SO Members Mock Draft Disscussion Thread

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Now on to round 3 ! Nice work by everyone thus far.
The steal of the draft so far in my opinion was Josh Freeman by the Panthers. I had actually forgotten that he wasn't picked in the first round since most mocks have him going there.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
The steal of the draft so far in my opinion was Josh Freeman by the Panthers. I had actually forgotten that he wasn't picked in the first round since most mocks have him going there.

I was hoping he would keep sliding to Arizona. Leinart wasn't a Wisenhunt pick after all.

jmsmith1

More opinions on picks!!!

Indianapolis - Your top 4 needs were WR, OLB, DT, and RB. Landing Peria Jerry was a great get and now you addressed WR. While I definitely think you made the right move in addressing WR here, I just think that Williams might have been a slight reach. He grades out to a late 3rd rounder and he ran a 4.58 at the combine. I think that there was one other WR that would have given you better value and is a big fast threat...similar to what they lost in Harrison -- and to maintain integrity, I'll leave him nameless. PM me if you want to know. In the end, lets hope that Williams special teams play is what makes him worthy of the second round selection.

Tennessee - Your top 4 needs were QB, WR, DT, and CB. You didnt necessarily address those needs first, but you got Laurinitis who will pay great dividends for your D. Byrd is arguaby the top CB on the board at this point. He's only 5-10 and didnt run his 40 at the combine, but is a perfect Cover 2 CB. He doesnt have elite speed, but he has fluid, explosive hips and makes plays all over the field. Solid pick.

Arizona - Needs at RB, TE, LT, and OLB. Possibly WR given the Boldin situation. RB you could've waited on for sure, but got what could be a great back. Robert Ayers does not necessarily fill a need for Arizona, however, you did lose Antonio Smith at DE and its still uncertain if Bertrand Berry will resign. So I get the selection. Ayers is extremely explosive off the ball. He will not need to do much more than refine technique to be a consistent producer. Hard to argue with the selection. Good pick.

Pittsburgh - I completely agree with your mentality behind the selection of O line again. First, the pundits in the beginning of the year were loathing the existence of the Steelers O line. My how their tune changed at the Super Bowl. But the fact does exist that there is a need to get younger now at O line. Levitre projects perfectly to where you picked him. He actually played tackle in college for some time and is durable and consistent. NFL experts love his attitude and work ethic. He'll definitely be a great pro. Very solid pick.

Fire

in the hole
Wow, lots of solid picks at the end of round 2. Had many, if not all, of my targets for the start of round 3 taken recently. Then the news of the Peterson for Redding trade has thrown me for a loop. I'm working tonight, so I will start round 3 when I get home in the morning.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Byrd is arguaby the top CB on the board at this point. He's only 5-10 and didnt run his 40 at the combine, but is a perfect Cover 2 CB. He doesnt have elite speed, but he has fluid, explosive hips and makes plays all over the field.

I had Byrd slotted as my 3rd round pick as a rotational CB to replace Bryant McFadden or free safety to slide next to Polamalu. Even though he measured a bit shorter at the Combine, I really liked what I saw on tape and read about him. I dig DB's who are at least willing to play run support as well as turn and run with WR's.

Fire

in the hole
Really struggled with this pick for Detroit. Felt I had to go with the best athlete here, as I think I would have been reaching too far for other needs. Hopefully dropping into the third round can light a fire under this guy so he can play up to his potential ability.

Was targeting Brace, Hood, Freeman, Ayers, or Levitre with this pick, in that order. If they were gone I would have settled for Robiskie, as Detroits 3rd WR at this time is John Standeford. One by one these players all got plucked off the board, so I seem to have gotten stuck with "Mr. Potential".

Will be addressing more of a perceived need with my second pick in this round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Maybe its me, I am an OSU grad...but I just don't seem to be as high on Robiskie as some of you. I don't know why..just gut feel...but I don't see him doing that well

Phicinfan

Administrator
This is the second reference to this I have read. I have not seen ONE mock that has Freeman going in the first. In fact, I have seen multiple drafts that have him not going till the third.

I like him...but I think first round is way too high for Freeman. Heck, late second is way too high...IMO.

bobbeaux

Maybe its me, I am an OSU grad...but I just don't seem to be as high on Robiskie as some of you. I don't know why..just gut feel...but I don't see him doing that well

i think robiskie will be a great possession receiver in the nfl . . . and will get the occassional blow past a guy for a quick score . . . i'd love to see the titans grab this guy as he's built to work on his blocking and would be a nice addition to this short passing game . . . ;)

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
This is the second reference to this I have read. I have not seen ONE mock that has Freeman going in the first. In fact, I have seen multiple drafts that have him not going till the third.

I like him...but I think first round is way too high for Freeman. Heck, late second is way too high...IMO.

I personally agree with this completely but I've seen 2 mocks including Mel Kiper and Todd McNobody that have him going in the late first to a team trading back into the round to grab him. Similar to the Flacco situation last year.

I see him as just an average guy with average skills in an average program who just happens to have above average size, but history shows that those attributes do not a pro QB make.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I personally agree with this completely but I've seen 2 mocks including Mel Kiper and Todd McNobody that have him going in the late first to a team trading back into the round to grab him. Similar to the Flacco situation last year.

I see him as just an average guy with average skills in an average program who just happens to have above average size, but history shows that those attributes do not a pro QB make.
:nod:

I too think someone may take him too early...but again, 2nd round to me is way too early. But if Mel says it.............;):biglaugh:

I do wonder though what the heck the Jets plan to do at Qb dunno:

bobbeaux

the jets do have some younger guys at the qb position, but with the improved o-line that brett favre and thomas jones were able to appreciate last year, i don't think they are completely lost at the qb position . . . what they have is probably better than freeman . . . i think a veteran presence even on the sideline would be a smart move for this team though . . . ;)

bobbeaux

Very happy to have Levitre available with my 2nd round pick. Along with Mack as our new Center, we're well on the way towards strengthening the only obvious negative on the team, the O-line.
Despite what Ben mentioned during the SB postgame ceremony, it needs a serious influx of new talent after losing Hartings and Faneca in consecutive offseasons. I may've just replaced them both with these 2 selections.

i really like these 2 picks for this team and you got value in an area of need both times . . . levitre would have been very popular at the top of the 3rd in our draft . . . probably won't make it to the steelers in the real draft, but an excellent pick none the less . . . ;)

jmsmith1

My turn!!! LOL

Detroit - I have to say that the Lions GM is really killing this draft. He's make great selections and really filling areas of need. Michael Johnson, athletically speaking, is an upgrade over any DE they have right now. My only concern with him would be is he going to give max effort. He ran a 4.59 40 and one team had him at 4.49. He has first round talent, but does he give first round effort? If he can overcome his inconsistency, he could be reminiscent of Javon Kearse and be the steal of the draft.

St. Louis - Mike Mickens is a good pick here. He projects to this exact draft point and is a natural cover corner. Should help quickly. His only drawback is that some question his toughness but he's going from a #1 corner at Cincy to a #2 in St. Louis, so he should show better. Good pick.

Kansas City - I actually really like this pick. I think Greene is really underrated and while he didnt run great at the combine, I think his body of work (running for 100 yds in every game this season) and productivity are hard to ignore. He'll be a very good complimentary back to Johnson. He does have small hands and isnt a polished receiver out of the backfield> Think of him as a slower version of Michael Turner. Still a solid pick.

Seattle - At first glance I wasnt sure about this pick, but at closer glance this is a perfect pick. Seattle already addressed needs at WR in the FA market and drafted their needs at OT and S. Wood is quietly sneaking into round three in the real draft. He is explosive and consistent, something that Hasselbeck could use given how banged up he's gotten lately. Everyone describes Wood with the same word, "rock". Very good selection!

Dallas - I know that the loss of TO presents a need at WR, and Murphy is a good pick here. He was the receiver that I told Indy that they should probably have taken over Williams. Murphy has size at 6-2 and speed with his 4.43 40. Murphy's biggest questions are his route running and his blocking. But surrounded by the talent at either Indy or Dallas, I thought he would do well. He should be a nice compliment to Williams and Co. and brings another speed element, as well as return ability to Big D.

Cincinnatti - Johnathan Luigs is a big lineman that has the size to handle big defensive lineman, but some question if he has the strength. Having said that, whatever he lacks in strength he makes up with technique and awareness. He's explosive off the line and was the anchor on a line that led to two first round running backs in 2007 (Jones and McFadden) as well as winning the Rimington Award. Very solid lineman, and whats more important for Cincinnatti is that he is a clear cut moral kid and a leader, with no worries of off the field issues. Very solid pick here too.

Arctic Dawgs

Seattle - At first glance I wasnt sure about this pick, but at closer glance this is a perfect pick. Seattle already addressed needs at WR in the FA market and drafted their needs at OT and S. Wood is quietly sneaking into round three in the real draft. He is explosive and consistent, something that Hasselbeck could use given how banged up he's gotten lately. Everyone describes Wood with the same word, "rock". Very good selection!

The original plan was Rd #1 : OT (J.Smith, E.Monroe), Rd #2 : C (Mack, Unger), Rd #3 : RB

The selection of Unger at #18 by Chicago through a wrench into that.

I didn't really like C or RB after that for the 2nd pick. Now I don't think I would chance Wood making it to the 3rd with the way he has been climbing the rankings post Combine

If we were starting now, I would go Rd #1 : OT (J.Smith, E.Monroe), Rd #2 : C (Mack, Unger, Wood), Rd #3 : RB/LB, Rd #4 : RB/LB

I'm a little confused with Seattles trade over the weekend. It looks like the 'Hawks have too much $/many Players for Dline now (adding Cole and Redding to all the recent draft picks). Trading off Peterson seems to be more of a cap move so I don't see a 1st rd LB (maybe 2nd or 3rd though)

The selection of Safety was a backup plan after losing out on the C/RB available. That would probably be a LB now under the same conditions (not having a C or RB worthy of that pick).

jmsmith1

First, in regards to Robiskie, while I dont think he is an elite WR, I do think he fills alot of the same roles that Burress does. He's a tall, fast, rangy WR with solid hands, especially in the end zone. He blocks and is a coach's player and provides another option with Smith and Boss. Not to mention, we may have Burress and nothing may happen at all. In that case, we add an upgrade over Hixon and Manningham in red zone threats.

As for Freeman, I think he is a poor man's version of Duante Culpepper in his early years. I think Freeman's best chance is to sit for 2-3 years (a la Aaron Rodgers) and gain confidence and consistency. But one never knows. I think he is the bridge between the top 2 QB prospects and the dropoff later on so he gets a higher grade than perhaps he deserves.

In regards to Seattle, now I realize why you didnt like my discussions earlier as I was the one publicly saying to take Alex Mack. But I think there is still a good CB left that you could grab that would thrive. Still plenty of players out there.

Arctic Dawgs

In regards to Seattle, now I realize why you didnt like my discussions earlier as I was the one publicly saying to take Alex Mack. But I think there is still a good CB left that you could grab that would thrive. Still plenty of players out there.

LOL, I don't believe I commented on that. I expect Pittsburg to select Mack. No way do I see Unger to Chicago though. I don't think he's a 1st rounder even. I now expect Seattle to select Unger or Wood in the 2nd Rd

Seattle better not select a CB in the first 4 rounds. They have Trufant and have used their first pick twice in the last 3 years on a CB. TR will be the "Millen" of CB's if he does