huard comes in, Miami gets killed.

Just me talkin' though.

Those San Fran teams were great, and Young was a great QB too. I don't think that's a knock on Joe.

Cassel did win with that NE team, 11 games and missed the playoffs. Brady with that team the year before won 18 and lost the SB. The team was good enough around Cassel to win, with Brady they dominated. Big difference. For most of his career he has won with less.

Can't argue about Marino.

JScott

Administrator
Mine:
Johnny U
Montana
Elway
Farve

Honorable mention:
Manning*
Marino
Bradshaw
Brady

*If Manning wins another SB he bumps Favre

jjtweeks

Yea the ones i named I actually seen paly. Never saw none of the pre 80 stuff so was hard for me to judge.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Johhny Unitas maybe the best to ever play the game

Dan Marino was incredible with the ball at a time the game wasn't geared to help the offense.

Terry Bradshaw and I wasn't a fan but all the guy did was get it done

Manning, Manning, and Manning. The First Family of football and none other even comes close. Hey it's my mountain and I'll have them carve out a three sided head. We'll face Archie to the front because we'll never know how good he was due to a sucky team and without him we'd have never had Payton. Peyton can be facing right because we may never see a better field general. Eli can face left hell he's got a ring too.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Johhny Unitas maybe the best to ever play the game

Dan Marino was incredible with the ball at a time the game wasn't geared to help the offense.

Terry Bradshaw and I wasn't a fan but all the guy did was get it done

Manning, Manning, and Manning. The First Family of football and none other even comes close. Hey it's my mountain and I'll have them carve out a three sided head. We'll face Archie to the front because we'll never know how good he was due to a sucky team and without him we'd have never had Payton. Peyton can be facing right because we may never see a better field general. Eli can face left hell he's got a ring too.
Eli actually has more rings than his dad and brother combined.....

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Alright, let's carve the QB Outlaw Mountain....

1. Peyton Manning - 6 votes
2. Joe Montana - 5 votes
3. Dan Marino - 4 votes
4. Johnny Unitas - 4 votes

Just missed with 3 votes each - Favre and Elway.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Sorry, while Johny U was incredible for his day, his stats and accomplishments granted due to changes in the game) don't stand up anymore IMO.

I guess we should set a criteria, but when you leave the door wide open, then you can't miss the fact that the more recent QBs are breaking all records in passing yards, Tds, wins and for Brady championships.