SO Members Mock Draft Disscussion Thread

jmsmith1

Tampa Bay - I like this pick. This kid was the player I had rated slightly above Chris Hampton. He can play in both a 4-3 or 3-4, is strong, and is another prototypical blue collar kid. He played well on a defense in the Big 10, and D lineman are a definitive need for the Bucs. Solid pick.

Ok. so the smart money has Murphy in the first two rounds. Great pick by Sarge on simple math.

I suspect the Cowboys have their eye on one WR in particular and probably 10 with a top 5 overall.

These players are jumping up in the draft based on what? a Pro Day, maybe?

Somebody is paying someone to hype the hell out of the players they don't want.

Jerry Jones already told the world Dallas is going to take a WR. "We are going to stay with Roy and the young WR's are coming along nicely". Waiting on the River Card. Which one is it?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Can we get a mod type to update the first page of the round three thread so we can do a quick look see on who is up and what was taken?

jmsmith1

Detroit - This is the first pick in which I have to say bad job by Detroit. There is one other player at OG that is much higher rated and much more ready to come in and contribute right away. Im not saying I dont like Urbik, but I think this was a reach pick and one that this other player would have been tremendous value. Urbik is prone to knee injuries and has at least 2 other players rated higher, with much better value. Sad to say it, but this is Detroit's first poor pick.

Green Bay - I like the position selection, and I love this kid, but I disagree with taking him this early. McKillop will still be available in the fourth round and is a much better value there. There is no denying his productivity and he would indeed be a great fit with the Packers. But having said that, I think that the Packers would have been better suited filling other needs at OT, SS, or NT. Now the signing of Anthony Smith may have filled the need at SS for now, and I feel there is still a tackle that is well worth a selection here that you could've taken. I LOVE the kid, just not this early.

Chicago - I LOVE THIS PICK! Rashad Jennings is a D-1 talent that is ridiculously productive. He left Pitt to attend to family issues and a 230 pound back with a 4.5 40! He ran for 1500 yards and 17 TDs last year, and has great hands out of the backfield. I think he could very well push Matt Forte for the starting job and this was the kid that I thought the Jets should've taken. He's a beast and will be a great pro! Great pick!

Philadelphia - I think safety was a great selection here, but I think you really reached for this kid. There are three other safety prospects out there that are much better suited for the Eagles. But having said that, you did just sign Sean Jones and Rashad Baker at safety, so there is no need to rush this kid in right away. So while I disagree with the pick initially, if you have a really good feeling about him, you've got some nice players to cover until he's ready. With that information, can't complain too much about this pick, as it becomes a pick of who you like more.

Minnesota - Antoine Caldwell was kind of a no brainer here. With Birk moving on, the need for a center became apparent. Now, everyone knows that Unger and Mack are great talents, but here's a bit of info maybe some didnt know....Caldwell was voted to the AP All American First Team over Mack and Unger both. This guy is projects to the late second early third round, so this is great value and fills a serious need for the Vikings.

Arctic Dawgs

Chicago - I LOVE THIS PICK! Rashad Jennings is a D-1 talent that is ridiculously productive. He left Pitt to attend to family issues and a 230 pound back with a 4.5 40! He ran for 1500 yards and 17 TDs last year, and has great hands out of the backfield. I think he could very well push Matt Forte for the starting job and this was the kid that I thought the Jets should've taken. He's a beast and will be a great pro! Great pick!

Great example of "The SO Butterfy Effect"

Had Chi not selected Unger in Rd #1, Seattle would have instead of a Safety in Rd #2, and Jennings would have been their Rd #3 pick.

I thought hard between Jennings and Wood for the #3 pick by Seattle before selecting Wood based on the Oline/C being the far greater need

dukdown

Banned
With his showing at the Combine, I feel that McKillop solidified a late 3rd round grade. Like Casey, he's just one of those type of players that I feel will show up on Ted Thompson's radar.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Philadelphia - I think safety was a great selection here, but I think you really reached for this kid. There are three other safety prospects out there that are much better suited for the Eagles. But having said that, you did just sign Sean Jones and Rashad Baker at safety, so there is no need to rush this kid in right away. So while I disagree with the pick initially, if you have a really good feeling about him, you've got some nice players to cover until he's ready. With that information, can't complain too much about this pick, as it becomes a pick of who you like more.
Understand this is a move of preference. I love this kid, has speed and ball hawking ability the Eagles will need long term to replace Dawkins. I know some have other rated higher..but for the man to man defense that Philly runs...this kid fits perfectly!

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Homer time. McKillop averaged about 11 tackles/game over the past 2 seasons and had his best season 2 years ago when the Big East was almost as nasty in football as they are in basketball this year. The knock on him is a lack of athleticism, but yet he scored consistently well on all of the Combine drills. I'm not hesitant at all right now to say he'll ultimately be a more valuable pro than 2 of the 3 USC guys. (Cushing, Mathews, Ray-Ray), partly because I think some of their production was based on feeding off one another. (Not in a vampiric sense, of course) LOL
I like Caldwell alot and he was my backup plan in case I didn't get Mack in the first. The first team all-american nod, however, was more a product of the team and conference he played in, IMO. He's a NFL-ready guy though, who someone will be very lucky to snag in the 3rd-5th round area on draft day.

jmsmith1

Yeah, I agree on McKillop. My only thing was that I think he was so far under the radar that you could've got him in the next round. But sometimes, I can see making sure you get THE guy you need even if you have to pay him a little more.

Pretty sure the Ravens are near their deadline

dukdown

Banned
How is a guy who was a unanimous All-Big East 1st team linebacker 2 years running and Big East Defensive Player of the Year under the radar? You know, they vote for that stuff.

jmsmith1

How is a guy who was a unanimous All-Big East 1st team linebacker 2 years running and Big East Defensive Player of the Year under the radar? You know, they vote for that stuff.

Because he's probably a late second or early third round talent that grades out from all the experts as a fourth rounder. The disparity seems to me to be that some question him, and I think he is one of those players that his grade should be higher than it is, thus under the radar. I guess I didnt mean it in the context that you did.

dukdown

Banned
Because he's probably a late second or early third round talent that grades out from all the experts as a fourth rounder. The disparity seems to me to be that some question him, and I think he is one of those players that his grade should be higher than it is, thus under the radar. I guess I didnt mean it in the context that you did.

Just to ask, not attacking, just curious, what 'experts' do you read? Which sites do you frequent for player evaluation and rankings? I know I like what Scott Wright at NFL Draft Countdown does.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I gravitate towards Pro Football Weekly's draft coverage. I like their site and I buy their preview magazine the day it hits the shelves every year.
Their player rankings aren't always as accurate as some, but I LOVE that they aren't afraid to list true negatives (i.e. possible character/coachability problems), unlike most sources.

jmsmith1

Just to ask, not attacking, just curious, what 'experts' do you read? Which sites do you frequent for player evaluation and rankings? I know I like what Scott Wright at NFL Draft Countdown does.

I dont know that I list one thing over another but here are the various sources I look at:

1. Mel Kiper - The guy is the Yoda of the draft.
2. ESPN NFL Draft Insider
3. WalterFootball.com
4. Scout.com
5. ProFootballWeekly
6. Todd McShay
7. Scott Wright's Draft Countdown website
8. NFLDraftDog.com
9. CBSNFL NFLDraftScout.com
10. DraftDaddy.com

First, I look at the needs and usually get that from ESPN Insider since its the most up to date with information and needs.

Second, I then look at the position rankings and blurbs about each player. I find which player, in my opinion fits the scheme of the coaches.

Third, I compare the average rankings of where that player is graded/projected in the draft to where they are picked on here and make my assessment.

Definitely a fair question, hope this helps and only increases my integrity around here! ;)